Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Day 4...Feeling Sluggish


I want to open up by saying that my legs felt like absolute trash last night.  They felt heavy, sluggish, lazy, and any other word you can think of for tired legs.  I came home and told Mrs. Schlub that “I can’t remember the last time I had a tougher 4 mile run”.  In all honesty my 7 miles on Monday was not as tough as this recovery run last night.

Now to put things in perspective, this is cumulative fatigue we are looking at here.  I had a very mild 3 miles on Saturday morning with a buddy.  Next, Mrs. Schlub and I had old man softball for the church all weekend and like I always say, old man softball usually turns into some speed work for me.  Then I had my long run on Monday night which even though was fairly slow, added to the fatigue in my legs.  So come last night, what else could I expect other than tired legs.  I totally understand and it doesn’t impact my frame of mind, but man it’s rough knocking out miles when your feet are stuck in cement.


One good take away from last night, Buster actually knocked out 2 miles with me.  His C25K is starting to take shape lol.  Because of the heat here in AZ, I’ve been trying to limit his runs to 1 mile in distance and later in the evening when the sun is not beating down on us.  Last night we had the making of a storm so the weather was a bit cooler and I thought that was a good scenario to push him an extra mile.  He did a great job!

Now I have a question for all you experienced runners out there.  Looking at my plan this morning, I can see that my weekly mileage will slowly build in the coming weeks and will peak around 40 miles in week 12.  I know that most articles/blogs suggest the 15% rule from week to week, but what about month to month??  I just noticed that if I stick with my plan this week, I will have run a total of 62 miles for the month of July.  Then come the month of August, my total miles will jump up to 130.  Is this something I should be concerned with??

9 comments:

  1. That does seem like a big increase....hmmm. On a different note...GO BUSTER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...that does seem like a big increase, but it's hard to know without seeing your week to week schedule. You say it builds slowly, so it sounds like you should be fine. Just remember to do most of your running easy, and incorporate a cutback week every few weeks to give your body a chance to recover. I think you have to keep in mind the timing as well. Your July total is low because you didn't start training until the very end, while August will reflect an entire month of training. Perhaps a more accurate way to look at it will be to use the date you started training and measure the months from there instead of doing calendar months. For example, compare your totals from June 27-July 26 and July 27-August 26. That might give you a better picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On second thought, haha, this might actually make the difference appear even bigger. I guess my point is that it's hard to compare months that include marathon training to months that don't, because even when you build up slowly you'll still accumulate much higher mileage as those totals are spread out over many days and weeks. Different bodies can handle different amounts of weekly increase, I think as long as you are taking it easy and feel okay you should be fine.

      Delete
  3. I cannot imagine AZ heat right now....good for you for getting out there. I've been using the heat as an excuse lately (insert ashamed face here).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should be OK with the increase. You are increasing your distance not in a linear way, but exponentially. You are increasing each week 10-15% from the previous week, not from the original "start" week. Listen to your body.
    My least favorite run of the week is the post long run shake out run. My legs are so dead from the day before.
    One thing I have found extremely helpful, I only look at the week I am in--so I don't get overwhelmed!
    Good job, Buster! My dogs are still just sticking with the cool down walk!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Buster! :)

    I think that monthly jump makes sense.

    For example if you ran:

    20 miles
    23 miles
    27 miles
    31 miles
    ----
    101 miles in Month 1

    31 miles
    36 miles
    41 miles
    38 miles (down week)
    ---
    146 miles in Month 2

    That would be a totally normal and safe build with small increases and a down week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Kristina did the math on that one... I was getting ready to reach for my calculator, too. It's a 15% increase each week - but because each of those weeks themselves are a little bit bigger than the one before it adds up quickly. :) The math nerd in me LOVES that you asked that question!
    Way to go, Buster! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buster is so cute! Great job on the C25K lol.

    My max mileage per week goes to 55 for marathon training. Right now I'm hitting 40 something per week so I get 170-190 per month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly, when I was doing Hansons Marathon training last year, my recovery runs on Mondays (after doing back to back long runs on the weekend) were my hardest runs. Even though they were slow, and just about getting miles in a time on my feet and active recovery, I always felt the worst on those runs. Hang in there! That's how recovery runs are supposed to be (I think).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!