Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, June 5, 2015

Time To Get Things Started

Good Morning Everyone!!

Now that the marathon is booked, it seems like my mindset is set on “I need to log miles” lol.  So yesterday I was headed out to soccer camp and again wanted to get in a quick trail run before everything started.  This was a much different run from last week’s restroom debacle.  I made sure to prepare myself for the entire day knowing I would be running in the heat later that afternoon.  I was drinking water like crazy, made sure to eat properly, and most importantly used the restroom before I started running.

I started up the trail about 4pm, and around this time in AZ we are typically looking at 100-110* weather.  Well there was a pretty significant cloud cover yesterday and I was even lucky enough to have a slight breeze. My Garmin recorded the temperature as 90* but honestly it felt like 75* because of the heat we have had the last couple weeks.  I apologize because I was only able to snap a couple pictures because this run was all business, planned to hit the climbs pretty hard then coast all the way back down on the return.


The climbing went much better than last week, I’m sure it was a combination of knowing the trail this time around along with no stomach issues.  I hit the summit in 21 minutes compared to last week’s 30 minute climb.  I had to head down the other side of the trail for about a quarter mile to make up my full 2 mile stopping point.  Turned around and headed back to the trail head.  At some points on the way back down I was clicking away at 6 min/mile pace and just felt like I was flying down the trail. 

Run ended up being 4 miles with 611 feet of elevation gain.  I was really happy with this run, I felt really strong while I was climbing, I killed the downhill sections, and the weather was a really nice surprise.  This was a fantastic redemption run since my previous 3 runs were littered with issues and one very conservative recovery run.  We have all had one of those runs that just feels great and gets you excited to get out and run the next day.  Yup, one of those!!

I know I have a ton of comments I need to respond to so I hope I can get to those within the next couple days.  I think you can all understand, for some reason getting my legs under me is a bit of a priority right now lol.

What is one thing that you are trying to work on next week to make you better?  Running related of life in general?  Running related, I am trying to stretch every available moment I get and strength training will start next week.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I always run a bit better when I know a trail, too. Glad you had some cloud cover and a slight breeze! That's some hot heat y'all have down there.

    Next week I'm just planning on continuing to hit the trails to prepare for Ragnar Trail Relay on June 19-20!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!