Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Sunday, January 11, 2015

On The Mend...1 Week to Race Day

Thanks to everyone who provided advice and insight, it was hugely helpful.  Even though I've only been running for a year, I think I could develop my own injury section with the number of injuries I've dealt with so far lol.

For an actual update, I pretty much shut things down last week.  I had a jog here and there just to test out my foot and by Friday I was already feeling better.  I've been sticking to the ice and stretching a ton which has led to less tightness in my calves and foot.

Tonight Buster and I headed to the big park in our neighborhood to knock out a jog.  Threw on my trail shoes and hit the soft grass.  Foot felt great and ended up knocking out a whole mile.  Completed the run in just over 8 minutes then drove home as fast I could to ice and stretch.  No issues as I'm lying here getting ready for bed.  We will see how I feel in the morning.

Race update...Towards the end of last year Mrs. Schlub and I signed up for a popular half marathon that attracts a ton of runners.  The past medals are super cool which always makes things more enticing.  Well that race is coming up this Sunday.  That's right...13 miles this Sunday on a gimp foot.  Good thing is that I don't have time goals because this race gets so big it's pretty much impossible to hit your goals.  So this race is just for fun but I sure was worried last week with my foot issues.  Depending on how my foot feels in the morning, I hope to get a few runs in this week to get ready for the race, we shall see.

When was your last injury?  Did it impact any of your races??

6 comments:

  1. I really am curious if the issue doesn't stem more from the calves (because of focusing on elevation gain) but the result is felt more in your feet. Good luck in the race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you had no issues after the run with Buster! I did a short 20 minute run last night and didn't have any pain either -- WHOO! Go us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, bummer. I hope you feel better! I am actually headed to the doctor this a.m. to check on my left leg. It had been annoying during this training cycle so it's time. Being out is aggravating, hopefully the the and ice was enough to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you are doing better!!! With a race on sunday, I would not only be stretching but foam roll like a crazy man! I would foam roll your legs from top to bottom!! Keep all your tendons and muscles nice and loose in your legs! I am sure you will be fine for your race, just don't push too hard. Even with minimal running for a couple weeks you will still be able to get through 13 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you still felt good when you woke up this am! PLEASE be careful at the race and take it easy if you have to (I know, it's hard!!!). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your foot is feeling better. Have a great race tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!