Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, July 31, 2015

Day 5...Dominated that Run


First off, I want to extend a big thank you to everyone who provided feedback yesterday.  Especially those that brought their mathematician skills to really break it down properly, it made so much more sense after that lol.  This is yet another example of the huge benefits of using the blog to connect with other runners and ultimately having a support group so I’m not going through this journey alone. 

Day 5 of marathon training had me running 4 miles at regular pace.  The training plan describes regular pace as “a run performed at comfortable, not-too-hard pace”.  Before the run I planned to do a one mile warm up, run miles 2 and 3 between 8:00 and 8:30 min/mile, and then close it out with a cool down back home.  I figured this pace should be reasonably comfortable for the number of miles I was planning to run.  I have to say, this was one of those runs where you go home and say “I dominated that run”.


My two youngest and I grabbed the dogs and headed out for a quarter mile loop around our mailbox.  Don’t worry, my two year old was in the stroller, I will wait until at least three years old before I start coaching her lol.  Honestly, I cant wait for them to get old enough where we wake up early and hit the trails together to see all the beauty that AZ has to offer.  After the quick quarter mile, dropped off the kids and one of our dogs, then Buster and I headed to the park in our neighborhood.  When we got to the park, I decided I was going to kick off my shoes and get a little barefoot running done (I actually wore my socks to get a little cushion). 


I finished off my warm up mile, leashed up Buster so he could relax, and started to push the pace for miles 2 and 3.  Things just got smooth from there.  Mile 2 clicked off at 7:53 and mile 3 clicked off at 7:46…..WHAT?!?!?!  Things were just clicking and honestly, the pace felt absolutely effortless.  I understand we are talking about 2 miles here, but at this point I’m going to take it as a win that my fitness is starting to come together.  After I clicked off mile 3, I grabbed Buster and headed back home for a half mile cool down. 

This is exactly what I needed, if I can get one of these runs every week during this training cycle I will be 100% ready for Las Vegas.  I think the barefoot running had a lot to do with my pace as well.  So often we get sidetracked by the millions of accessories on the market for runners when it really comes down to running in the most basic form.  So I think I’m going to try and throw in one barefoot run each week to build strength and form.

When was your last epic run where everything was just clicking together?  

Do you ever throw in some barefoot running into your training??

4 comments:

  1. There's a confidence booster for you! Good job!
    The only time I get any barefoot running in is when I coach the kids and we do 100m striders barefoot on the soccer field. I don't have anywhere else I would feel comfortable...I don't want to rip up my feet!
    I haven't had an epic run in a while. Probably because it has been so hot and humid here recently. When the humidity drops, I am sure I will feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My next epic run will be when I can descend without being terrified of re-spraining my ankle! :D

    I used to do -- what I consider to be -- a lot of barefoot, 10-15 miles a week. I experimented with all sorts of surfaces (asphault, sidewalk, grass, gravel trail, but never actual trail). I think it is really good for working on your form, but otherwise offers more risk than reward. Nowadays I'll go do an easy 3-4 mile run around grassy fields plus some sidewalk to and from. College campuses are incredibly conducive to this with all of the quads and so forth. I'll only do barefoot if I feel like my form is lacking every month or so. Especially, no barefoot on even remotely technical trails; you're just asking for neuromas and stress fractures. I would discourage you from incorporating any significant barefoot while in a training plan, it requires quite a bit of patience and very short distances ran very slowly. That being said, I think some easy strides or laps around the park unshod is a great (and risk free) way to finish a run on a fun note!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you rocked your run! That's awesome!
    That offer I made to take you and your wife on trails in Flagstaff - - maybe I'll just have to show you where the trail is and meet you there when I'm done. You're speedy!
    I don't do any barefoot running. A coworker of mine wears minimalist shoes - though he stays away from trails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pace will come back! I think it is impressive you can knock that out in the heat. You had some great speedy miles.
    I would die I think barefoot on that kind of surface, I have done it in packed sand along the waters edge and it feels great. I am still trying to get my nerve up to try in grass lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!