Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Strong Race But Need to Stay The Course

First, congrats to Sage Canaday for his huge win at the North Face 50 yesterday. Some were calling it an ultra championship based on the talent there and he goes out and kills it for the win.

Ok back on track...

Today Mrs. Schlub and I were running the Hot Chocolate 15K for our official 1 year runniversary.  I have to tell you, the Hot Chocolate Run goes all out for the racers and is really one of the best runs we've done.  Our registration covered the race, a zip up event sweater, finisher medal, and post race goodies.  A whole list of favorite items for all of us racers. 


We woke up around 5:45am, to arrive at the race location around 7:00am, with a race start time of 8:15am.  We met up with our friends, made a couple bathroom stops, and of course had to take our pre race pictures.


Based on registration Mrs. Schlub and I were assigned to the first 15K corral but we decided to move back a corral to start with all our friends.  Not the best idea for me but I'll cover that in a bit.  15K is an odd distance, not too many races around here have a 15K distance so I just wanted to keep my race plan pretty simple.  The plan was to hold a pace around 7:00 - 8:00 min/mile which would have me finishing around 1hr 10min - 1hr 15min.  Mrs.  Schlub has not been feeling 100% this past week so she didnt have big expectations for the race but she wanted to run the race under 11:00 min/mile.

The corrals were packed and we had a 10 min wait between corrals which felt like F-O-R-E-V-E-R.  Our corral got moved up to the start line and we were off and running.  At this point I am not the fastest runner at any of the events we run, but I usually try to be up front in the corrals to avoid all the traffic.  Well moving back a corral, I was surrounded by slower traffic and ended up weaving in and out for the first mile.  I was lucky to click off the first mile just under 8 min/mile.  After that I settled in and started to click off mile after mile.  The race was pretty non eventful once things spread out.

I ended up finishing in 1:10:56 which is a 7:37 min/mile pace, and Mrs. Schlub finished in 1:38:49 which is a 10:36 min/mile.

We both nailed our goals and ran really solid races.  After the race we got our finisher medals and our post race goodies.  The post race mug was filled with hot chocolate, dipping chocolate for pretzels, wafers, bananas, and a few other treats.


Awesome finisher medal

All the chocolate goodies, great post race fuel.
One major take away from the race, I'm progressing and need to stick to the plan.  This week was filled with around 30 total miles, quite a bit of elevation gain, and two days of strength training.  Then on Saturday I played a little soccer at an event for our church and thought for sure my legs would of been dead for the race.  Well I went out and ran some great splits and held a strong level pace for the entire race.


Great race, but need to keep building on this because 107th overall is not even close to where I want to be, back to the hard work on Tuesday.

Who else raced this weekend?  Do you train on tired legs so you run strong on race day or do you need fresh legs to have a good run?

20 comments:

  1. Way to go guys!!! Great race for both of you, nailing your goals!

    I was following Sage this weekend, too! Did you hear his post-race interview with iRunFar? He said he is going to try to qualify for the Olympic Trials at the Houston Marathon next month! That's exactly why Sage is one of the most impressive overall runners out there right now - he's kicking ass up mountains, on trails, in ultras and road marathons! At first I was skeptical of him, but he's totally won me over this year! Go Sage!

    Also super exciting that Anton got into Hardrock for next year! If he can stay healthy the finish between him and Kilian should be interesting! I'm sure Kilian will crush the course again, but Anton can give him better competition than he had last year I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't like the results but it really was a great race.

      Sage us awesome, I knew he was giving it a go at Houston so I really hope his schedule allows him to run.

      Yeah I'd just like to see Anton go out and compete, don't like to see him injured.

      Delete
  2. Awesome race for you both! Congrats! You did a great job with your splits. It is hard to find the right "place" to start. I have only recently started edging my way up closer to the "midfront". Before that, it was to the back!
    Speed work works!!!
    BTW, I think your idea of hot chocolate weather is different than mine. Heading out to run now, and I am procrastinating because it is 11*...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised by the splits, I'm not very good at pacing myself.

      Yeah I need to stay at the front o the pack, that traffic was brutal.

      11*...dibs like excuses to me lol

      Delete
  3. Great report! Good job! what a great feeling to hit your goals! You guys are always an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good to set a goal and then preform as expected. Just wish my performance was a bit more competitive with the other runners. Just need to keep training.

      Delete
  4. Sage is amazing! You are quite the speedy yourself :) You did a great job holding your pace, you splits look great! Doesn't it amaze you that can cover 9.32 miles in a little over an hour! Congrats to Mrs. S she ran a great race as well. That is really the best race swag I have ever seen, I love the zip up jacket idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I thought I was moving along fine but I guess not as fast as I thought lol.

      It is really cool race swag, def a race we will keep doing.

      Delete
  5. Love the goodies you got with this run! Especially the sweater and medal! Well done on smashing your goal too! Congrats to you both! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they really take care of the runners.

      It was a solid run for both of us.

      Delete
  6. Ah, Sage. I see Anton at least once a month but can never seem to cross paths with Mr. Canaday. Maybe he is just too fast!

    Solid run! Great pacing especially, opened conservative then sped up. Really well done. I never feel like racing till I read your reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man I'm so jealous you run into those guys. I'd probably runner stalk then and try to hold pace with them for as long as I could. Is that weird lol.

      Yeah the pacing was a surprise, usually I'm all over the place but I got into a pretty good grove.

      Delete
  7. That medal looks so freaking cute! Congrats to you both on nailing your goals :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute??? You mean manly and awesome right lol.

      They did a great job with the inaugural medal, it really is cool looking.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on meeting your goals! I am surprised you only had to deal with congestion for a mile, starting back so far! And I love the medals they added.

    107th seems really good for that many runners. What percentage did you want to be in?

    I run on tired legs during training, and save fresh legs for racing, so then I feel really good ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhg the congestion, still annoying me to this day lol.

      I wanted to be in the top 1% but I'm a long way from that lol

      I need to train more on tired legs, I think it will help on race day.

      Delete
  9. Great job! Congrats to both of you! I've heard the hot chocolate races are fun to do with a group but can be really crowded. Way to hit your time goal even with a crowd. I'm a big fan of training on tired legs. It's really helped me over the past few months and I feel much stronger in the later miles of races.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to do this race but there aren't any in NY. Congrats on a great race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great race, two years in a row for us and they seem to get better each year.

      Delete
  11. Congrats on a great race! That jacket looks so comfy and they had awesome race 'swag' and post-race food!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!