Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, December 4, 2014

First Year Runniversary!!!

Last year on almost the same exact day Mrs. Schlub and I were running in our very first official race.  The race was called The Hot Chocolate 15/5K and we were participating in the 5K distance.  As we are coming into this weekend and we are preparing to run the 15K distance this year (9.32 miles), I have to take time to think back over this year and reflect on how much has changed since last December.





Of course both Mrs. Schlub and I started running prior to this event but this is what I consider the beginning of our running life as it was our first official running event.  This would lead to a full year of milestones, life accomplishments, and a ton of fantastic memories.  Mrs. Schlub dragged me into this new running life kicking and screaming and these days I can’t imagine life without having a plan for my next run.  So here are a few of our big accomplishments with 1 year of our running life under our belt.

Mrs. Schlub:
1)      Lost 100 pounds – Yup that’s right!  Running in addition to Weight Watchers and a healthier diet, Mrs. Schlub lost over 100 pounds.  Now you can see why she is my motivation, she has done things that I couldn’t even imagine doing.

2)      2 Half Marathons – Mrs. Schlub has officially completed two half marathons compared to my ONE.  Although I have plenty of training runs over 13 miles under my belt lol.

3)      14 min to 10 min – Looking back over her stats, she started out running at a 14 min/mile pace and now days she is clicking off miles in the 10 min/mile pace, huge progress in just one year.

Running Schlub
1)      Half Marathon Trail Run – This has to be the highlight of my running career so far.  Definitely the hardest run I’ve completed and at the same time confirmed my love of trail running.

2)      Mrs. Schlub PR – Mrs. Schlub recently destroyed her Half Marathon PR, and my job was to bike around the course and make sure she had everything she needed.  Helping her to nail her runs is a huge boost for me and actually means more than my own PR’s.

3)      Still Going – Prior to December 2013, if someone had told me that I would run over 1,000 miles in 2014 I probably would have laughed.  This running this has kind of stuck in our home and I don’t see it going away any time soon.

When I sit down and think about all the things we accomplished over our first year of running, it’s pretty incredible.  Of course it’s a matter of perspective because there are always faster runners out there winning more races, but you have to stop and celebrate the milestones and accomplishments because it helps to drive you and keeps you striving for even more accomplishments.

How many years have you been running?  What are some of your big running accomplishments that remind you why you participate in this crazy sport?

17 comments:

  1. Whoa! I don't think you need to put the perspective disclaimer in there! You guys had an awesome year! How fantastic! I love that you are doing this together! :)

    I've been running for 8 years. :) Hmm, the big accomplishments for me are my endurance and how good it feels to me to run a lot. I am more about that than lowering my times/running fast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing it together definitely makes it so much more enjoyable.

      Nothing wrong with running for the sheer enjoyment.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your runniversary!!!! You both sure have accomplished A LOT!!! So exciting to be able to look back and see where you were compared to where you are....just think about where you are GOING!!!!!
    I ran in school but just started again last May! I went from smoker to half marathoner in the matter of 3 months and 6 days! I am now getting ready to start training for my first full!! Knowing that only 7 months ago I was a smoker and that now I can run 13.1 miles in 2 hours is CRAZY!!! I love seeing the times drop, energy increase and the friends OMGracious the friends you make in this sport! Its like one big happy, crazy, sweaty, family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to look into the future too much so its nice to stop and look back on the journey thus far. Its been pretty amazing so far and sure does feel good to be living much healthier.

      Oh man that is like Mrs. Schlub, she smoked for a long time and now she is crazy healthy. That is a HUGE accomplishment, going from being a smoker to a runner. Congrats.

      Delete
  3. That is an amazing amount of progress!!!!! Congrats to Mrs.S, sticking to a plan and losing that much weigh is really awesome :) You both have really grown as runners and should feel really great about your active lifestyle and everything you have accomplished ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and i love the 15K distance, I usually do two races year that are 15 K :) Enough to be a challenge and yet not enough, so no big recover is needed :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah losing that much weight is CRAZY. I think we tend to forget how beneficial this new lifestyle is so its nice to have a reminder here and there lol.

      We will see how the 15K distance goes, we dont have many runs around here at that distance.

      Delete
  4. AWESOME JOBS! You BOTH are inspiring! Just imagine what the next year holds... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coach! Yeah its pretty exciting to think what accomplishments will come in the future.

      Delete
  5. I think Mrs. Schlub needs to guest post again on your blog! I'd love to learn more about her incredible journey over the last year!

    You guys are the power couple of the running blog world! You are both crushing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling her to guest blog for me, her story is ten times better than mine lol.

      I think I should turn this into a couple blog so everyone gets both of our stories.

      Delete
  6. Losing 100 pounds is amazing! I always find it interesting on the various reasons why people run, whether it be for health, fun, competition, etc (or any combination thereof). Not that one is more valid than another, but its interesting.

    I started running junior year of high school once I realized the only thing I liked about sports was the conditioning. In high school I would often pick a hobby get sort-of good then move on to something else, I was looking for something that I could really dedicate myself to. Then I moved to Boulder and I saw all that running could be and elected to pursue running as both a passion and something to always work towards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post! You both should be very proud. I'm really impressed with how much you have both grown as runners (or in Mrs. S's case, shrunk I guess!). Congrats to you both! I'm excited to see what happens in year 2.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is SO GREAT! Fabulous year for you guys~ very inspiring . Hey, do they give you more cocoa on the 15k distance? :) Always glad to see your posts but yes, I agree, the Mrs. needs to do a guest post! Hope the race went well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 100 lbs - simply amazing. I started running in 2008 but seriously in 2010. I had injuries in 2011,12,13 but this year, NONE! My biggest accomplishment! No, really my first half marathon. i was shocked that I could do it. I am training for my 10th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has been on such an amazing journey, the dedication she has is way beyond anything that I could have ever done.

      I think we all start out with some injuries but as we grow and learn more we find out how our body runs best and what to avoid.

      10th Half Marathon, congrats. Do you have a blog that all this is documented?

      Delete
  10. Happy Runiversary! Running the 15K sounds like a perfect way to celebrate. Y'all have had so many accomplishments this year. Can't wait to see what year 2 will bring.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!