Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Quick Update and Comment Responders

Quick training update….My legs feel great, no major issues with my IT Band.  Knowing I was pushing it with the 10 miler on Saturday, I planned two rest days for Sunday and Monday.  Very smart move, my legs feel great today and the plan is a nice and easy 4 miler tonight. 

With yesterday’s rant, I am adopting the motto, “Train Smart” as I go through marathon training.  I assume that if I plaster it all over the place, it will be hard for me to forget that I need to make good decisions when I’m training and make sure I take time to maintenance my body when I’m not running.



So once again comments are piling up and I have yet to respond to many of them.  The last comment response post was pretty successful so I wanted to throw another one out there.  Bunch of questions to answer from the last few weeks so let’s jump into some of them:

Kelly – Does it seem really green, and moist there – This is exactly what I thought when I was in DC.  Walking from the train station to the hotel, the streets were lined with big plush trees and small yards with thick green grass.  These days, it’s more and more prominent in AZ to get turf so we don’t have to water our grass lol.

Karen – You had a perfect day to run…lowest humidity here ever – OMG the weather in DC was amazing while I was there.  There was just about no humidity what so ever and even a slight breeze on Friday was I was out and about.  Not sure what Karen did to give me such great running weather but I owe her big time lol.

Kristina – I think I am just realizing that you went on this trip alone – Yes I did go out to DC on my own.  We had discussed all the options (Go alone, just Mrs. Schlub and I, take all the kids, etc.) and cost was the biggest factor.  I was able to use a buddy pass from my aunt and fly stand by because flying alone allowed for much more flexibility.  Although after coming home, I’d really love to take the kids next time, I think they would be amazed by all the sights in DC.

Kristina – Awww Buster, buddy we all have that problem.  Maybe you should get him a Garmin so he can keep an eye on his pace – Kristina this had me dying lol.  I could totally imagine Buster having a Garmin wrapped around his leg, our watches beeping off at the same time each mile.  That’s funny right there.

Cheryl – A couple technical questions, in the beginning the image was bouncy, then it leveled out – what was the difference – I currently use my cell phone for all my videos and hold it in my hand as I run.  I’m always worried about dropping it while I’m running, especially on the trails.  The time consuming part is downloading all the partial videos to the computer then loading them to YouTube.  Once I get them into YouTube, it actually has an option to “stabilize” the video which removes a lot of the bouncing.  My only dislike is that it makes the video seem like it’s in slow motion, but I’ll take that over an overly bouncy video any day of the week.  Once I have all by segments stabilized, I move them back over to my computer so I can use a video editing program to piece them all together.  Then I load it back to YouTube as one video.  As you can see, takes some time to do all that lol.  If anyone has questions or suggestions, I’d love to chat about the videos.  I really enjoy making them and want to do all I can to make them better.

Karen – you better get busy lol you know Hanna has a blog roll of everyone doing a Fall Marathon, you need to join up – I did reach out to Hanna and she added me to her blog roll of Fall Marathon runners.  I actually picked up a couple more blogs to follow just to see how other runners are training for the upcoming races.

Again, I apologize for not responding as much as I probably should.  Honestly, I’d prefer to jump over to everyone else’s blogs and comment there rather than taking the time to comment here.  Because of this, all of you will have to live with a post like today’s every couple of weeks or so because of my laziness lol.

Do you have a current running motto that you’re using for your training?  “Train Smart” seems like such an easy thing to do, but I find it’s even easier to make bad choices and stray from the path so quickly lol.

3 comments:

  1. Recently I've adopted the "Progress is work" motto where I can't let myself become lazy on the run or during strength training. It's so easy for me to make up excuses and then I remind myself of what it is that I'm striving for and also that I must work for it. This helps me when I'm getting tired, or simply do not want to head out for that run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been saying, "every run is a good run" lately...because I feel very disorganized with my workouts, and inconsistent too. I am hoping to get into a summer routine this week, which will really help. After 10 days of guests, etc. we are ALL ready for that here! Thanks for answering all the questions, I guess I still need to practice taking pics on my runs, never mind videos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart training will get you to the finish line healthy and ready to go! I think 80% of the battle for a marathon is making it to the start line healthy and prepared.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!