Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Training Plan


Here it is folks!!! 

The first step was signing up for the marathon.  As crazy as it was, I knocked that out simple enough even though I deeply questioned the decision lol.  So next up was finding a good training plan to get me across the finish line.  I did a good amount of research on all the big running websites trying to find one that I felt confident with.  I needed something that was somewhat beginner and also had the ability to be altered.

I decided on the conservative training plan provided by New York Road Runners for completing the New York Marathon.
 

I really like the fact that the plan shows which type of run is scheduled and even gives a small description of each type of run.  It also runs on a 7 day schedule which is exactly how I've always run my plans.  The only changes I made were moving the runs around so my long run ended up on Sunday and small changes to the distances on a few of the days.  Overall, I'm really excited to get started and feel really confident in the plan I've chosen.

The next step is to start figuring out my paces.  I'd really like to come in under 3:30 for my first marathon attempt.  In order for that to happen I would need to hold an 8:00 min/mile pace throughout the run.  Using that as my gauge, I can plan out my tempo runs and long runs.  I think 8:00 is a pretty aggressive goal but come on....this is my first marathon and more importantly, this is VEGAS!!  Have to go big or go home.

Do you set your goals pretty aggressive in your first distance attempts or do you plan more conservative??


4 comments:

  1. Nailing down your training plan is such an exciting part of the process! Congrats!

    For first attempts, I tend to set goals that are a little more conservative. Since it's a totally new experience and I don't know what it's like to run it yet, I want to allow some room for bumps in the road and "learning curves" and not get my hopes up too high. I do set goals for myself, but I don't beat myself up if I don't achieve them. Last year, at my first marathon, I dreamed of a sub-4:00 but I didn't really train for it, I just knew I was capable of it and it would be awesome. My real goal though was to finish under 4:10. I finished in 4:02 and even though I missed sub-4:00, I was still very happy with myself.

    I think you will find that no matter what your time in the end, you will feel so proud of yourself and happy for finishing. It's an indescribable feeling. But if you put in the hard work you have a shot at any goal you set your mind to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Remember, don't race the long run! LOL. You want to arrive healthy... then go big or go home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on picking a plan. I like the structure of having a plan.I think I set aggressive goals for myself. I agree with the above, most marathon training miles are easy miles, getting there injury free is the goal. When do you start? Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on getting your training plan nailed down! I know that feels good to have it figured out. Now it's time to train!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!