Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Last Nights Run and Big News Part 1

From the time I got home from work I did not feel like going for a run.  This was the series of events from the time I got home: I helped the kids clean up their messes, we sat down and had family dinner, we picked up clothing donations for the high school, went to my oldest son’s basketball game, kids showered for bed, read our nightly bible story, said our prayers, our two boys fell asleep, and then it was finally time to get out for my run.

Can you see why I had no desire to get out and run lol?  The plan was to knock out a warm up mile with Buster, drop him back off, and then knock out another 3 miles.  So I laced up the shoes, lashed Buster around my waist, and headed out with very little motivation.  Well I sure am glad that I went out for the run!!

We ended up running .86 with a long stop at our park so Buster could do his business.  Dropped him off then headed back out to finish the rest of my run.  My legs were still tight from Monday so I was trying to keep a moderate pace.  I clicked off the first mile at 8:24 and my stride felt really smooth and effortless.  I tried to keep the same smooth stride throughout the second mile and ended up clicking off the second mile at 8:21.  Against all my better judgment, all I could think about was “Let’s go after another negative split, I’ll be able to blog all about it tomorrow.”  So I ended up clicking off the third mile at 7:38 pace.  BOOM, negative split!! 

I know I should have looked at this run as a recovery run as I continue to get back in shape, BUT my legs felt great right?  If I’m running on feel than I made the right decision didn’t I?  Regardless, my legs are pretty tight today but I feel amazing after last night’s run.  Keeping this week going as I’ve now successfully completed two of my planned runs this week.  We will see what happens on Friday lol.

So for Big News Part 1…….Drum roll please!!!

I was reading over at Why Mom Runs on Tuesday and Cheryl posted about the I Run 4 non-profit group.  This group pairs runners with buddies who have special needs and cannot run for themselves.  Runners dedicate their miles to their buddy and in the process build a relationship with the buddy and family.  As soon as I read about this, I went through the process of signing up and got accepted into the group yesterday.  I AM STOKED!!  Now I will have to keep you updated on when I get matched with my buddy because Cheryl was on the wait list for 5 months before she was matched with her buddy.  Now that I have been accepted into the group, I can see on Facebook all the other runners posting for their buddies.  It is truly inspiring to see the special relationships that are being built.  I can’t wait to be matched and encourage all my running pals to take a look at the website.

Look for more big news in the coming days, the family and I have two big plans coming up that will provide some great running adventures!!

When was the last time you broke away from your plan because your legs felt amazing?  Are you strict about following your plan or allow flexibility based on life’s events?

4 comments:

  1. How awesome you will have a buddy to run for :)
    I always think of a plan a s a loose guide lol When I half marathon trained I tried to follow it but constantly switched work outs around, etc..I think it you were feeling good, it was a great idea to go. Just let yourself recover if you are feeling tight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited that you signed up too! It is an AWESOME feeling when you get matched! I am very excited that I have a running buddy!
    I know the feeling about being busy--it is a crazy time of year! Good job getting in a run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FIST BUMP!

    I ran a 3 mile negative split tonight too! We're crushing it! I can't believe how awesome we are LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiring post! what a great program that is! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!