Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, July 27, 2015

Day 1....or maybe not

Happy Monday to everyone!!

Depending on how you look at things, my marathon training has either started disastrously OR extremely well.  In the comments you will have to let me know what you think.  I felt really good about my runs the last two weeks and have been really confident with the way my legs were feeling.  I knew official marathon training was starting on Sunday so I was cautiously watching all our events leading up to the weekend.  We have been playing in our church softball league the last few weeks and this was going to be the final weekend of the season.  Now most of the season I have been able to take it easy, let all our other players do the hard work, and I get to be the famous coach who just picks up with wins.  Challenge with this weekend was that we had a game on Saturday night and Sunday night. 

I woke up early Saturday morning to run with a buddy that is getting back into exercise after surgery, so this was a pretty relaxed run for me.  This was the perfect run to end my week and shake out my legs in preparation for my first training run on Sunday.  Later that night we headed out to softball where I actually had to play, and more importantly had to do a bit more running than I expected.  It was a ton of fun and we had such a great time with all of our church friends.  Unfortunately, we got home really late, didn’t go to bed right away, which left me in a tough position for my run on Sunday morning.

Day 1 and I decided to change my training plan around!!  Sunday was supposed to be a long run of 6-8 miles, and Monday was a planned rest day.  I turned Sunday into a semi rest day since I still did some running out at church softball, and plan to run my 6-8 miles tonight.  The thing I am actually looking forward to tonight is having a split 6-8 miles.  I’ll be running 3 miles to my men’s group, we will have our meeting, and then I will have 3 miles back home.  I think this could really work out perfectly since I’m running on tired legs.

On one hand I had to ask myself, who the heck misses the first day of marathon training?? LOL.  Yet, on the other hand, I know I made the right decision.  It would have done absolutely no good for me to go out and try to knock out 6 miles on a couple hours sleep.  That isn’t the way I want to start out this training plan.  Instead, I’ll be mentally prepared tonight, break it up into two portions to manage my tired legs, and have a much better beginning to this training plan.

In all honesty, the flexibility I showed with moving my dates around was actually encouraging.  I don’t want to be super strict through this process and want to focus on training smart.  So we will see how tonight’s run goes.

Alright everyone, did I make the right call?  Who thinks it’s absurd to miss the first day of marathon training??

7 comments:

  1. It's DAY ONE. Don't stress!! Assuming you train for 16 weeks and run for 5 days per week, we are talking about one day out of 90. And that's not including rest days! Kinda shows you how insignificant one day is in the big picture :)

    Personally, I am always more impressed at people who are able to demonstrate flexibility as you did, than I am by people who manage to follow their training plan to the letter every single week. Being flexible in the midst of life's uncertainties builds life skills that are applicable outside of running and shows a great deal of discipline and adaptability. Good on you! You may not have done your miles in the order you wanted, but you still got them done, and at this point in your training that's the most important thing. We're all juggling here; keep putting your best foot forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started my plan this cycle moving my long runs from Sunday to Saturday (It was too hard to get them in before church, and after? It wouldn't happen), and my speed work to Tuesday, because that is when my running club meets for track workouts...flexibility is key. It doesn't matter too much about moving them around, but it is more about getting them in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I think it's totally okay to miss day one - there is plenty of training left. If you're going to miss a day, I think missing day one is the day to miss because you can just say you never really meant for that day to be day one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally going to echo Hanna, Cheryl, and Kristina :) It's all good, you have to be flexible. Family, friends and sleep are super important too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've missed the first day of marathon training because of a coincidental sinus infection for my last two marathons!!! And I PR'd at the last one so I no longer use it as an indicator how my training or marathon is going to go. ;) I've switched weekly runs around as well to accommodate for work, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, absolutely you made the right call! it always makes sense to listen to your body and make smart choices. How did Monday night's run go??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you made the right call to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!