Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, July 23, 2015

You Have No Idea...

Ok people, I just have to throw this out there….

You may think it’s HOT, but you don’t know hot until you have suffered through an AZ summer.  I’ll throw Kristina a little bone here because FL gets pretty hot but she has the beach so that doesn’t count lol.  I haven’t been blogging much these last couple weeks but I try to stay on top of everyone else.  All I hear is “hot, hot, hot” and at the same time I’m over here telling myself “sweet it’s only 102* today” lol.  


Totally kidding, I understand it’s all a matter of perspective and what your body is acclimated to, but just have to give everyone a hard time because it’s a common trend across the blogging world.

So on to the real message at hand.  I am literally days away from marathon training.  I have no idea why, but I am seriously freaking out and at the same time super excited to get started.  How does that even happen??  It reminds me of times that I’ve been preparing for a big exam; you have that feeling of doubt in your preparation and at the same time a level of confidence knowing you want to knock this thing out of the park.  Every run feels like it’s a small building block for something much bigger which also creates anxiety at times.  My leg feels a little tight, my IT Band feels a little tight, is my Plantar Fasciitis flaring up again….and on and on and on.  Which then leads to thoughts about having 16 weeks of beating my body up, and there is NO WAY I can pull this off lol.


The saving grace in this scenario is all the others that have and are currently preparing for their marathon.  So many have fought through this process themselves and made it through stronger and more determined.  If others have braved this path, I know I can follow in their footsteps.  Hanna over at The Millennial Next Door had a great post yesterday that was quite timely for me.  I suggest you go over and take a read if you’re not already following her blog.  In very short summary, overall she wants to look at things positively rather than negatively.  Direct quote - “And instead of stressing over the fact that I’m going to miss one long run and probably a bunch of mid-week miles on vacation, why not re-frame this as a crucial chance to let my body recharge and recover?”

Needless to say, I’m going to take these next few days to MENTALLY prepare for the amazing journey that I’m about the embark on in the next few months.  I really plan to document this first marathon because I think it will be pretty special.  I considered vlogs through the process but I still can’t get over the fact I sound strange and look goofy on the camera so I think I’ll just avoid that whole nightmare lol. 

Just some thoughts for today, high five to marathon training…..I think!!

What aspects of your life are you trying to flip around and think more positively about? 
Do you freak out when you miss a work out or have to rearrange your training plan?

5 comments:

  1. One run at a time :) One run can be awful, the next great...hopefully you will get a good rhythm going. Luckily Hanna has the blog roll of everyone marathon training so you should have lots of buddies for support!
    I sure wouldn't like to be stuck in the 80's for my early morning runs. We had that last week and it was awful. The thought of a long run in that ...ewwww, tough stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the shout-out! I'm always glad when we fellow bloggers can help each other. That's what this blogging world is for!

    What you're feeling is totally normal. I'd be more concerned if you WEREN'T nervous - training for your first marathon is a big deal! Just remember there will be ups AND downs, so take it all in stride (pun intended).

    And, it's official - that heat is INSANE. I live on Lake Michigan and count my lucky stars that we tend to have fairly mild summers around here. How in the world do you run in that?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will do great! I try and look at my marathon plan, and only look at the week, or day that I am in, to keep from getting overwhelmed!
    The AZ heat--I would not be able to take it. We do get some hot days (I think we have had 2 over 90, when it was also humid), but this week it has been great, just hitting 80*. That being said, I wither--such a wimp. I am used to the cool or cold runs most of the year! (as a matter of fact it is 52* this morning!) You gotta love NH! I often think about you and Kristina as I complain to myself during my runs in the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha thank you, but it's been so hot and humid lately I haven't been running at the beach. I've been spending a little too much time with the treadmill! I feel like treadmill running is cheating.... but also saves my sanity some days! Watching my pace creep up and up and up as the temps have risen is not fun! I know it's because it's getting hotter out but it's still so annoying!

    I don't think you should be nervous/anxious about starting your marathon training plan. I'm not nervous for you because I know you will do great! ;) When I talk with most first time marathoners I always encourage them to just try and finish - which I think is always the #1 goal - but you have a chance to make your first finish something really special! I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was down in Phoenix for two weeks teaching a class and had to get up to run at 5:00 AM (when it was "only" in the mid- to upper- eighties) since it was getting up to 108 in the afternoon. Yikes!
    I like your attitude about your training and how others have done it and so you know you can. It's normal to feel apprehensive/nervous and excited at the same time (I hope... because I do, too!). That attitude is what made me finally pull the trigger on the 50 mile race I will be doing in December. So many have done it! So many with less time to train, more responsibilities, and with less of a support system. It's going to be hard, but it'll be an amazing journey - as will yours I know!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!