Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, November 14, 2014

The Liebster Awards

Well I guess I have to fulfill my blogger duty.  It’s been a LONG time since I’ve done one of these so I guess it was the right time to come around.

Yesterday Marie over at Simple Runner nominated me for a Liebster Award.  Covering a race or going over training is easy for me, but talking about me….not so easy.  So I’ll do my best, here we go!!


1)      What’s your favorite holiday
I’m not picky when it comes to my holidays.  I really enjoy the ones that get me out of work and allow me to grill up some food and have a nice cold beer.  Although, I have a special liking for those that honor the armed forces for obvious reasons.


2)      Do you have any hidden talents
Ah, see this is one of the reasons I shy away from questions about me, No Hidden Talents.  But Mrs. Schlub has an amazing singing voice and I keep telling her to go tryout for something.  We will see if that ever comes to fruition.

3)      What is one of your greatest fitness accomplishments?
Honestly every race has some type of personal accomplishment.  Whether it is a pacer race for Mrs. Schlub or my first grueling half marathon trail race.  I know it’s not fair for this piece but it’s hard to pick just one because they all have moments and results that I am very thankful for. 

4)      How did you get started running?
I’ve covered this story a few times but I really do enjoy telling everyone about how I started running.  I’ve always loved sports and have always been pretty active but through mid 2013 Mrs. Schlub and I were in a pretty lazy period in our lives.  She decided to make a change and started on the Weight Watchers program.  In an effort to assist her progress, she took up running.  Well as a supportive and loving husband (plus I’m competitive as hell and couldn’t just sit on the sidelines while she was doing so wellJ) I started to run as well.  December 7th will be our one year race anniversary and within that one year we have completed just about ever racing distance below the marathon.  I would have never started if it wasn’t for the Mrs.

5)      What are your hobbies, besides running?
I’ve got a few hobbies outside of running, I still love my adult recreational sports like golf and old man softball, and I always get a lot of joy out of coaching our children’s sports teams. 


6)      If you could run with anyone (dead or alive), who would it be?
Hmmmm…I really like this questions.  I’m going to pick a few since this is my blog and I can do whatever I want lol.  I would really enjoy meeting up with Sage Canaday or Kilian Jornet to knock out an epic trail run.  As for someone who has passed, I think I would choose someone like Abraham Lincoln or Albert Einstein, I just think the running conversation would be amazing.

7)      If you could run any race in the world, which race would you choose and why?
For road races there is always the Boston Marathon, I think everyone who laces up a pair of shoes wants to run there.  As for trails, I would want to run Transvulcania.  The sights of La Palma are amazing and who can beat a volcanic formation with 11,000 feet of elevation gain.  Plus the name is cool as hell lol.



8)      What is the weirdest compliment or advice that anyone has ever given you?
Off the top of my head I cant really think of anything that was intended to be a compliment or advice and just came off as weird.  I’m sure there has been plenty but I just cant think of anything.

9)      Name 5 of your favorite songs right now?
1.       Anything by Avenged Sevenfold
2.       Stay With Me by Sam Smith
3.       Wake Me Up by Acivii
4.       Bang Bang by Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj
5.       Shake It Off by Taylor Swift (As much as I dislike to admit this one lol)

10)   Who do you admire the most and why?
This one is the easiest of the bunch.  I admire Mrs. Schlub the most above anyone else.  She is an amazing Wife/Mom, always taking care of our family and giving as much as she can while asking for nothing in return.  She also changed our entire lives with her desire to be healthier and fit which has now introduced us to our new running lives.  Lastly, I cant tell you how inspiring it is to see her cross the finish line, it make me work harder and push farther knowing she is giving it her all each and every run.


11)   If you could be any character from a TV show, which would you be?
This one is awesome.  I would either be Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead or Walter White (AKA Heisenberg) from Breaking Bad.  Both are absolutely awesome characters.




Unfortunately, I have a small number of blogs I follow so between those everyone I would nominate has already completed one of these.  I hope you enjoyed reading.

17 comments:

  1. OMG you put a Taylor Swift song on your list!!!!! HAH! I love it! Shake It Off is a great song :)

    I could NEVER run with Kilian but man do I want to see him run in person. He's the LeBron James of the ultrarunning world! I need to volunteer at one of his races!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know who sang it and when I found out, huge letdown. But it's a catchy song, can't help it lol.

      Oh man I would love to see him fly by at a race. Even more so in the mountains because he kills it in the mountains

      Delete
  2. Shake it off is a catchy tune! Any holiday I have off work is my favorite lol Wow, you and the Mrs. have accomplished A LOT in your short running careers!!!! That's awesome you coach for your kids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is lol.

      You know when we sit down and talk about it we really have done a lot but I guess time flies when your having fun right??

      Delete
  3. I must be the only runner who is not interested in Boston!

    I love hearing your story about starting running. You have progressed SO MUCH in such a short time! You are a natural!

    Do you like the other Sam Smith song that is on the radio (well, out here) now? "I'm Not The Only One"? That is my play on repeat song right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Boston, WHAT?!?!

      Hmmm I'll have to check that song out.

      Delete
  4. Great answers! yeah, I couldn't ADMIT to the Taylor Swift song....ha ha. And Albert Einstein running....hmm. Cool though! Walter White, that's just hilarious! He certainly is brilliant and has an edge to him! Fun to know more about you! happy weekend running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that Albert was not much of an athlete but how many of us are. I bet he would ramble on for his though and next thing you know, 26 miles done lol.

      Walter white is awesome, just flat out love that character. Even though the basis of his character is very immoral.

      Delete
  5. Fun! I liked reading more about you :) I watched TV coverage of this year's Transvulcania. That is one intense race! I was rooting for Sage the whole way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the Transvulcania is amazing. Standing at sea level looking up at the mountain has to be so intimidating.

      Delete
  6. Loved reading this :D thanks for taking the challenge, if I can call it that haha ;)!
    I hope Mrs. Schlub will do something with her great voice :D
    Walter White is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling her to, she had a great voice.

      Walter white is so awesome. Even thought he is a drug dealer lol.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing your answers...I wouldn't have pegged you for a Taylor Swift kind of guy!! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I've got some surprises up my sleeves I guess.

      Delete
  8. Shake it up is so catchy, I don't blame you at all. The Transvulcania race sounds crazy awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See everyone gets it, glad I'm not the only one.

      Yeah Transvulcania is awesome, the organizers do a great job of getting coverage on it so I like to watch past years races.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!