Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, May 18, 2015

Weekend Run and Big News Part 2

My plan was to run Friday and knock out a solid trail run before the weekend.  Well my stomach ended up not feeling well Friday and Saturday morning so it blew those plans right out of the water.  I was super disappointed because we got a little storm coming through on Friday night and Saturday morning and I’ve posted many times over about how much I look forward to trail runs in the rain.  Another missed opportunity!!  We were busy most of Saturday with kid’s events and birthday parties so the whole day just flew by.  Next thing I knew it was well past my bed time, but I knew I needed to get a run in or my weekly total would be ruined for the week.  So at 10pm, yeah you read that correctly, I grabbed Buster and we headed out for our run.  The plan was to run 2 warm up miles with Buster, drop him off, and then see how I felt after that.


First mile was pretty slow going, took our time getting up to the park which is the half mile mark and where we make a quick pit stop for Buster to use the restroom.  We finished off the first mile with a moving time of 10:02 pace.  The second mile was only a hair better when it clicked off at 9:46 pace.  Dropped Buster off at home, re-started my watch and headed back out.  I decided to take a route that I can stretch to 3 miles or I can cut short at 2 miles to give myself some options based on how my legs felt.  My goal was to keep a steady pace and really work on foot plant and holding a smooth stride.  Mile 3 clicked off at 8:43, mile 4 clicked off at 8:53, and mile 5 clicked off at 8:53.  I finished up with a .31 cool down back to the house.

I was pretty happy holding pace during the last 3 miles.  I’ve never been good at pacing myself so that was a huge plus as I’m building up mileage.  Also, my legs felt great closing out the run and I felt like I had a lot left in the tank.  When everything was said and done I knocked out 5.31 miles finishing at 11pm at night.  Big take away, I can feel that I’m slowly getting back into the groove of things.


Big News Part 2…..

I’ve posted quite a bit about a very good friend of mine that passed away while serving in Iraq back in 2005.  This year is his 10thanniversary so a big group of friends and family will be headed out to Washington DC to celebrate him and his passing.  He has a headstone at Arlington National Cemetery and we plan to spend most of Friday there with him to celebrate his life.  So not only is this a very special event for me, but I plan to knock out some miles while I’m in DC.  I’ve been searching running routes near the monuments and hotel to see what makes the most sense for an out of towner.  So come next week I hope to have some pictures and video to show all of you from my visit to DC. 


What’s your favorite monument in DC?  Or what if your favorite monument in a town that you have visited?? – The War memorials are always a special visit for me because deep down we know how much was sacrificed for everything we have today.  Thanks to all the veterans!!

5 comments:

  1. Running is the best way to see DC! Get up early (or should I say sleep in till 5AM for you...) and you can go through all of the monuments before the heat and the crowds. I would say Jefferson for the one I liked most, its a very beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love DC, your kids will love DC!

    I've only been once and I wasn't a runner back then, but I loved walking all around and exploring the different monuments and museums! Looking forward to hearing all about the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great that you are going to DC to honor your friend and his service. DC is amazing to see, and I would get up early to go for a run before it gets too hot and humid. I liked the Lincoln Memorial--looking at the reflecting pool...
    I also was moved by Arlington National Cemetery--so many, gave so much...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy your trip to DC.
    I am curious to see how humid feels different to you. Maybe you'll get lucky and get some lovely days, you never know on the east coast. It changes daily.
    That's great you are getting your groove back. I am trying, but I seem to move forward, then back...then forward, what a process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad y'all were able to plan a trip to DC to honor your friend. Have you heard the song 'Arlington' by Trace Adkins? It's a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!