Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, November 3, 2014

Mrs. Schlub PR & Trail Race Scouting Recap

Mrs Schlub nails the half marathon PR!!!

Huge accomplishment for Mrs Schlub.  Today she was running in her second career half marathon.  Her first half marathon was back in March where she ran into some tough elements and physical ailments that really made for a tough day.  In the end she finished and was the first of the two of us to finish 13 miles.  Today was her redemption run and she absolutely killed this run.  She ended up beating her time by about 15 minutes which is HUGE in terms of running time.  As I've always said, I get more satisfaction from seeing her cross that finish line than when I cross in my own races.  She did amazing and I was glad I could see her dominate the course today.

Trail Race Scouting Recap.....

Many of you know that one week from today I am running in my very first trail race event.  Last Saturday I went out to the race location to get in some miles but ended up running out of time and running half the course.  So yesterday I went back out again with the intention of running the whole 13 mile course to see what I had in store on race day.  Here are my take aways...

1) Holy Mountain - So the course ends with a huge climb in the last three miles.  This damn climb after 10 miles of running is definitely an ass kicker.  This thing is 500 feet of elevation gain which is pretty much straight up!!  My initial thoughts were very confident with the intention of having an advantage here, but that quickly turned to basic survival lol.  More than once I was subject to either power hiking or stop and take a break.  This had me reconsidering my plan for the race.

2) Dont Fall - About mile 12 I had just finished a good little climb and I knew I want coming up to the final mountain.  There was a small decline and I took my eyes of the trail for two servings.  BAM!!! Face plant into the trail.  I popped right back up to make sure nobody saw...lol...and kept right on going.  No major injuries but some road rash on my shoulder.  My ego was bruised the worst lol.

3) Getting Lost - Yup it happened!!  The beginning of the course is on flat runnable trail and about mile 3 the course drops down into the sandy wash trail. Well I didn't watch where I was going and ended up running about a mile in the wrong direction.  I had to turn around and back track to the trail to find the trail markings again.  Overall my watch had me running an extra two miles.  With the added running in the wash, it really impacted my legs so I'll have to pay closer attention on race day.

4) Sand Wasnt Bad - the course has you running about the miles of the sandy wash which if really intended to do a number on your legs.  Well I'm not so worried about this section, I think I handled it pretty well on Saturday.  Even with the extra miles, I was clicking away at about 9 min/mile and it felt comfortable and maintainable.  I should be able to hold pace with everyone through this section.

5) Mrs. Schlub it's the Best - After getting my butt kicked up and down that mountain, I came home to a nice warm filling breakfast.  This was exactly what I need after this tough run.  She takes care of me so well lol.


My Plan - I came out strong in this run to get a true feel of just how hard I could push it for the 13 miles.  The extra two miles certainly didn't help at all, but in the end the mountain was a monster no matter what.  So my plan is to come out strong, hold a tough pace to the end, and hope I can power hike up the mountain for a good finish.

Trail is 10 miles of rolling trail including 3 miles of sand.  Finished with 500 feet of mountain straight up and down, how would you game plan for this???

15 comments:

  1. My game plan would be to curl up in a ball and refuse to leave my bed on race morning! 500 feet straight up??? I can't even really wrap my brain around that!

    Way to go get that PR, Mrs! 15 minutes is crazy!!! So awesome! I think she should write up a recap about it on the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is Sage recently ran the 2014 Les Templiers in France which has over 11000 feet of climbing lol....WHAT?!?!

      I'm trying to talk her into a guest post :)

      Delete
    2. Ah I know! Go Sage! He's no longer "that fast road marathoner guy who is trying to run ultras!"

      Did you check out his new video yet? I'm thinking about renting it from Vimeo.

      Delete
    3. OK, what is the new video?

      Delete
    4. That's funny, I was just telling the wife last night about it. I'll more than likely end up watching it, I have lived the trailers so far.

      Sage produced a movie titled Mut Runner which is a documentary of the sport of mountain, ultra, trail running. He sends to have tons of running footage and interviews with many of the world's top ultra runners. Seems really cool.

      Delete
  2. Look at that evil climb at the end lol WT heck lol Congrats to Mrs.S!!!! Great job, I know it feels so good to have a fun race! Okay, the trail run, I think I would be torn between tearing up the 10 miles as hard as I could and power walk/run that section or just trying to maintain whatever your threshold steady pace if for that distance. You will have a great day no matter what! You are well prepared :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evil climb doesn't even begin to describe it lol

      Thanks for the advice, I hope your right about being prepared :)

      Delete
  3. So my number one take away from trail races vs. road races is that you can't really compare paces/times. You have to go by effort. Trail times are WAY slower--it is the nature of the beast. I also notice that MOST runners in the longer trail races power hike up inclines, even smaller ones. At least the mountain is at the end--use what you have left!! You will do great, and the course will be marked on race day! You've got this!
    Congrats to the MRS.!! 15 minutes is HUGE!!! So great that you can enjoy this sport together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, there are huge differences between my road times and my trail times.

      I'm hoping to climb real strong then hold on during the massive climb at the end.

      Mrs. Schlub is awesome, totally dominated her run.

      Delete
  4. Congrats to your wife!!! That is awesome that she had such a great redemption race!

    That trail race sounds so fun. I echo what Cheryl said about pace and effort :) I really liked running on sand at my 50K - it was easier on my feet/joints. For a HM? Get that out of there! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a true redemption run, tough run then come back and kick the next ones butt.

      Yeah the director must be laughing at that sick joke, sand and a massive climb, really????

      Delete
  5. Roll the flats at whatever pace is your plan. I like easing up just a smidge before big climbs. On that last climb just go for broke. My key to hills is finding a steady pace that is on the fringe of too fast. Too slow and, well, you're going too slow in a race. But too fast, you will end up stopping and having an erratic pace to the point where it would have been faster to go slower. If this means power hiking so be it. Just keep it steady. Given it ends on a downhill, you should be basically spent, then just bomb the hill and hope you don't fall! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very good point Mr Hall, just make it to the top then bomb all the way down. Hope I don't have jello legs and end up eating rocks lol

      Delete
  6. Woohoo! Congrats to Mrs. Schlub on a huge PR!!

    The course for your race sounds tough, but I know you can do it! I love scouting courses - it always helps me mentally on race day. When you're tackling that mountain during the final 3 miles just tell yourself everyone is facing the same challenge, and are you tougher than the ones around you? I bet it will help give you a boost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huge PR is right, wish I could knock off 15 min.

      Sitting the trail definitely has me more prepared, I'm glad I went out and looked it over. Concern is the voice in my head saying "your not as tough as everyone else" lol

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!