Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, April 10, 2015

Post Run Thoughts and Updates

Good Morning Bloggers...

Here is a little motivation to get us started…

Yesterday’s run was pretty solid.  My strongest effort I’ve produced to date had me at the saddle in about 20 min.  Yesterday I hit the saddle in 24 minutes which is pretty good considering my fitness level is trash right now.  I wanted to share/record a few take away’s from yesterdays run.

Legs Need Work – My legs handled the climbing pretty well.  I was taking breaks to catch my breath more than I was taking breaks because my legs were burning…BUT… the way down was a whole different story.  My quads were screaming by the time I was half way down the mountain.  I love running downhill, the challenge, the technical running, and the speed all produce adrenaline that I just can’t get enough of and keeps me coming back.  The drawback is that my feet and quads get thrashed and I can totally feel it today.  Is that why people do strength training??

Go Feet Go – My feet are still a little tender here and there but I really feel that’s normal wear and tear that we get after a good run.  I am far from the shooting pain each morning when I get out of bed.  It’s funny because I still get out of bed bracing for the pain and lightly walk first thing in the morning as a precaution.  Not to jinx myself but I think the PF is pretty much gone, which is a HUGE relief.

The Joy of Running – I’m always concerned that one day I’ll wake up and literally feel the desire to run just evaporate.  Well as of yesterday that feeling is not going away anytime soon.  The fire and spark are coming back fierce and I really have to temper it to avoid getting injured again.  I feel like hitting the mountain each day of the week to get back to my fitness level at the end of last year.  Now I know I cant do that but its exciting to feel that passion and still enjoy running this much.

Reminder that we are a couple weeks away from the Boston Marathon and Sage Canaday is training hard to run and get his Olympic Trials Qualifier.  I think we should turn Boston Marathon Monday into a holiday so we can all watch, anyone want to sign that petition lol???

What does everyone have going on this weekend?  Who has races and who has training runs planned?

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear recovery is progressing! Keep up the good work. I grew up in Maine and Patriot's day is a holiday there, so I was confused when I moved to states that don't get Marathon Monday off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its great to see you back at it. I can't help but notice a similarity between your last few months and myself a year and a half ago. I guess the injury (as much as it sucks) is important in learning not to over-indulge and to listen if your body says stop. Downhill running is the most fun thing! Also, the best way to improve at running up hills is to run up hills :)

    Taking it easy this weekend, 50k next week! I'll ask Sage for some tips on Monday :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really glad to hear you say that your fitness is improving and that the spark to run is coming back strong! My mileage has been super low (under 10 mpw) the last couple of weeks and I have that same fear that one day I won't want to run.... especially after my last run where I didn't want to be running!

    I need to get back into a routine like you ... just as soon as my hips stop killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are getting back on track. I am thinking that a lot of uphill climbing and pf don't mix--so ease back into those long climbs! Mix it up :)
    I am NOT good at running down hills (trail), I am nervous about falling! I am looking forward to when I can get out there on the trails!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!