Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Day 2...This is More Like it

Good morning everyone! 


So Sunday was suppose to be Day 1 of marathon training, but based on my weekend activities I turned Day 1 into a rest day.  Day 2 came around and I had to make up my run from Sunday, so I had 6-8 miles planned for that night.  I decided to break up this run and that actually made things a bit more manageable while I build strength in my legs.

I grabbed Buster and we knocked out a quick half mile.  This portion served two purposes: 1) it gave me a good warm up because I knew my legs were going to be thrashed afterwards and 2) it gave Buster his exercise for the night so he wouldn’t be all antsy later that night.  I dropped Buster off at home and headed off to my buddies house about 2 miles away.  I held a pretty good pace during this section but still dialed it back from my goal pace.  By the time I got to his house I was already soaked in sweat, he even made the comment “dude you’re so oily right now” LOL.  The only response I had for him was “its so da%* hot out here”.  We proceeded to run walk the next 2-3 miles, this is the same buddy I ran with on Saturday morning and he is trying to get back in shape after his shoulder surgery.  Putting all the blame on him for the slow pace…that’s what friends are for right??

On a side note, how many of you are into those Spartan races and Mud runs??  This guy keeps trying to get me signed up for one of those and I don’t really see the appeal to the whole thing.  I get the sense that whatever clothes and shoes I wear are going to be trash afterwards and that doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.  Maybe I’m just a running purist and didn’t know it lol.

After I ran a few miles with my buddy, I finished up with a couple miles back home.  I slowed it down even more during this portion.  I continued the run/walk process because I didn’t want to take any chances of overworking my legs.  At any point I felt a little twinge or tightness; I stopped running and walked for a bit.  Seemed to work out pretty well because my legs felt fine when I got home.  I had the usual tiredness but nothing to be concerned about.

So there it is, run #1 in marathon training is officially in the books.  I am a huge fan of having a full rest day after a long run so Tuesday was another rest day.  As of this morning my legs are tired and sore but actually feel really good.  I have 3-4 miles on the plan for tonight.

Who is a fan of Spartan Races and Mud runs??  Do you break up your long runs or try to knock them out in one large chunk??

5 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about the Spartan/Mud runs...but if it gets others moving, go crazy! I don't like getting muddy...and I don't want my running stuff ruined.
    I have "double days" on tap for long runs, but when a long run is scheduled, I get it all done at once.
    What plan did you decide to use? On my plan I have a "shake out" run the day after a long run (3 miles, building to 5, as the long runs get longer). I DREAD the shake out run more than the long run, because my legs are tired. It does help with training--getting used to running on tired legs, AND you can actually FEEL the road recovery after the first couple of miles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spartan runs are just artificial trail runs. You can find a technical trail for free that is much, much cleaner without feeling like you're at a frat house. Obviously, I'm not a fan.

    I'm very much in the boat in believing that singles are much better than doubles, particularly for a long run. Splitting a long run up takes most of the challenge out of it if you can go home and rest before the second half. Its not like you're going to stop at mile 18 for a few hours than finish the last 8 in race, right? So why train your body and mind for that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really understand the appeal of paying pretty high race fees for spartan/mud runs but Adam did Tough Mudder a couple of years ago and loved it. He was totally caked in mud after the race, but everything washed out pretty easily. I think he hosed his clothes down before putting them in the washing machine. He washed his shoes too, but he didn't wear normal running shoes he wore Vibrams. I think Vibrams are more washing machine friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a spartan race person. I did one warrior dash years ago and it just really wasn't my thing. I try to get my longruns in all at once, but sometimes with the heat and life, it's hard to schedule a big block of time. I make sure to only break up a few per training cycle. Great work! Can't wait to see how your marathon training cycle goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Full rest days are good :) I need them as well.
    I am not a mud runner fan, too many chances to end up injured twisting on the mud. I decoded a while ago not for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!