Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, June 26, 2015

My Name is Schlub and I ...

The past few days have been fairly unconventional for me.  Things just haven’t gone as smoothly as they usually do and I’ve pretty much felt out of sorts.  I had a number of “excuses” as to why things were just a bit off and boy did I catch an ear full for that one.  The two primary examples come from this Wednesday and Thursday.  Wednesday I woke up early to run with Mrs. Schlub and just had a disastrous run.  Nothing felt right and I should of just stayed in bed rather than going out to walk most of the 3 miles.  The very next day, Thursday morning, I just slept right through my alarm and ended up being an hour late to work.  See what I mean, something is just off!!

So of course being the needy husband that I am, I turn to my wife for some moral support expecting the traditional “your just having a rough couple days, you will bounce back” or “everyone has a rough couple days” and so on.  Nope, not this wife LOL.  Mrs. Schlub just went off on me about how my fueling is horrible and how I dare call myself a runner when I CHOOSE to improperly fuel my body.  Why have a blog when I’m pretending to be a runner yet I’m not following all the appropriate training requirements.

Yikes!!!  In all honesty, I exaggerate a little bit for emphasis but the one sided discussion pretty much went along those lines.  The positive from this verbal onslaught is that she is 100% right.  I have been feeling overly tired and a little bit lethargic because I am not fueling my body properly.  More specifically, I am not drinking enough water for all my activity.  It is an inferno here in AZ this time of year and you need to drink more water just because of that.  Add in the occasional run and I should be drinking water nonstop to hydrate myself.  So what do I do??  I throw in way too much soda, energy drinks, and occasional beer.  Can you say recipe for disaster??

They say the first step to overcoming a problem is to admit you have a problem, “My name is Schlub, and I have a fueling problem!!”  I started the blog a while back to keep a record of my running as well as a way to share my successes and challenges with other runners in hopes that some small bit of my running can help others.  So runner newbs and runner veterans, please remember how important it is to properly hydrate.  It really could be the different between some great runs and the start of an injury.

Lastly, how awesome is Mrs. Schlub??  Regardless of delivery, she told me exactly what I needed to hear.  This is the type of accountability I need if I’m ever going to finish 26.2 miles.

Come on everyone, we are in the trust tree here….who has been fueling properly and who needs to make some drastic changes??

6 comments:

  1. I feel you there. All through May I got pretty lax on my nutrition and fueling (Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Kraft Mac n' Cheese, etc.), it got to a point where I noticed a significant increase in my recovery time. Since then I've gotten to into better habbits (better, but certainly improvable -- I'm not Scott Jurek) and Mrs. Schlub is absolutely right. The differences have been HUGE. For me at least the hydration aspect is more adaptable. For instance I've gotten used to not needing too much water. On the other hand, food I think is essentially the same for everyone. Fruits, veggies and low sugar intake seem to be my keys for success.

    I was actually just talking about this subject the other day, about how in running you need that person who knows you well enough and cares about you enough to be the jerk. Sometimes we all need a "verbal onslaught", as you termed it, to get us back in the groove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. will she come over and yell at me ?? I need a kick in the pants to get some motivation and good habits going again. Just send a recording!! :) I admit that every once in awhile I realize at the end of the day that all I've had to drink is coffee and beer! that's definitely not good fueling! in fact , it's really awful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your wife. She and I have the same spirit, I always give it to Adam straight. No reason to beat around the bush!

    I'm usually really good about staying hydrated but last night I went out to celebrate a coworkers bday and had a few too many drinks.... especially for someone who maybe has one glass of wine every two months! My run this morning was a disaster and a half. Reading this post is a good reminder that in marathon training those kind of nights cannot happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I need to change my habits too. I have been trying to cut out some of the junk, and hydrate better--I notice a HUGE difference when I do! I notice that I get a much better sleep when I don't eat a lot of junk before bed. I am still having a hard time getting up early to go running--but I will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad Mrs. Schlub is giving you some tough love! You know someone really loves you when instead of giving you sympathy they tell it like it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big applause for Mrs. Schlub for telling you what you needed to hear!

    I had that exact same problem! So a couple weeks ago I simply had to stop drinking soda again (I'm one of those "all or nothing" kind of people). And now I'm making sure I drink a lot of water all the time. Fridges full of my water bottles HAHA! But it's just so extremely important! :O

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!