Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, December 15, 2014

Review of 2014 Races

Mrs. Schlub and I have closed out our last race for 2014.  We have a ton of training runs to knock out for the rest of the year with our Marathon coming up in February, but today I was back over all my races this year.  I have to say, it was a pretty darn good year for races and has me stoked for 2015.  I'm a stat junkie so I have all the numbers for this year, how else do I tell if I'm improving or not lol.

January 11th - Run/Walk/Roll 5K
Distance - 3.10 miles
Time - 0:23:26
Pace - 7:33 min/mile
Summary - This was the first race of the year and only a couple months after our first official race.  Ended up being a PR from our first race and a great way to start out the year.

April 26th - Pat's Run
Distance - 4.2 miles
Time - 0:40:21
Pace - 9:40 min/mile
Summary - This race is HUGE and with it being in memory of a fallen soldier, has a lot of sentimental meaning.  Unless your in the first corral there is no way to have a decent time in this race so I was running with Mrs. Schlub for pure enjoyment.  Still a great run for the two of us.

May 3rd - Dbacks Run 5K
Distance - 3.10 miles
Time - 0:21:31
Pace - 6:56 min/mile
Summary - This was a big run for me.  I had this planned as a goal race for me and the plan was to finish between 21 and 22 minutes.  The whole thing almost got derailed as I was battling a stomach bug that week.  Was able to put that aside and dominate this race.  A part of me still thinks that sub 20 min was possible had I been 100% that day.

May 10th - The Night Run 10K
Distance - 6.20 miles
Time - 1:04:12
Pace - 10:19 min/mile
Summary – This race had a lot of items that I remembered.  First, I was running with Mrs. Schlub which is always great.  Second, I’m sure this was the first time I ran anything longer than about 4 miles.  Third, I had been battling ITB issues earlier in the year so it was nice to complete a nice long run without any injuries.

May 18th – Race for the Girls Virtual Run
Distance – 4.00 miles
Time – 0:38:21
Pace – 9:33 min/mile
Summary – Our friend was raising funds for the Susan G Komen 3 Day walk so she held a virtual run as a fundraiser.  It was only a 5K but Mrs. Schlub and I got some extra miles in for an even 4 miles.  It was really fun to run with all our friends.

June 14th – Father’s Day Beer Run Virtual Run
Distance – 13.1 miles
Time – 2:46:48
Pace – 12:44 min/mile
Summary – Yikes this run was brutal.  Mrs. Schlub purchased me a virtual run for father’s day and I selected the half marathon distance, my first ever by the way.  Oh yeah, I did it on trails lol.  So glad I was able to finish but man I don’t know what I was thinking lol.

September 14th – 4 Miles for 40th Bday
Distance – 4 miles
Time – 0:33:17
Pace – 8:19 min/mile
Summary – Our friend was turning 40 so she put together a virtual run to celebrate.  I remember I started out real slow and then chased down a buddy of mine who was going for a fast mile.  When he started to slow I figured just keep going and ended up knocking out a pretty good run.

September 27th – The Cornerstore Run 5K
Distance – 3.02
Time – 0:30:01
Pace – 9:57 min/mile
Summary – Throw out the huge difference in course distance and no chip timing, this race was awesome!  To gain exposure, one of the sponsors was offering free entry into the race for the first 500 people so we got into the race for free.  Then after the race the runners were treated with TONS of goodies to take home.  Honestly one of the best post race give away I have seen so far.

October 11th – Oktoberfest Foot Race 10K
Distance – 6.04 miles
Time – 0:45:00
Pace – 7:15 min/mile
Summary – This was a pretty cool race, no finisher medal but they gave out beer steins and who can turn down free beer at the finish line.  This was my first competitive 10K and ended up with a 2ndplace AG finish.

October 18th – The Color Dash 5K
Distance – 2.84 miles
Time – 0:37:13
Pace – 13:05 min/mile
Summary – This was the second run of the day which I was coming off a half marathon training run earlier that morning.  It was what it was and we will probably never do another one again lol.

November 9th – Xterra Trail Run Half Marathon
Distance – 14 miles
Time – 2:13:38
Pace – 10:12 min/mile
Summary – This was the highlight of my year.  Got my doors blown off by the competition, got dominated by a huge mountain in the last mile, and because of cramping almost didn’t finish.  Yet, still the most epic trail run I’ve ever had and want to sign up for many more in 2015 lol.

December 7th – The Hot Chocolate Run 15K
Distance – 9.33 miles
Time – 1:10:56
Pace – 7:37 min/mile
Summary – Knocked out my race goal and was actually really surprised with my results.  I wanted to finish under 1hr 15min and killed that.  Other thing was that I was really surprised by my ability to hold a 7:30 pace for nearly 10 miles, really good sign for 2015.

December 13th – 12k’s of Christmas
Distance – 7.55 miles
Time – 0:55:47
Pace – 7:29 min/mile
Summary – Great way to close out 2014.  This was the second of two races where I was able to hold a 7:30 pace for middle distance run.  Super excited for 2015.

Overall, it was a great year of races.  Training really paid off and to be sitting here injury free going into 2015 is probably the biggest accomplishment.  Like I said in the last two races, looking back at my first race of 2014 I ran that 5K at a 7:33 min/mile pace and now I had 9.3 and 7.5 miles holding the same pace, incredible.

Now that my pat on the back is over, I have A LOT more training to knock out.  On these flat courses I really want to be around 6:00 min/mile which I am a long way from.  All of you that come back frequently will have to read all about this again come the first part of the year when I write my 2015 Goals lol….sorry!!

How are you closing out 2014?  Strong finish or are you taking it easy to start out 2015 real strong??

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on a great 2014 ;) I think some of the text is gone though..? It stops after May 10th, and I know you've been doing races after that too :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally all about goals! I made a lot of them for 2015 but not unattainable ones...the best part is once you surpass one, you get to make another!! You had an awesome 2014! And I am sure those 6's aren't as far off as you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your May 5K was amazing! You had a great year of races :) My list is very short lol I think 2015 is going to be great for you! I feel a little weak closing out this year, because I was running a little faster average pace last winter, but I am doing more long runs...at least I feel pretty good, right :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lot's of racing this year and so much more to come next year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!