Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Sunday, December 14, 2014

12K's of Christmas Race Recap

Saturday Mrs. Schlub and I ran in the 12K's of Christmas event.  Some friend's invited us to run this race and it supported local animal shelters which is always a great cause.  In this area 12K (7.5 miles) is a strange distance that isn't offered very often.  So either way Mrs. Schlub and I were PR'ing which is always a great way to go into a race.  Then we saw the weather report...We were looking at 55* and about a 70% chance of rain.  Problem with the rain is that this race was being held along some of our water canals which is primarily packed down dirt.  Add water to that dirt and you get a nice sloppy run.

The rain hit early that morning and was gone by the time we arrived at the race.  We hit the restroom and then searched for our friends.  Standard pre race photos took place.


Mrs. Schlub and I hit the restroom one more time then headed to the start line.  She grouped up with our friends while I headed to the front of the line to avoid all the traffic.  Major take away from last weeks race lol.  The announcer counted us down and then we were off.  Right away we hit the trail and it was definatley going to be a muddy day.  I'm sure it's pretty common but I've noticed that when I'm up at the front with the lead pack, I tend to come out way too fast. Luckily, I was able to settle in after the first mile and knock out another solid run.  Mrs. Schlub had another solid run as well which makes back to back solid runs for both us.  I finished in 55:47 with an average pace of 7:29 min/mile and Mrs. Schlub finished in 1:21:41 with an average pace of 10:58 min/mile.


Great finish for both of us and after a great run you absolutely have to celebrate with your finisher medals.



The rain really did a number on the trail, describing the trail as a muddy day didnt begin to describe the results.  The only way I can describe the race is with this picture:


Although I came out fast, I was able to hold a steady pace for the remainder of the race.  Once again a huge surprise for me because I am normally terrible at pacing myself.  I guess I'm starting to find a good stride which allows me to get into a solid groove.  Not by much but I guess you can say I negative split the last two and a half miles lol.


Major take away from these past two races, my stride has changed A LOT.  I feel like a much different runner from even a couple weeks ago.  The past two races my calves have been really sore which means I am using more of a kick motion rather than a glide motion.  I have been focusing on taking a longer stride in an attempt to use less energy and I really think it's working.  In a way I am trying to use a butt kick stride which is why my calves being sore really makes sense.  So the items I have been working on over the last few weeks seem to really be working and have me on the right path closing out races in 2014.

Do you have more of a kick in your stride or do you tend to glide more with very little leg kick??

14 comments:

  1. I love muddy trails, it's so fun to try and get as dirty as possible! Looks like you succeeded on that front. Another quality race. What kicks are you sporting these days?

    As to lengthening your stride the main idea I seem to get from pros and my old XC coach is that you want to take 90 strides per minute (for example, count 90 strikes with your right foot in 60 sec). Then it is your speed which will largely determine the length of your stride. Especially on uphills, your stride should be quite short. Here are some of the videos I've referred to for stride/cadence inquiries:

    Sage Canaday & Sandi Nypaver
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcBlGb0qgS8

    Scott Jurek
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smPmNDgaXvs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I'm sporting the New Balance Fresh Foam 980 Trail. It offers me a pretty good cross between cushion and flexibility. They have lasted me a pretty long time and still have plenty of tread on them so I've been very pleased.

      Oh man I'm going to check those out. I'm sure I've seen Sage's video, Ive seen just about all his training videos. Best thing is that the stride feels natural and doesnt feel like I'm overstriding.

      Delete
  2. Way to go both of you, especially with those muddy conditions. I'm sure it couldn't have been easy running in that! #33 overall at a distance that you're not used to racing! Whoo!

    Love the medal, that's a cute one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the muddy conditions made it a pretty tough day but we held our own out there. Have to be pleased with #33 but I need to keep training if I'm going to jump closer to the front.

      Bet you'd love the medal more if it was a greyhound on the medal lol.

      Delete
  3. Wow!! Your pace is awesome - trail running is usually a little drop in pace for everyone, but you just seem to cruise along! That's a lot of mud lol and congrats Mrs. S on a great finish. That is a strange distance, but it's fun to kick it up when you don't have to go so far :) Very cute medal to add to the collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was along a trail but it was as flat as could be so that is a pretty good pace given the conditions. I wasnt a fan of the medal when I saw it online but once we got received em, yeah they are pretty cool lol.

      Delete
  4. Great job!! Muddy runs can be so fun!

    I try to aim for 80-90 strides per minute. It helps assure that I don't over reach on my stride and cause a heel strike. It's taken some getting use to, but it has helped minimize injury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah conditions like that have a way of taking you back to when your a kid splashing through puddles.

      So far the stride feels really good and doesnt feel like i'm overstriding. I'll have to take some video on the treadmill to make sure I'm not heel striking.

      Delete
  5. I tend to focus on cadence as well, if I lengthen my stride, I tend to heel strike. GREAT race! (To both of you!)

    If you can get in a pace group for some of the longer/bigger races, it will help you set your pace, then later in the race, you can take off!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EB said the same thing, I'll have to take some video to make sure I'm not heel striking. So far the stride feels great though.

      The past couple races didnt have pacers, but I'm going to look into that for some of our races come the beginning of the year.

      Delete
  6. CONGRATS TO YOU BOTH! :D
    Haha holy mud! Okay, so I'm so jealous of how cute your medals always look! If you don't know what to write about one day, can you please show us all your medals? I'm seriously curious haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great race to you and your wife! I've never run a 12k race but I have run a 13km leg of a relay once. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great race, both of you! Awesome job on pacing. It's interesting to me that you are taking a longer stride, when most "advice" (taken with a rain of salt) is that we all over stride. Sounds like it's working for you!

    Those medals are awesome - LOVE the dog on them! :)

    Did you wear trail shoes? I love seeing all that mud! FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good, muddy trail run or race. Y'all are doing a lot of racing lately. Congrats on another great one! I love the medals.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!