Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

More Tortoise Than the Hare

Interestingly enough, my little 4 mile run last night had me more sore this morning than when I did my 10 miles on Saturday.  Not really sure how that happens but my legs feel fine and no ongoing ITB issues so far.  So I would say that was a win and a very successful run.

I know I’m not the only runner out there that goes off the rails when little challenges pop up and we are left scrambling to right the ship.  That was me on Monday when I ranted all over the blog about potential injury.  Well like any sane person, I was all over the Web yesterday once again researching all things ITB; stretches, exercises, supports, taping, blah blah blah.  There was no pain in my ITB, just some general tightness, and it still had me worried sick that my 4 miles was going to be dreadful.

Most of the night was spent watching the Cavs battle through game three of the NBA finals and when that was over, I knew it was time to run.  I was still worried but I had a good plan and knew I needed to get my run over with.  Train Smart!!  I grabbed Buster and we set out for 4 miles.


No judgment on anyone else, this is simply a gauge on what I’m use to and my own fitness level….Buster and I were plodding along at a dreadfully slow pace.  The plan was to trudge along at whatever pace felt comfortable and did not create any pain in my legs.  At times this was even walking, I blame it on Buster since he is out of shape, but honestly it was me just testing my legs.  The whole run was an ever constant mantra in my head to run tall, keep my legs under me, watch my foot plant, and don’t over stride.   I’ve never been so happy to run a double digit pace, I was thoroughly pleased at the end of the run.  I got home, no pain in the legs, stretched, still no pain, took a shower, still no pain, laid down for bed, and still no pain.  Then came the big test, I woke up this morning, still no pain, got ready for work, and still no pain.  As you can see, ITB has me absolutely crazy LOL.

Like I said, not sure how it happened, but the lumbering run last night truly has me sore today.  But I’ll take the sore and tired legs over knee pain any day of the week.  So I’m calling this a wildly successful run in the books and looking forward to Thursday.

Okay so who goes all WebMD on the web when they are trying to diagnose pain or an illness?  I don’t use WebMD when I’m sick but I research my running pains like crazy.  I can’t just sit around, I need some instructions on how to fix the situation lol.

6 comments:

  1. Isn't is crazy how some "small " runs can make you so sore. Sometimes I'll run a a fast 5K and feel like I may die still lol
    Sometimes I do think other factors contribute to soreness...such as, did you drink enough water the previous day, did you get some protein consumed soon after you work out, so you never know. :) I relate the craziness, every little ache and pain I feel in my leg I start freaking a little. I guess it's normal after an injury that took you out for awhile.
    I go to Web MD, read articles, read medical journals, look for blogs with others who had a similar experience... all great ways to make your self nuts!
    Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blaming Buster! ha ha ....Poor dog! I think you should write "train Smart" on your hands and backwards on your forehead so you see it in the mirror :) I usually look at Runner's World if I have running related pains because WebMD makes you think you have something so terrible that a different kind of panic sets in!! Glad you are feeling ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey now, poor Buster, what if he reads this and sees you calling him out of shape? You might give him a complex! ;)

    I can't research my running pains. I end up getting myself all worked up and bent out of shape! If something hurts vs. just being sore I call my doctor and make an appointment. It's much better for me that way because I'll drive myself crazy Google'ing things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dogs think Buster is doing great, as they can only walk 1/2 mile...
    I do look things up. A good rule of thumb--if you can run with the soreness without altering your gait/stride--you are good to go. I would also try the cool down walk--I don't get nearly as sore as I used to without. It "flushes" out your legs post-run and seems to work out all the "niggles".

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may have been more sore after the 4 miler because of delayed onset muscle soreness. Poor Buster has to take the blame for your pace just because he can't speak for himself ;-) Hope the IT Band continues to behave. I try and stay off of WebMD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I look up something that hurts, I think its best to look for the source of the problem not the fix. For example if my calf hurts, stretching can help but that doesn't actually solve the issue that I'm on my toes too much. And I second the cool down walk; if I try not to sit down for 30 to 45 minutes after I run.

    Man, I wish I had a dog to run with!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!