Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Day 10...Long Run Fail!


This long run was brutal!!  Since I missed my long run on Sunday, the need to complete my long run on Tuesday became a bit of an afterthought.  I knew it was coming up, but I wasn’t really excited to knock it out and at the same time I wasn’t completely dreading the run.  I had church men’s group last night which added some challenges since we meet later in the evening.  Of course I didn’t get home until 10pm which is much later than I wanted to get home.  After spending some time with Mrs. Schlub and the kids we all laid down for bed around 11, much later than I wanted to get to bed.  I should have known this was all leading to a tough run.


This was the plan:
Wake up at 3am (Yikes that’s early…BTW it was still around 90* at that time)
Throw on my running shoes
Knockout 8 miles
Shower
Head to work

Simple plan, no sweat!  I woke up a little early, threw on my running stuff, and started my run at 3am.  Perfect, I’m ahead of schedule!!  That was about all the good news that came out of this run.  My legs had absolutely no pep in them at all and I felt uncomfortable the entire time I was running.  I can’t tell you how many times I told myself “this is a waste of my time, why am I even out here this morning”.  I am 100% thankful that I chose an out and back route for this run, I considered two four mile loops around my house and if that had been the case, I’m sure I would have shut things down super early.

The results were 7.5 miles at 11 min/mile pace.  There was a whole lot of run/walk going on because my legs just wouldn’t settle into a nice groove.  The one benefit was that I got back home earlier than expected, took a quick shower, and then got another hour of sleep before I had to head into work.  Winning!!
I’m not going to spend a whole lot of time racking my brain on this one, just a bad run.  I’ll rest up today and get back out there tomorrow.  Hopefully my legs are ready to go, I ran this morning and my next run is tomorrow night, so in a way it’s like an extra rest day.  There is some optimism for ya lol.

Let’s forget all about this run….so tell me some new running equipment you’ve recently purchased or received??
I’m going to need new running shoes in the near future, I can tell I’m going to run right through my Fresh Foams.

5 comments:

  1. Now that is a serious wake up call! I am glad you got some extra sleep.
    I've had so many of "those runs" no sense in dwelling on it, the time on your feet is whats important. It'll get cooler eventually and every one keep telling me things will start to click! I try to hang on to that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't worry about that run...that is very little sleep to get you through a long run! I have to start taking my long runs more seriously too--which involves a bit more forethought and planning on my part. I have to start dropping water bottles etc.
    I tried Newtons (sneakers) for the first time. It took me a while to get used to them (less drop), but now I really like them. They feel fast! I also got the Garmin Vivoactive. I like that it acts like a fitbit too. It also gives you notifications (text, phone...) I didn't think I would like that, but I do!
    90* at 3 am???? ugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oddly, I believe these are the best runs for you, don't forget about it. Embrace the suck, love the misery and grit your teeth -- that's what get's you through on race day Haven't bought any new stuff in a while, probably going to look into Sportiva Mutants (10mm drop, gasp!) for my next shoes sometime in the next few weeks. I want something a little burlier with a rock plate for all the off-trail stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I can't believe it's 90 degrees, even at 3 AM. I know you said it's hot there, but just wow. Way to hang tough and get it done. Bonus that you got to get an extra hour of sleep, too!

    Funny you should ask about new running equipment! Just today in the mail, I got some stuff I ordered. It included two new pairs of running socks, a new handheld bottle (my old one was worn out), and some salted caramel GU.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now THAT'S an early run! Wowza!
    My recent running purchase were a new pair of trail shoes and a new pair of road shoes. I hadn't purchased new pairs of shoes since around Thanksgiving 2014. That's unacceptable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!