Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, July 13, 2015

Some Fantastic Weekend Runs

As of yesterday, I am two weeks away from the start of marathon training.  I’m not going to lie; I’m starting to get a little bit nervous and a whole lot of excited.  I think what has me most excited at this point is that I’ve done a pretty good job of getting my legs ready because they felt really good this weekend.  I actually threw down back to back runs this weekend and both had certain elements that were just fantastic.

Saturday

I woke up early Saturday morning, grabbed my pack and a small bite to eat, and then headed out to the trails.  For this time of year, the weather was as good as it can get.  I got to the trail about 6am, the temperature was about 82* outside, and I had a nice overcast sky.  Look at the amazing view I had from the trailhead…


This run ended up being 5.5 miles with 600 feet of elevation gain.  I added plenty of walking and hiking breaks to give my legs a break plus my stamina is still a work in progress on the trails.  Plus I took my fair share of video and pictures so that always requires a good break in the run.  I was very happy with this run, I still can’t understand why 5 miles on the trail just flies by and the same on the road seems to be just dreadful.



Sunday

I planned to wake up early on Sunday morning and knock out a recovery run.  My training plan has long runs on Sunday’s so I want to get in the habit of this schedule.  Well I slept in on Sunday, but I’m not going to complain about that at all LOL.  So the plan was to run later that night, goal was to run a warm up mile with Buster, run the second mile at 8 min pace, run the third mile at recovery pace, and then run the fourth mile at 8 min pace.  I totally killed this run, splits came in at 11:49 (We stopped for Buster to do his business), 7:50, 9:12, 7:55.  The great thing was that I actually felt I could run forever at 8:00 min/mile pace, which really helps build my confidence. 

So the weekend was a big success as far as running goes.  Then to cap it off, as I was headed into work this morning, here was the sunrise I was greeted with.  Hope everyone has a fantastic Monday….


What are you training for right now?  What aspects of your training right now are giving you a big confidence booster??

6 comments:

  1. Love the pretty pictures :)
    Glad to hear your legs are running happy. I love that feeling like you could go forever. I haven't felt it in a few months now, it's hard on the confidence...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are gorgeous!

    It's so nice to have a confidence boosting run. The heat and humidity are really taking all of my effort on my runs recently so I love when the air cools and I get in a real good run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo! Great weekend of running! Your base mileage is at a really good point which will serve you well once you start marathon training in just TWO WEEKS!!!! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great when it all comes together! Pretty pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sunrise makes going in to work on a Monday morning a little less rough! Glad you got in two solid runs this past weekend... that definitely builds your confidence going into marathon training.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like taking runs with the kids, they always keep it fun! My legs felt pretty good on a 12 miler this weekend. The heat and humidity are making me get up early in the morning...Love the pictures. Hey, Buster must be getting into shape too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!