Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Day 11...Back on the Horse??


There had to be something wrong with my Garmin because it registered 106* when I went on my run at 9pm last night.  To be honest, without the sun beating down on you the temperatures are actually pretty tolerable, you should all try it sometime lol.


My plan called for 3.5 miles to be run “As You Feel”.  The training plan describes these runs as “leave your watch and your cares behind.  Run for the fun of it, not because you’re training.  Run as fast-or as slow-as you like”.  This may become my favorite training run because there are no requirements around how it has to be done.  Heck I could have walked the entire thing if I felt like it!!  I believe that we often get caught up in the requirements of the run and it takes away from our mental preparedness.  I have this LONG run coming up and I know it’s going to shred my legs…I have speed work coming up and I know my legs are going to be dead….etc.  So to have a run where you can run solely on the way your body feels, it’s actually quite refreshing.

Regardless of how slow I COULD have completed this run, this was actually my best run since last Thursday.  I threw on my running shoes, grabbed Buster, and headed out the door.  (Reminder, it was 9pm and it was 106* outside lol).  We arrived at the park a half mile in; I threw off my shoes, and continued with my warm up mile.  Closing out my warm up mile, I set Buster up with some nice cold water and proceeded to knock out two more miles.  This is where things started to get good, mile 2 clicked off at 8:27 min/mile and mile 3 clicked off at 8:12 min/mile.  I was surprised by how easy things felt after that grueling 7.5 miles on Tuesday.  After I clicked off my third mile, I grabbed Buster, and we had a nice slow cool down on the way home.  Pretty solid run!


Couple key points from this run…

1)      The power of a short memory!  I know how it goes and all of you reminded me that I just needed to let Tuesday’s run go.  Bad runs happen and there are plenty of other runs to get back in the groove of things.  Just like that I pull out a good run and all is right in the universe.

2)      Warm up and cool down.  Over the last couple weeks I have been making a huge effort to get in a warm up and cool down.  I was explaining this whole mindset to Mrs. Schlub last night.  When I was training hard at the end of last year, I thought I needed to run ALL the miles at the desired pace.  If I had 4 miles on the plan, that meant I had to run 4 miles at whatever pace I had planned.  Recently, I am looking at the 4 miles as total time on my feet.  So mile 1 and 4 may be warm up and cool down, while mile 2 and 3 are the only miles I’m really running hard.  I have to say, so far it seems to be working exceptionally well and I really hope I’m onto something here.

There you have it, with a little rest and a different mindset; I’m able to throw down a solid run.  Excellent confidence builder as I head into the weekend with a regular run tonight and a long run on Sunday.  Let’s try and keep this trend going!!

What aspects of your training really boost your confidence?  When was the last time you finished an exercise or run and you were on cloud nine??

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes, especially during marathon training, running can start to feel like another thing on your to do list. It becomes something else that you have to do, instead of something you get to do. It's good your training schedule includes "as you feel" runs. I think that's going to help keep you from getting burned out!

    For me, I always got a big boost from a successful speed training workout during marathon training. But I also felt very accomplished after knocking out a long run or even a recovery run the day after a long run, when my legs felt like lead but I got the miles in anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 106? Are you crazy?? Lol, I know the answer. By comparison it was only 44 here this morning....Good job on that run! Sounds like a good one and fun too. We definitely need that in the mix! I am still not doing regular runs but as it cools off and "summer" comes to an end I hope to get back at it. I plan on joining a gym too and gym workouts are usually where I feel my best and most accomplished! Though any time I make it all the way to the top of the mountain feels pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job with your run. Sometimes those "by feel" runs are great--takes away all the stress!
    Usually I gain confidence after a speed workout OR completing a run that I mentally didn't want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to run on feel all the time for now lol
    That is really hot! Good grief I would melt. I think spending an extra 5 or 10 minutes doing a good stretch is really important and always walking a little after a run. I would keep a ball at your desk at work too and roll your feet through out the day :) I have tried and I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!