Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Sh#& Just Got Real!!!


That's right folks, I'm signed up for the full marathon at the Rock N Roll Las Vegas in November!!

Let me give you the setup to this whole craziness.  A few weeks back I told Mrs Schlub that I knew what I wanted for Fathers Day in June and my birthday in September.  I didn't want anything, I wanted to save money and go out to Vegas for the RnR.  At the time a lot of planning was still needed but was a possibility.

Fast forward to National Running Day.  Mrs Schlub happened to come across cheap flights going from PHX to Vegas.  We immediately jumped on them and booked them.  Flights....check.

RnR said they were running a special but man it sure didn't seem like it.  Mrs Schlub wants to run the 10k so that was easy enough, signed her up for that.

The real dilemma came to my run.  I originally wanted to run the half.  When I looked at prices, the full and half were the same exact price.  What the?!?!?! So in a moment of insanity, I figured might as well get my money's worth and knock out the marathon.  Races.....check.

Not going to lie, after submitting, I frantically hit the back button to change back to the half lol.....

What's done is done, and now I'm on to finding a full marathon training plan.  I really feel I got there on my own last November before injury and Mrs Schlub surgery so I'm not worried BUT it always helps to have a guide to build off of.

Let me know, what marathon plan have you used and do you suggest I take a look at???

Btw can you say crazy NRD 2015 in the Schlub house lol...

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! Sounds like it's going to be an awesome running vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You better get busy lol You know Hanna has a blog roll of everyone doing a Fall marathon, you need to join up and I am sure you will plenty of training help :)

    http://themillennialnextdoor.com/2015-fall-marathon-blog-roll/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting news! The Marine Corps Marathon last year was a birthday gift from my dad :)

    As you know I followed the Hanson's Method and I really liked it. Looking forward to following your training over the next several months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YESSSS! I'm so excited for you!!!! At the risk of sound like *that* creepy girl from Florida who feels like she knows you because she has read your blog for a year, I have been been wondering when you were going to sign up for another full! I'm seriously so excited for you because you have SO much potential for the marathon. I just know you're going to have a really strong debut! Congrats!!

    And how awesome that Mrs is going to run that day too! That will make it extra special!

    Vegas is the perfect spot too. I hear they have plenty of beer to help you replenish your carbs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boom! If you're on the fence between full and half, always go big! I mean, you said you wanted an Boston qual a few weeks ago...so there is your goal right? Honestly though, that should totally be your goal -- you're more than capable of being that fit by November!

    I don't think you specifically need to follow a plan, plenty of people are running well below 3hrs without plans. If you get anything, go for a coach; those are actually probably worth the money.

    Yeah, RnR would be that expensive haha, money is most of the reason I don't like to race.

    You're going to kill this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! that sounds great and will be so exciting to do. Hope you find a plan/coach/self training guide? that works out! You have so much going on! Love hearing about it all as your enthusiasm is really inspiring~ K

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!