Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, May 11, 2015

Mothers Day and Some Pretty Sad Running

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!!!



I want to send mother’s day wishes to all the mother’s out there.  Family dynamics have changed so much over the years but mom’s role in the house remains just as important as ever.  I know in our house Mrs. Schlub is the glue that holds it all together and without her me and the kids would be absolutely lost.  On top of that I would not be the man I am today if it wasn’t for my own mother guiding me through my younger years.  So mom’s I hope you had a wonderful weekend and those that love you make sure to thank you for all you do.

So let’s get to some running…

Last week was just a sad week for running.  I started out strong by running the mountain on Monday.  Recorded some great video and turned that into a pretty good first trail run video.  Plan was to take Tuesday off then run on Wednesday….well that didn’t happen.  Thursday rolled around so I planned to make up my run from Wednesday….well that didn’t happen.  Friday rolled around and I finally forced myself to get out that night and run.

Although it was at 9:30 at night, this run turned out to be a pretty solid run.  I planned for a 4 mile run and I set out with the intention of negative splitting miles 1-3 then cooling down for the fourth mile.  First mile started out smooth, pretty relaxed pace, and ended up clicking off the first mile at 8:45.  My legs actually started to open up in the second mile which got me feeling good, so I clicked off the second mile at 8:21.  The third mile was pretty rough; I had a strong headwind the entire way and had to put in extra effort to hold my pace.  Even with the wind I clicked off the third mile at 8:26.  My legs were still feeling great, I felt like I still had some pep left, so I decided to put the hammer down for the fourth mile.  I ended up clicking off the fourth mile at 7:20.

Even though the week as a whole was pretty weak, the run on Friday was pretty awesome.  As you all know, there is something about negative splits that just gets you pumped up for the next run.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t spin that excitement into a follow up run.  We had sports on Saturday and of course Sunday was all about the MOMs.  My hope is to do a little better job this week sticking to my plan and actually run more than a couple days this week.

Do you ever make it a point to go out and negative split a run?  Most times my negative splits happen by accident lol.

4 comments:

  1. We are singing the same tune my friend! Despite dying in the heat yesterday I hit a really nice negative split which got me pumped up for today's run, but I am soooo exhausted that it's just not going to happen (stupid super early work meeting). There's always tomorrow! I'm sure with an extra rest day it will be an extra good one! I hope you get in a really good one tomorrow too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two years ago I had a run at the end of finals week and an hour after downing a plate of orange chicken. I didn't have a watch or anything, but I did about 13 miles (all in the pitch dark on dirt unlit bike paths) at what felt like 6:45 pace with zero effort. I didn't understand it then and I don't now. Some days are just perfect like that. Enjoy them when you get them! Of course, the opposite end of the spectrum is always there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually try and negative split--I think due to looking at my Garmin.
    It can be hard to get all the runs in with family life. I didn't get my long run in this weekend either--we just have to learn how to be flexible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All my negative splits happen by accident haha :) This week will probably be so much better for you, from what I've learned from your blog you are the type of person who is okay with really pushing yourself when you're not happy with your run/week/whatever haha :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!