Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Keep The Good Runs Rolling

I’m guessing that forgetting my shoes yesterday was NOT a sign of how 2015 is going to turn out because I was very pleased with my run on Monday and today I had a pretty solid run as well.

I hit the mountain on my lunch break expecting to put in a moderate effort.  That would be about 20 – 22 minutes climbing to the saddle then about 10-15 minutes coming back down with a total run time of about 38 minutes.  Well the trail was littered with hikers seemingly unaware of trail running/hiking etiquette.  Everyone is supposed to move out of my way because this is my mountain LOL.


Funny thing is that on New Year’s Day, Meg over at Meg Go Run posted about not getting annoyed at the gym this time of year when they are packed with new members trying to start a workout program.  Well I have this problem year round on the trails with hikers.  Now I know what everyone is going to say, “Hey GUY you just forgot your shoes on Monday, you’re still a newb yourself.”  In response to that I would say “Ok your right” BUT my concern for most of these new hikers is complete disregard for how treacherous the mountain can be.  Today I saw a guy in a nice pair of Nike casual shoes (perfect footwear for the trail, come on Guy) move to the outside of the trail and just about slip down the side of the mountain.  Plenty of hikers walking side by side taking up the whole trail or even worse are the hikers going up without any water.  Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of experienced hikers out there that have the proper equipment, hydration, and abide by the rules of the trail.  I love these people because they get the heck out of my way lol but all kidding aside, they are well aware of the dangers and make sure they are properly prepared.  Now I’m doing my best to be kind and courteous because I have to work through this for the next few months so don’t be surprised if you see this same rant pop up all over again every week lol.


Nonetheless, I had a pretty decent run.  I hit the climbing pretty good but had to keep making up time from all the stop and go.  Hit the saddle just under 22 minutes covering 1.5 miles and 825 feet of elevation gain, which was a solid start.  The downhill did not go as expected, there was a lot more traffic coming down so it took me another 22 minutes coming back.  Total run was 3 miles, 44 minutes, and 825 feet of elevation gain. 

First take away, my stamina is coming back.  I didn’t think I could still make it to the saddle in that amount of time but I hung in there and put in a good climb.  Second take away, make sure to wear my headband.  I had it in the car and was too lazy to go back and get it when I started.  Half mile in and my eyes were burning from all the sweat.

Finally, I apologize to everyone who is currently dealing with horrible weather.  We have had lows in the mid 40’s and highs in the mid 70’s, so pretty much perfect weather.  Here is a cropped together shot from the saddle today; it’s ok to be jealous.


Have you run into any of the newly active beginning their new year’s resolutions plans?  Hikers/Runners/Gym Goers???

12 comments:

  1. Haha I love your rant! When I was a trail newb, I ran trail in my "normal" running shoes. I didn't understand how important having actual trail shoes was! Luckily, I had a running group I did trail with so they sort of taught me the tricks of the trail. I guess I caught on eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice rant! I've forgot my shoes before too. There isn't much worse. There is definitely an uptick of new folks at my gym. Hoping February comes soon and they start to slack off. I'm all for everyone being active and fit, but just respect the rules and be polite (which isn't always the case with new folks).

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. I may be a bit jealous of the weather...
    I haven't come across any "New Year's" runners out on the roads here...maybe next week.
    It is kind of scary when you see people who are unprepared venturing out on the trails--an accident or incident waiting to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate people like that! When I run outside I always run into people who for some reason walk in a line as if they were holding hands, I'm not talking about 2 people - no! 5-6 people! making it impossible for anyone to get around them. and they don't move! I hate them! i mean.. when you see someone running towards you you make room for them to run through your little "holding-hands-walking-party", mkay? apperantly this isn't something people understand. people are stupid, oh my lord. So I totally understand why you get annoyed. I also hate the people who feel the need to occupy the treadmills at the gym for a 1 hour WALK. Stupid. They should save their money and just walk around in circles in their livingroom instead. I hate those people too. Haha I hate too many people xD
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous of your weather! You're supposed to be sweating it out in the heat like me!

    Why don't all the new hikers understand rule #1: get out of Richard's way. I think you should post up signs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Resolutionists" Give them about 3 weeks ,tops, and they will disappear....yes, your weather is enviable! we are still in the snow rain sleet ice, and now fog thing! Enjoy yourself out there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I essentially never carry water or bring any of the other "essential" trail gear haha. I'm still only seeing the usual people on the trails. Some peoples new year's ambitions are probably discouraged by the snow and negative temps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fortunately don't go to the gym so I don't deal with the newbs! And I don't run on trails that are clogged up with newbs....mainly because nobody wants to hike on trails when it is 0 out!!! :) I would love to have weather like you do to be able to run in! Thank you for allowing me to be jealous! I appreciate that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you got your run in despite all of the obstacles. :) My parents will be in Phoenix for two weeks starting Saturday and I'm so happy they'll be treated to nice weather (instead of the MI weather they're dealing with now).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great run! Well, except for the darn folks that need to get off your trail lol
    The gym has been full of people getting in my darn way! Darn resolutions lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel ya! It is really frustrating when you encounter folks who don't know trail etiquette. My biggest pet peeve is people who have their dog on one of those retractable leashes (that you cannot pull back in when the dog is charging at me full speed!). Then they act all surprised when their dog runs and jumps on me and they have no control. Seriously, you didn't see that one coming??

    Nevertheless, I'm glad you had a good run! I'm still looking for my trail stamina, but I'm hoping it'll start to return soon! It's frustrating when your body won't do that your mind wants to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!