Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, January 19, 2015

Post Race Recovery Day 1

Thanks for everyone's comments and support, very helpful tips.

I've always focused the days after a race on reflecting back over the event for take awards and plans moving forward.  With the struggles I had on Sunday, I thought I would focus on something different.

My recovery!!

Primarily for my own records, it helps to look back and see what recovery was required after a tough run.  The primary issues I ran into on Sunday were completely focused on my legs.

Feet
Status - Actually Okay
I was surprised to wake up this morning and my feet felt great.  I still made it a point to roll my feet throughout the day at work in fear that the PR was going to flare up.

Ankles
Status - Thrashed
The pounding over 13.1 (that .1 is super important lol) took its toll on my right ankle.  I don't know if my stride was trash late in the run and that was the cause, but today my right ankle was aching like crazy.

Legs
Status - Thrashed
My legs are SORE.  My calves, hamstrings, quads, and hips were all killing me today.  I sit at a desk so every time I got up to do something, the soreness would come raging back.  I did my best to stretch throughout the day but my legs are thrashed.

Knees
Status - Good and Bad
My knees were sore immediately after the race.  When I woke up this morning my right knee was still aching when I was bending it back and forth.  It subsided over the day but I will continue to monitor.

So right now I'm stretching, rolling, icing, and anything else I can think of for all this soreness.  My plan is to take a few days off and up to a week and see how I'm feeling.

Do you track your recovery so you can come back and review it later?  Do you use the same recovery process after every race?

9 comments:

  1. That .1 is very important. It doesn't sound like very far, but somehow it always feels like the longest part of the race!

    That sounds like a good recovery plan to me, just RICE it up!

    I would also add in some type of active recovery, like extra long walks with Buster. After the marathon when I just wanted to die after every step, walking up a flight of stairs is actually what finally flipped the switch for me. It was painful but I guess it stretched my muscles in just the right way because I started feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a good plan set before you but as Kristina said try to keep moving as much as possible just don't run! Maybe even try to take small bike rides to help warm and loosen up the muscles.
    I really pay attention to my recovery, it is such an important part of what we do!! There are a couple things I always do after a race...cool water from ankles down. I fill my tub half way with cold water and when I shower my feet and ankles get the cold they need to not flare up (I have sprained my ankles too many times to count), and I always wear compression socks that night and the next day. Those two are musts for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kristina, I would add in an active recovery--walking, or EASY cycling. It helps to flush out the legs.

    I usually take a couple of days off after a tough race, and RICE, and hydrate and fuel too!
    Here's to a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not as detailed with my recovery notes, but it seems like a good idea to add in the points you have. I'm usually super sore all over after a hard race and a lot of times it isn't just my legs. My abs and arms also tend to be sore post race. I take epsom salt baths to sooth my sore muscles, ice, heat and foam roll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure took a beating! Sounds like you are doing the right thing, resting and giving yourself some TLC :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That .1 is what gets ya every time! :) Hope your recovery goes well and you start feeling better. I don't really track my recovery other than to write 'rest' in my running log. Occasionally I will jot a few notes down if I'm particularly sore after a race, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just keep on going steady. In due time, you'll be in the clear in all those areas. Running is a strenuous activity, and its impact is simultaneous and widespread, as it involves the joints, ligaments and articulation in general. Might as well be careful and ready for anything. Anyway, thanks for sharing that! Take care always!

    Emmett Fletcher @ CK Physio

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully, by now, since I am so late catching up you are feeling better! It sound like you needed more than a few days. I usually keep notes under my runs and I can see how days it was in between, so I do look back when I am feeling an issue.
    You know I am out with a tibail fracture now, so I will keep very detailed notes when I return. I have never been this injured, it sucks and it's making me nervous I may not make it back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't track my recovery really :)

    I miss reading about your crazy trail running and the mr & mrs schlub races, where are you? :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!