Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, December 19, 2014

Been So Blah Lately

Okay everyone, so I’ve been a terrible blogger buddy this week and even worse is that I’ve been a terrible runner.  Based on my running schedule (I use a Sun – Sat schedule), Mrs. Schlub and I had two races in the same week.  The Hot Chocolate run was on Sunday 12/7 and within the same week, the 12k’s of Christmas was on Saturday 12/13.  I have not run since then.



You can all ask Mrs. Schlub, I was pretty moody and grumpy in the beginning of the week and just did not feel like running.  Once that subsided, with a little pampering from Mrs. Schlub (she is the best wife ever :) ), I was able to start getting my mind and emotions back on track.  

I needed a break!!  Over the last couple months my right foot had a nagging pain.  I would take my normal rest days, it would start to feel better, and then the next trail run would bring the pain right back.  The pounding from 9.3 miles and 7.5 miles was not the best formula to allow healing but then again they were both fantastic races for me so I can’t complain.  It felt as though I stepped on something wrong or had a slight twisted ankle and I just wasn’t giving myself enough time to heal.  Additionally, I’ve been having a lot of tightness in my left hamstring.  I think it was just a product of the faster pace at higher miles and again I just needed to give my body some time to heal.

So tomorrow will be one full week since I’ve run any type of training distance and I’m actually ready to run again and looking forward to knocking out some miles.  In a way, I think this little break was a blessing in disguise.  Now I can start focusing on the marathon!!  Beginning the end of September I started to test my running ability, was concerned with the task of running 26.2 miles, and decided to throw in some 20 mile runs.  So from the end of September to now I recorded around 6 separate runs between 13 and 20 miles.  I think I started way too early and could have been burnt out by the time the marathon came.  Very grateful that whether it was on purpose or accident that this little break came about.  I’m looking at 10 weeks to the marathon and I really feel that is going to be perfect leading up to the race. 

On that note thanks to everyone who is throwing down miles and knocking out races because those really helped get me back on track.  Reading about the challenges and success that my fellow bloggers are going through gets the running bug going and you start to look forward to your next run or race.  BUT…don’t forget, we all need a little break now and again LOL.

When you’re slumping or feeling a little lazy, what motivation do you use to get you back out on roads/trails and clicking off some miles

5 comments:

  1. I am right there with ya! This week has been a wash running wise for me, but I hope the race this weekend turns that all around.

    I really agree though that a little break sometimes helps reignite the passion to start running with purpose again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You run hard with all that elevation, plus your speed, I am sure a break is good for you. Speed will wear out your legs for sure, I hurt quite often doing speed work last winter, which is why I am loving the strides so much. It feels great but those short bursts don't kill your legs nearly as much :) I hate those nagging little pains, I have one in my calf that does that to me. I hope the rest this week, makes it go away for you. We all need a little break every so often, enjoy it, because you know you will be back out there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone needs a break! Otherwise you run the risk of burning out. Don't sweat it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am worried about your foot! I hope you ease back in to it this week and don't aggravate it anymore. Please be careful with it! You want that marathon to be fun, and not in pain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breaks are necessary, just pretend you planned it, that will make you feel better! :) This has been an off month for me, it's always tough with the darkness here in the PNW . I've fallen twice on ice, ouch! and now I have the flu. I'm running in my dreams I guess! But to keep me motivated i read and plan and as soon as i can, we are going to go do a trail run some place new. Cheers! Hope your foot feels better!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!