Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Time To Get Back To Running

My quest for Boston actually started on Monday night.  I was so energized by watching/listening to the event that I absolutely needed to get out for a run.  Buster and I headed outside about 830pm to do some stretching while my watch linked.  We started off and just as I got a few steps out I realized I had some things in my pockets.  So of course I had to turn around and drop those items off outside the house.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I CANNOT run with things in my pockets.  I know in the past I’ve kept some tissues, maybe a fuel gel, and my gloves in my pockets while I was running, but it really does irritate me.  I don’t like the feeling of my pockets swinging back and forth as I’m running, totally throws off my entire run.

Ok rant over, back to my run lol….

Once we got back on the run, I knew I needed to make up some time for the early pit stop so I tried to keep a steady pace.  After getting my phone situated I settled in and clicked off the first mile at 8:44.  Not bad for having to go back to the house to drop my stuff off.  At the end of the first mile we had another stop to let Buster take a bathroom break.  Again, I knew I needed to make up some time so I put the hammer down and wanted to hold a strong pace for my second mile.  I ended up clicking off the second mile at 7:29 with a moving pace of 7:16.  Shut it down after two miles, I didn’t want to push the envelope as I’m slowly building my mileage back up.  I was pretty happy with the effort and I can actually feel some of that old stamina coming back.

My feet felt great all through the run, no signs of aches or pains.  When I got back home I sat on the floor to stretch my IT Band and roll/stretch my feet.  Everything felt great going to bed that night.  When I woke up there was some slight tightness in my feet but nothing too severe.  Just in case I’ve been stretching and rolling yesterday and today to be proactive with my feet.  I know overcoming PF is a slow process so I’m just trying to do all I can to keep my feet nice and stretched.

Do you hate running with things in your pockets?  What other pet peeves do you have that can really throw off your run?

5 comments:

  1. Yaaa, for feeling good on a run! I like to plop down and stretch too, I feel like it helps me the most :)
    In the heat I find any little thing can irritate me, my running belt was bouncing just a bit Saturday and it was making me nutty. I can't put anything in my pockets (if I have any)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out those speedy miles! You're definitely getting your mojo back!

    I hate running with things in my pockets too. I put everything I need in my Armpocket on most runs. I can't stand feeling things bouncing around, and I usually feel off balance if I have someone in one pocket but not the other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any pockets. I am a minimalist runner--I can't stand to bring extras!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job :) You are such a speedy runner! You need to teach me your ways 8-) haha.

    I hate running with things in my pockets. I hate armpockets aswell because they make me unbalanced (maybe it's just in my head, but it still annoyed me enough to stop using them). I currently use this tight belt thing just so i'm able to bring my phone to get the gps, but even that annoys me. Still searching for a way to run with my phone without getting annoyed by it haha! I thought about putting it in my sports bra, but I sweat like a crazy person so it would probably kill my phone xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. My issue is a weird one, I can't stand seeing my shadow when I'm running! I know, strange right? But it only really bothers me at the end of a run when I'm tired and I see my shadow and it's all distorted. I always have money and a clif block in a pocket. (margarita flavor) As long as it's not jingly stuff I'm ok. Keys? Forget it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!