Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Monday Run and Comment Responses

Once again I’m starting the week off pretty strong.  I had my men’s church group on Monday so I planned 2 miles up to the meeting, then 2 miles back home after the meeting.  I headed out about 8:20pm and it was a nice 82* outside.  Clicked off the first mile at 8:16 then pushed a little bit harder clicking off the second mile in 7:48.  I hope that I can keep up with these negative splits because it really makes you feel strong to run your later miles faster than your beginning miles.

We had our church group and I was actually running home this time.  But rather than taking the same route back I decided on a shorter route that was only a mile and a quarter.  I was able to click off the first mile at 7:52 then use the last quarter mile as a cool down.  Again, starting the week off pretty solid, took Tuesday off and the plan is to knock out 3-4 miles tonight.

Blogging in general has been hit and miss for me and I know I don't comment as much as I should.  So I'm using this space to answer some of those comments.

Marie – “you are the type of person who is okay pushing yourself when you’re not happy with your run/week/whatever” – This is definitely accurate, I come down hard on myself when I’m not performing at the level I feel I should be.  Now this is both good and bad.  It’s always good to test your limits and push yourself further than you thought was possible.  I also need to be careful not to push myself before I’m ready for the increased activity.  I’m trying to run every other day until I build up a little bigger base so I can start adding days to my plan.  Coming off injury, the last thing you want to do is get re-injured or create another injury.

Cheryl – “what trail shoes do you use” – I’m currently using the New Balance MT980 Fresh Foam.  There is a bunch of back-story on these shoes.  I’ve been running Asics road shoes for a long time, so when I went looking for trail shoes I right away went with Asics.  Well the pair I bought had a rock plate in the forefoot that really tore up my feet.  So I took those back and talked to the shoe experts.  I needed something that was hybrid since most of my trail runs have sections of asphalt or cement incorporated.  He suggested the Fresh Foam, but unknown at the time he gave me a pair of wide shoes.  I never noticed until recently but I have to tell you, when your feet are being thrashed on the trails, the extra surface and inside room is really a blessing.  I’ve never had any issues with the shoe width.



Karen – “I guess you will be getting up at 4am again soon to run” – I know it’s hard to imagine and trust me it’s hard to get out of bed, but yes my 4am runs will be starting up again soon.  The last few days, sunrise has been around 5:45am and the temperature around that time is roughly mid 80s, which isn’t too bad.  We all know once that sun starts bearing down on you; it’s a whole new ballgame.  So it will be a mix of 4am and 9pm runs over the next couple months.

I'm hoping to have some more videos up soon plus we have some big plans in the next few weeks that should have some great running stories.  More to come.

6 comments:

  1. I love it, a creative way to answer comments ;) It's hard to keep up. I have a time some weeks.
    I have looked at the Fresh Foam many times and wondered about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not gonna lie, it makes me feel better to hear that you will be doing 4am and 9pm runs because those are in my near future too! I've already gotten in one 8pm run. I hate running so early and so late but it's better than burning up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious about the fresh foam and how durable they are--I run with Brooks Cascades in the trails, so far so good.. I agree, I take a half size up in trail shoes--trails really beat up your feet.
    Great job squeezing in your runs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed you can get up at 4am! I just don't have it in me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good update! I like the look of those shoes. At first I thought they were Hokas , which is see everywhere lately and hear raves about! The price though, steep. I understand about liking the bigger toe box area! I ran in Newtons for awhile and then went back to more traditionally shaped shoes ( I'm wearing Brooks Cascadias now) and my toes feel suffocated! I think that's good advice from Cheryl to go up half a size on trail shoes ! I recently bought a pair of Altras for my son who is 6'5" and has very big flat feet. he tried so many brands but finally, the Altras are perfect! He went up a full size in those (large sizes don't usually come in halfs) and finally can run without pain in his arches. And also on size....I realized that I haven't actually measured my foot in YEARS . don't they say your feet get larger with age? ugh! it's something I should do next time I'm in a store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good shoes are HUGE. I used to have pain in my knees all day every day because my shoes did support my high arches. Getting good shoes (and might I add, good insoles) has made a huge difference for me.

    I suffered shin splints for almost 10 years, I didn't know these tips...
    Check out my blog for other interesting tips on how to treat shin splints. never-never-never-give-up.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!