Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Sunday, January 18, 2015

PF Changs Rock and Roll Half Marathon

Unfortunately, I was flying solo for this race.  Mrs. Schlub wasn't running and we had some schedule conflicts so she was unable to come and meet me for the race.

I arrived at the parking lots extra early to avoid all the traffic to the race.  This is one of the biggest races in our city so the roads leading to the area get jam packed.  The start line and finish line were about a mile away from each other so I planned to park near the finish line and walk to the start line.  Lucky for me along my walk to the start line I hit a large parking lot that was full of portable restrooms.  This came in handy because the portable restrooms near the start line had a line a mile long and I doubt all of those runners started on time.  Once I used the restroom I headed to the corals to meet up with our friends.  We chatted a bit then we all headed off to our corals to get settled for the race.


Once we were off I felt really good, I planned to hang around the 2 hour pacer for a few miles and then start to peel off from there.  Well that lasted all of a half mile, I got tired of being trapped behind people so I started to inch away from the pacer.  There were A TON of people at this race and I was dodging slower runners all day.

Miles 1-6 went great, I was feeling really good and I was holding a pace between 7:40 and 8:00.  Then the lack of training over the last week took it's toll on me.  The wheels started to fall off after mile 6.  I was totally in the pain locker, my foot was hurting, my legs were aching, and I was simply trying to keep moving forward.


One major challenge was a pretty good incline at mile 9.  On any given day it wouldn't of been a problem but I was already hurting pretty bad at that point so it just magnified how tough the climb was.  Even coming back down from the climb, I thought I could coast down and catch a little break on my pace.  Yeah that wasn't happening, all my legs did was tell me even more how over this run they were.

I cant tell you how happy I was to see the finish line.  There was no final kick, no finishing strong, it was basically a crawl to the finish line.  My official time was 1:51:34 which ended up being an 8:34 pace.  I spent the rest of the day nursing my wounds because that was a brutal run for me.


Major take away, I don't like hitting these runs solo.  Having your own cheering section or someone to celebrate with at the finish line is a great feeling.  So I don't plan on races without Mrs. Schlub either running as well or coming along with me for moral support any time in the near future.

Secondary take away, my foot was aching on and off throughout the run so I don't think that PF was fully healed.  I had minimal running last week in an attempt to have a fresh foot for this run and it made it a really tough day.  The big test will be how my foot feels tomorrow. 

Plan is to take the next week off, see how my foot feels, then make a decision on what I'm doing for the marathon at the end of February.  I don't want to just finish the marathon, I want to properly train, run a strong race, and finish without thinking I'm going to die.  So we will see how things go this week.

How long does everyone typically take off from running after a really tough race??





11 comments:

  1. *PF* Changs? If that isn't ironic I don't know what is. 1:51 is good enough for running on rusty legs. You have enough fitness that so long as you're at least 70%, I'm confident you'll finish the marathon just fine even if you have to take more time off. Don't fret, they'll always be more opportunities. Though I've been in your dilemma, so the frustration and angst are well understood.

    I don't typically race, but after really big days I try to do some easy 20 to 30 minute effort the next day just to flush things out. Biking is probably the best since there isn't impact, but the thing with biking is that its not running :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, 1:51 on tired legs and aching feet is amazing! Actually, it's amazing in general! Great job!

    I know what you mean about going to a race alone. When I PR'd at the Fort Laud. half last year and no one was waiting for me at the end it was a total bummer. I won't be doing that again anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the rest does you well this week! If I am sore after a race, I do not run until the soreness is completely gone! If I feel "iffy", I will elliptical or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be happy with a 1:51 healthy!!! Great job! My last half was great, but I ended up with a nasty case of Extensor Tendonitis. I took almost 4 full weeks off. It was hard getting back with it but I wanted to be healthy and not prolong the injury.
    You need to just rest up and give you body a chance to fully recover. Try some cross training or pool running.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job!! Congrats on a very fast finish :) It stinks your foot is still bothering you, PF can be tough to kick from what I hear, I sure hope you can find what helps. It will suck to run a marathon hurting. After my speedier races, I usually take a few days off or run just a mile a two so I can stretch and loosen up after a day or so.
    Races are tough when you have to spend a lot of time dodging - doesn't it make you nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. great job getting it done! Sure sounds brutal! You know, pain is a signal, give it rest until it's gone! do something that is more or less pain free. The specificity of running will be lost but at least you will be doing something. You don't want it to haunt you for months. You always have some great take aways, no matter how it turns out for you, I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually take a couple of days off--at least until I can control my legs going down stairs!! I would take care of that PF though, you don't want/need a chronic problem!
    Good job with the race!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always like to get to large races super early, too! One less thing to stress about. Lucky you found that lot full of porta potties along the way. It always stinks when you're late starting a race (even though they're often chip timed) because you were waiting in line. That happened to me at Marine Corps.

    Way to hang tough during the race and now it's time to get that foot feeling better! Sounds like you're planning to make a smart decision about your marathon at the end of February. Hopefully things will go as planned, but if not there's no shame in choosing a full marathon later this spring or even later this year if your training hasn't gone well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man! What a tough race! It sounds like your foot really wasn't ready - or do you think it was just the week off that made you crash at mile 6? It doesn't seem like you should lose fitness that fast! :( Please take more than a week off if you need it. And I agree with Meagan - no shame in doing a later marathon, the right time, if need be. You gotta heal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kudos to you for toughing it out and finishing! I had PF just before my last marathon so I understand that annoying foot pain for sure. I taped my foot with KT tape the night before the marathon, put on my compression socks to keep it in place and ran with it taped for the race. It didn't bother me at all until I was finished. I freeze a water bottle and roll it under my food to help heal. I also bought a bumpy massage type of ball to roll under my foot.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job on sticking with it during a tough race. The crowds at super large races can be a challenge (both prerace and during). PF can take a while to heal and depending what is causing it, it make take some strengthening time before it's 100%. Hopefully some rest and TLC will fix you up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!