Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, January 5, 2015

I'm a Total Newb

I like to think that I have made some progress over the last year and significant strides in terms of running.  Then a day comes along like Monday and totally reminds me that I’m still a NEWB.

Everyone better know what movie this is from!!
I have been on vacation for the last two weeks so I was up a little later than I wanted to be Sunday night making sure I had all my stuff.  I had my work stuff, needed my food for the day, and my running stuff to get a run in during lunch.  Too much going on for a Monday after two weeks off, so guess what I forgot??  My D$#@ running shoes!!  What the H#$% is wrong with me??


There are a few vital items that are needed to hit a run and my shoes are absolutely one of them.  There is no way I’m parading up the mountain in my dress shoes, although that would be quite an interesting challenge if I attempted lol.  I may have to keep an extra pair of shoes in the car just in case this ever happens again…OR…I can just remember to pack ALL my stuff the night before like an experienced runner would.



Now most of my bickering is greatly exaggerated, I laughed when I was in the car preparing to put my running shoes on with no shoes in sight.  Although, if you believe in Omens, I am all geared up for a good start to 2015 with my first work week run and this is how it goes.  That CANNOT be a good sign for things to come lol.

Nonetheless, I cut out some time later in the evening to knock out some miles because there is no way I could let myself start out the week this way.


Ended up running 4.76 miles with the first being a warm up mile with Buster so he can do his business and the last .76 as a cool down.  I didn't have a pace in mind for miles 2-4 but just wanted to hold a consistent pace.  Ended up negative splitting the miles at 8:05, 7:47, and 7:33.  So the miles I concentrated on, I averaged a 7:48 pace which I feel pretty good about.  So even though the day started out pretty rough, I ended it on a positive note which hopefully eliminates all those bad vibes from earlier today.


Okay everyone, time to pony up again, what are some of the items you have forgotten before one of your workouts?  I know I’m not the only one in the land of Newbville.

14 comments:

  1. Hahaha well you still got in a great run .... look at those neg. splits! That's awesome!

    I'm jealous that Buster runs with you for a mile. Duke has to have surgery on one of his paws this month from an old racing injury. After he heals up from that I'll definitely be putting him on a doggie couch to 5K program :)

    When we were moving some of our initial stuff to the new apartment I grabbed my running clothes and shoes but forgot socks! I've also forgotten socks almost every time we go on vacation, including one time when we went on a cruise. I had to buy a $25 pair of socks at one of the ports we stopped at! They're apparently made of bamboo.... they feel just like my normal 3 for $12 socks to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to watch Busters mileage, don't want him getting an injury or anything. I saw you mention Dukes paw, I hope everything goes we'll with the procedure.

      Yikes $25?? I would have went barefoot lol.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear! Maybe an extra pair of running shoes in the car would make for a good back up. Or maybe it will never happen again, as you're now over the craziness of returning to work after the holidays.

    I have forgotten a sports bra for a run before. Needless to say that run didn't happen. Sports bras are as essential as running shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it was just the craziness and my mind is back on track now.

      Yeah I could see that terminating a run real quick.

      Delete
  3. Almost the same thing happened to me yesterday! I thought I had everything packed up, and I forgot my hat, gloves, and neck warmer...it was 15* with 45mph wind gusts. I saved the run for the treadmill in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cold, I'm freezing just thinking about that cold.

      Delete
  4. I hate to forget something. I can not tell how many times I have forgot my Garmin...I mean, really it's almost as crucial as shoes lol Your speedy is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah there is no way I would run without that, if it's not on my Garmin the run didn't exist to me lol

      Delete
  5. ugh! I forgot my shirt once when I got to the gym. Whatever I was wearing TO the gym wasn't appropriate for climbing and I couldn't wear just my bra since it was a bra bra....I forgot my sports bra too :( I ended up having to buy a t-shirt there, which I still have in my gym bag! I also forgot my bike helmet at the start of a race and had to hastily grab someone else's which wobbled all over my head and made me swear the entire time....every lap, there I was, pointing at my head and swearing! Pretty comical actually...extra shoes in the car, way to go. good job getting to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The helmet bouncing on my head would drive me crazy too. Yeah extra sites sounds like the way to go.

      Delete
  6. As for running stuff I am actually pretty good, but I try to pack 2 of everything that way if I forget something I still have it!!! :) Buuuuuutttttttt, a couple a weeks ago me and a friend decided to run to the pool, swim and run back. We got to the pool and I noticed I had left my money to get in at her house!!! We got very lucky that this happened in the small town we both grew up in and we both knew the woman working. She let me in and I paid her when I was heading home later that night!
    Problem is now that I have said in running I haven't forgot anything, I am going to have to be very very careful or my turn will be next!!
    Not a newb thing though, I think anyone can forgot anything at anytime! We are humans and people are too distracted to get it right all the time. Right? lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm 2 of everything sounds like a good plan. Yeah you totally jinxed yourself, can't wait for that blog post blasting me all over the place lol.

      Delete
  7. Oh no! Yeah, you kinda need your shoes hey. A sign from the universe that you simply weren't meant to run that lunchtime perhaps? Sounds like you made up for it later, so all good. Umm, not having a hairband has stopped me in the past, sounds stupid yeah, but I cannot imagine running or working out with my hair out, I imagine it would end in some kind of sweaty giant knot for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah second run was still good. I can totally get the headband, I hate when sweat is just pouring down, it's frustrating.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!