Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, June 29, 2015

Quick Camping Trip Plus Some Running

A large group of my family was headed up north to do some camping this weekend so Grandma asked if she could take our 7 year old up for a couple days out in the wilderness.  He was all for it so Mrs. Schlub and I started to plan everything.  Well Mrs. Schlub threw out the idea of me going along to also spend some family time since I don’t see my family all that often.  Why didn’t I think of this myself????  So we headed up north about an hour to Payson, AZ.  This area is not quite north enough for me as we were still feeling 95* temperatures but it’s much greener than the city and provide plenty of shade to just relax.  It was a great couple days filled with fishing, smores, camp fire games, and just some great family time.

The biggest plus was that I was able to get a run in on Saturday morning.  I made it a point to speak with the camp host when we arrived to find a trail that lead me out of the camp ground so I could do a nice out and back in the forest.  Friday night was filled with a delicious dinner, tons of smores, and fun camp fire games.  I knew I planned to get a run in the next morning so I made sure we headed off to bed at a decent time.

I woke up about 530 am and started all my pre-run preparation and I hit the trail about 600 am.  The run had its ups and downs but I can’t tell you how AMAZING it felt to get in a trail run.  Plus the views were gorgeous.

The Bad – I had to stop quite a few times to find the trail.  The immediate trail was somewhat groomed and it looked like boy/girl scouts had placed rock carrons to identify the trail.  Once I got into the forest I stayed on one of the sand washes as they are pretty identifiable and limit the ability to get lost.  Once I turned around and headed back the rock carrons were not as easy to identify.  Luckily, I’ve camped in this area before and had a number of landmarks to clearly identify where I needed to go so with a little bushwhacking I got back safe and sound.  Still throws your groove off when you have to come to a dead halt and search around for your next rock carrons lol.

The Good – I was reminded about how much I love trail running.  So often when I run in our neighborhood I am looking at my watch waiting for the run to be over.  Trail running; I get caught up in the terrain and the beautiful landscape so it just makes the run so much more enjoyable.  I got some great video that I’ll be posting in the next couple days.

The run ended up being a solid 3 mile out and back with 300 feet of elevation gain.  It was also great to train at 5000 feet of elevation rather than the 1500 feet that we are down in the valley.  Although, I can’t imagine training on the mountains in Colorado that go from 6000 ft to 14000 ft, my lungs would be gasping for air lol.

What elevation do you train at?  Do you struggle when you go to areas with higher elevation??

4 comments:

  1. When I visit my mom I am about 3000 feet above sea level.
    Where I live I think about 200 feet lol Montana elevation didn't impact me, it's so delightfully not humid there, I run happy. I am not sure about higher! I still need to try :)
    I want a smore now. I am glad you are getting your running mojo back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I'm jealous that you got to try out some new trails! 300 feet of gain over 3 miles sounds rough though! I would be slow hiking instead of running, haha. You know me, 0 elevation over here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pretty much at sea level, although when I go north I am maybe 1500? I love running on trails too. it is a great way to relax. I frequent the same trails because I am afraid of getting lost. If I go on a new trail, I take my husband...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun trip! I'm glad you were able to find a trail from the campground to run on. Glad you didn't get lost - it really disrupts a trail run when you have to stop and figure out where the trail you're trying to run on is!

    I train/live at 2500-3000 feet. I don't feel much of a difference when we're at sea level, but the time I traveled to Denver and immediately went out for a run I paid for it with altitude sickness!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!