Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Day 13 - 17...Im Still Here

Hey strangers…..


Things have been super busy so I missed some blog posts since last week.  So here is a quick update on the last few days.

Friday – Rest day
Scheduled rest day so I took full advantage.  I did some running around preparing for a soccer camp at our church the next morning.  Then we got some rain that ruined everything.


Saturday – Flex day Rest Day
The rain from Friday night ruined all my plans.  We had a soccer camp that morning and I planned to get my 3 miles in while running around with all the kids.  It was supposed to be a nice and easy flex day.  After the rain out, I pretty much turned the flex day into an extra rest day, whoops lol.


Sunday – Long Run
I had 8-10 miles on the schedule.  I woke up at 4am, threw my stuff on, did some stretching, and away I went.  I tried to keep it slow in the first mile while my legs got warmed up before I started to pick up the pace.  I felt pretty good through the first few miles but slowly lost all the pep in my legs again.  Two long runs in a row!!!  I made it to mile 5 and hit a gel shot as I turned around and headed back home.  Most of the way back home I alternated running and walking because I was feeling some pretty good tightness in my hamstrings, calves, and IT Band.  I didn’t want to push the envelope in week 3 of marathon training; we still have a LONG way to go.  Funny thing, the gel shot must have kicked in around mile 8 because I had a really strong section from mile 8.5 to mile 9.5 where I was clicking off pretty smoothly.  This has me questioning my fuel before my long runs; I may need more food before I start.  Then I closed out the last half mile by walking it home for my cool down.  The run ended up being 10 miles at about 11:20 min/mile pace.  I was grinding the whole way and the shower when I got home was the best feeling in the world lol.

Monday – Rest Day
Scheduled rest day.  After the long run, I was pleasantly welcoming a rest day.

Tuesday – Hills
I woke up early this morning and hit the mountain.  When my alarm went off, I spent about 5 minutes debating whether I should sleep another couple hours and run tonight or get up and tackle the mountain.  Obviously I decided to get up and give it a go.  I thought I was going to throw down a solid run up the mountain but the mountain had other plans.  Again, grinding up the mountain!!  This was expected though, I knew this was going to be a combination of running and power hiking so no regrets here.  As I slugged my way up the mountain I hated the decision to get up this morning but once I got to the top it worth the grind, the early morning was beautiful.


So we are plugging away at marathon training.  Over the past couple weeks I have had some tightness in my IT Band that was concerning me but it seems to have been general soreness and tightness.  As my legs get in shape I feel my legs recovering faster and less tightness in my IT Band.  As far as my mental training goes, I’ve really been trying to stay positive through all these horrible runs lately.  CORDIS mentioned something last Tuesday that has really stuck with me…. “Love the misery and grit your teeth – that’s what get’s you through on race day”.  I NEED THESE RUNS!!...Such a wise man lol….but in all honesty he is 100% correct.  When I am 20 miles into the marathon and I have that 10K left to finish, it will be these grinding runs that will keep me going and get me to the finish line in Vegas.

Do you find any positives in those runs where you’re just grinding the whole way through?

What fuel do you use before you knock out your long runs??  

5 comments:

  1. I always try to remind myself that those hard runs, the ones where I feel like I am dying and wonder why I even run, haha, those runs make me prepared. They help humble me and remember that running is hard and not to be messed with. But they also help me remember that I can push through it and still meet my goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I practice my mental strategies during those crappy runs. I try zoning out or flipping through songs in my Spotify to see which ones distract me from the pain. Most recently it's been "Larger Than Life" by the Backstreet Boys which makes no sense since it's a super old song and I didn't even like the Backstreet Boys (I was NSYNC all the way, haha). So weird!

    I hope that you are rewarded with a super good run very very soon! I feel like one must be in the cards for you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That View!! SO pretty!
    I would think the heat for you right now is factor too? sucking some energy. I know every one is now impacted as bad as I am, but you have some serious heat.
    I had a hard time this morning and I just took a turn that took me a bit farther away. Sometimes I just go another mile out from my house to make myself keep running even if it's slow, and I few miles at 10:55 or something too this a.m. Hang in there and stretch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. way to get it done, and that's what I always think about when it totally stinks, "yeah, but I did it!" Regarding nutrition....you just have to experiment with what works for you . Certain things make me bonk like crazy, I go from feeling weak, to feeling really bad! so I tend to stay away from gels and shots during a run or hike. Remember too that good nutrition for running is a 24/7 event so take a look at your overall diet and make sure the things you should be getting, such as adequate protein and recovery carbs, are on the plate! I know my protein is lacking often, so I keep some EPIC bars handy and also have a bin of protein shake powder around somewhere. There's a lot of good info out there. And a bunch of portable, quick things to carry along. Start experimenting to know what will be good on race day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I figure those tough runs are prime marathon training. It's the grit that gets you through it. That being said, I really need to get out and log in some miles today!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!