Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Hey Do You Remember Me??

Hey everyone, remember me??  Yeah I use to blog here all the time…it’s been over a week since my last post and I know you are all just dying wondering what I’ve been up to LOL.  Things have been super crazy with summer break ending, getting ready for back to school, events at our church, and getting ready for upcoming sports.  Needless to say, blogging easily slid to the back burner.  But everyone just cool your jets, even with all that craziness going on, I’m still running and preparing for marathon training.

It has been A LONG time since I did a weekly recap and with last week being the first time I actually had more than a couple runs during the week, I was pretty excited to write up the recap.

Sunday, 7/12:    
Planned – 4 miles, 2 @ 8:00 min/mile     Actual – 4.37 miles, 2 miles @ 7:50 & 7:55

I was supposed to wake up early and knock out my long run, but the bed was calling my name so I decided to sleep in that morning.  I planned for 4 miles, first mile warm up with Buster, then miles 2 and 4 at 8 minute pace.  This was a solid run, knocked out the tempo miles at 7:50 and 7:55, and I felt really strong throughout the entire run.

Monday, 7/13:
Planned – Off Day                                      Actual – Off Day

Monday will be my off day during marathon training, so I’m trying to get use to the schedule now.  Nothing special this day, went to work, came home.

Tuesday, 7/14:
Planned – 4 miles, 2 @ 8:00 min/mile     Actual – 4.07, 2 miles @ 8:01 & 7:43

Busy during the entire day so Buster and I didn’t start this run until 10:30 at night.  Buster warmed me up a bit faster this night, we clicked off the first mile at 9:24 pace.  Dropped him off and knocked out mile 2 at 8:01 min/mile.  I had to stop at the store during my run so mile 3 was a recovery mile at 12:32 pace.  Then on the way back home I clicked off mile 4 at 7:43 pace.  Another solid run.

Wednesday, 7/15:
Planned – 2 miles recovery                     Actual – 2 miles recovery

This was meant to be super slow, just getting the legs moving.  Buster and I jogged up to our park, I ran a mile around the perimeter of the park, then we headed back home.  That night my legs felt tired and heavy, I guess that’s what happens when you actually run a few days a week lol.

Thursday, 7/16:
Planned – 2 miles recovery                    Actual – 2 miles recovery

This was a fun run!!  My middle son will be starting soccer again next month, so I thought it would be a great idea to get him jogging with me to get ready for the season.  We have a little loop by our house that is a quick quarter mile back to the house.  So my son, his cousin, Buster, and I hit that loop real quick and it was awesome to see the kids finish without any complaining whatsoever.  Maybe he will be a runner like his mom and dad, one can hope right lol.  I finished out the run on my own just to complete my 2 miles.

Friday, 7/17:
Planned – Off Day                                    Actual – Off Day

Work, home, sleep.  Not much to it.

Saturday, 7/18:
Planned – 4 miles                                 
Actual – 4 miles, 351 ft elevation gain

I decided to knock this run out on the trails.  I took my time, enjoyed the trails, and shot some video while I was out there.  Did you all know that I really enjoy trailing running??  Well just in case you didn’t, now you know lol.

Overall:
Marathon training starts in less than a week.  Next Sunday is officially my first run on the training plan…AHHHHHHHH!!  I think I did a good job of putting some good runs in and getting a nice little base built up in preparation.  With the two days of tempo training I did this week, I’m feeling really confident with my goal so we will see how things progress throughout the training period.

Any last minute advise for the beginning of marathon training?  Anything special I should do to capture all the special little moments that come with a first marathon??

5 comments:

  1. Blogging is always the first thing to take a backseat in my world too. Looks like a good base to get you ready for training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For training plans I like the quote

    "In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable." -Dwight Eisenhower

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great place to trail run :) I have not returned to any trails since my injury. Fear of tree roots I guess lol
    Breath deep and enjoy the process. Are you running close enough your kids can come out and cheer for you on the course?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting!!

    Just remember that not every week will go according to plan, sometimes things will get missed or won't go the way you want them to - but that's okay. Just try the best you can and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Sometimes a positive attitude comes in handy way more than that extra 5 mile run ever could.

    Keep reminding yourself over and over: "you only get one FIRST marathon." That's how I remembered to just relax and enjoy the moment on marathon day. I knew there would always be other races for time goals and such, but as for having a fun memorable first marathon - well, I only get one shot at that, so I made it count!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice week of training. You have a great base heading into this marathon thing! :)

    Blogging is a great way to keep track of all of the special moments (aka the crazy ups and downs) of marathon training. Vlogging is nice too! It is my personal mission to get all of my running blog friends to start vlogging, haha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!