Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, December 29, 2014

MIA For the Holidays, Finally Back

I hope everyone had a great holiday.  We had way too much food around our parts and not nearly enough running.  So we are attempting to make up for it after the fact. 

Quick refresher, our last race of the year took place on December 13th.  After the race I pretty much felt gassed and ended up taking a break from 12/14 to 12/20 which was a full week off.  Since that big break I've had some pretty solid runs and I feel like I'm getting back in the groove of things.

December 26th
This was my first trail run since my break.  It felt good to hit some of the climbs and then bomb back down the trail.  Biggest take away was how quickly I lost my ability to climb the mountains.  My legs felt strong but I got gassed quick, so I will need to keep a steady dose of elevation gain in my runs from here on out.

8 miles --- 1,080 feet elevation gain --- 11:13 min/mile pace



December 28th
Mrs. Schlub was running with her running group so I decided to pick up some miles.  No pace intended for the run, just wanted to get my legs back in the swing of things.  Biggest take away was that it was freaking cold.  I know most of you east coasters will laugh but out here in AZ, starting at 5am in 36* weather is crazy cold LOL.

9.46 miles --- 111 feet elevation gain --- 10:56 min/mile pace

December 29th
This was a great trail run.  Went out in the afternoon and again hit some hills just trying to build up my climbing stamina.  Got some great pics and and little trail video, sorry for the turbulence.

5.84 miles --- 772 feet elevation gain --- 10:26 min/mile pace






14 comments:

  1. You are rocking some elevation :) The mountains look awesome in the morning. Your legs probably need to break every so often to let the muscle repair after running those kind of gains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesnt even look like winter out here does it lol.

      They probably do need a break but man it sucks trying to gain back that stamina.

      Delete
  2. Those pictures are amazing! That is some serious elevation gain. I learned that Christmas cookies are NOT good fuel for running. It is going to take some work to get back in the groove again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I think I need to add in more elevation gain.

      Oh man we realized the same thing, I had about 10 chocolate chip cookies for breakfast this morning lol

      Delete
  3. Your video makes me miss trail running! I'm on vacation so this is the best time to do it, what am I waiting for!? Of course today I wake up with a weird pain in the back of my legs so I suppose the trail run won't be happening today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, full year of training and it seems normal to be running down a bit. Rest if you need to.

      Delete
  4. Happy to hear you are back at it!!! Isn't it crazy how quickly we lose a bit of fitness (re: the elevation)? You will have it back in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that sunshine looks so nice! It's bleak here in the NW and you know what? tt's 7 am and it's DARK and 16 degrees ! Ha ha ha.... Brrrr. my mileage since having the flu 12/18? 0.0 I even bought a sticker! Time to get back at it. Glad you are out there again. I appreciate the updates! Gives me something to contemplate while I sit here drinking coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey that flu sucks so you did the right thing by resting. You will get back out there in no time.

      Delete
  6. Right with you, time to start getting regular again. I'm thinking if I can force two weeks or so, it will become an ingrained habit again. Good to see that elevation, go for a 10k week sometime, your legs will hate you! :)

    36 sounds peachy! I haven't been above zero nor had less than ankle deep snow over the past three days. If the forecast holds, tomorrow should warm up to 7!

    Happy Trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I cant even imagine what my legs would feel like with 10K feet in one week.

      Im waiting for some snow trail pics man.

      Delete
  7. Great job getting back at it! I'm in the same situation as you - too much food and not enough running over the holidays. Now I'm trying to get back in a good rhythm before I go back to work on Monday. Got in a trail run yesterday and my legs felt pretty good, but it was my lungs/lack of fitness that limited me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!