Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Lets Talk About Some PF

Good Day Everyone!

Wow two posts in a row, I’m really getting on a roll over here.

**Mid day update - holy crap Sage Canaday is running Boston this year!!!!**

Sage Canaday is Running Boston

I didn’t get any running in last night so no updates on that front.  I’m still recovering from the 1 mile run on Monday lol. 

I wanted to cover some of the items that I’ve been doing to cure my Plantar Fasciitis, not only for my own tracking but hopefully somebody out there will find them useful.

1)      Rest – I think it was hugely important to stop running and let things heal.  With the nature of PF, my foot was throbbing each morning and once I got moving and stretched out the muscles, my foot felt fine.  I’m sure I could of kept running through the pain but I would have had to deal with recovery eventually.

2)      Rolling – I’ve been rolling the bottom of my foot like crazy.  I brought a rolling pin to work so while I’m sitting at my desk, I can roll my foot at various points during the day.  At times when my foot is really tight, I can actually feel the muscles loosen up after I roll my foot.

3)      Footwear – I am one of those runners that puts my trail and road shoes away after a run and only wants to use them when I’m actually running.  Well since my foot issues, I’ve been wearing my running shoes as much as possible.  Obviously they provide the most comfort and support for my feet.  At times I can actually feel the pain subside when I put my running shoes on, it’s crazy.

4)      Night Time Treatment – I’m sure many of you have seen or used the PF treatment socks that are below.  The idea is to pull up on the toes so the PF and calves are stretched throughout the night while you sleep.  I am too cheap to actually but the socks themselves so I had to come up with my own home remedy.  I take some athletic take and wrap it around my toes, then wrap it around my ankle to pull up on the toes.  I can’t tell you how much this has worked.  To the point that I’m considering actually buying the socks lol.


It is really frustrating to battle an injury that just lingers for extended periods of time.  BUT the tradeoff is that I get extremely excited and confident when I see little signs of recovery and positive progress.

I want to start looking at upcoming races to give myself a goal  to shoot for, hopefully get myself back on track to tackle the full marathon.  We shall see.

Anybody else battling some injuries right now?

4 comments:

  1. That is so cool that Sage is running Boston! Maybe I will try and cheer him on in person!
    No injuries now, knock on wood. Have you tried rolling with a baseball or a lacrosse ball?
    Glad to hear you are both on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the boot (similar to the sock) when I had it, and it helps so much! I am happy your treatment is making you feel better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who has been trying to run college track/XC with PF and she found (after quite a while of pain) that there is no running through PF. Good for you being able to call it early and save yourself a lot of grief. I believe Scott Jurek went through a bout of PF and credited the sock-splint to his recovery.

    For the first time in about 18 months I don't even have anything I'm keeping an eye on right now. Knock on wood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed you disappeared but I didn't realize it was because your PF had gotten that bad. I am sorry for you, I now how hard it is. I had a tibial stress fracture and was in a bot for five weeks. I am just on the road to recovery as well. All I have done is write whiny posts when I have written...
    I am glad you are making progress. How's the Mrs.? has she kept up her running?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!