Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Just Didnt Have the Mojo

Tuesday night I was super excited, Mrs. Schlub had her running group on Wednesday morning bright and early before the sun comes up, and I was going to be knocking out a few miles with them.  Awesome group of runners that she has put together, not to mention dedicated to be running at 4:00 am three times a week. 

We woke up at 3:45 am, got ready, and headed out the door to meet the other runners at 4:15 am.  I was a bit tired from going to bed a little later than I wanted, but awake and ready to run.  I made sure to stretch out really well even though I only planned to knock out a few miles.  We jumped on the road at 4:20 am and the run was on!!  Unfortunately this is where things pretty much went downhill for me lol.

Started out the run very slowly, just trying to get my legs warmed up.  The ladies stuck together to talk about the many things that ladies talk about so I was quickly all by my lonesome.  After the first half mile, I started to pick up the pace a little bit.  Nothing strenuous, staying very conservative, I could have easily held a conversation at this pace.  For some reason, pacing was a serious issue this morning.  I was literally all over the place; my Garmin shows a pace of 7:30 min/mile at the 1.00 mile mark, and a pace of 11:00 min/mile at the 1.35 mile mark.  What the heck was I doing?!?!  At the 1.60 mile mark I had this strong urge to walk for a bit, so sure enough there I was walking.  No apparent reason, I wasn’t out of breath, my legs felt fine, I just decided to walk.  At the 1.75 mile mark I finally started to run again, with my pace continuing bouncing all over the place.  Got through another half mile then decided to walk again.  It wasn’t until the 2.70 mile mark when Mrs. Schlub passed me walking that I decide to just get the run over with and get my butt home.  For the final quarter mile of my three miles, I averaged roughly 7:30 min/mile pace.  Way to finish strong I guess….

Overall, the run/walk ended up being 3 miles with an average pace of 12:30 min/mile.  I pretty much chalk this up to being a blah day.  Not enough sleep, not enough hydration, and just a complete lack of motivation.  What can you do??  So I’m closing the book on that one and trying for better results tomorrow.

I did snap this sweet sunrise as I headed off to work, so that was a plus lol.


Let me know, when was the last time you had one of those disastrous runs and you were asking yourself “What is going on with me??” – Usually when I don’t feel like running and force myself to get out there, it ends up being a pretty good run.  No idea what happened today.

3 comments:

  1. I would say chalk it up to trying to run at 4am!!! I have had runs where my pace is all over the place, usually when I am upset. I slow down, then get mad at myself for slowing down, then go too fast...Mental fail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome sunrise!
    do not let it mess with your head, it happens to eveyone at times.
    I have had a bunch of those runs here lately, this morning was the first time all week I ran four miles without needing a walk break.
    I keep reminding myself to just run off effort not pace in this heat - it just feels like i will never get back in the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drink water!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!