Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Let The Training Begin

Thanks for everyone's suggestions yesterday, all the comments I received were great advice and helpful tips.  Now the key will be to follow the suggestions, and slowly build to where I want to be so I avoid injuries.

After the thrashing I took at the trail race, I decided to take a week off to rest up and pretty much just get my bearings back together.  I had a few jogs that were around a mile and some bike riding but nothing with moderate effort.  My first real runs came Monday and Tuesday out on the trails in amazing weather.  I apologize to everyone dealing with tough weather, but we are having some amazing weather here in AZ these days.  Okay maybe I'm rubbing it in just a little bit lol.

I put in a pretty good effort on both runs and feel really good about how my legs are feeling after the long week off.



Also, I completed my first night of strength training last night.  I was surprised I remembered, then laughed at myself as I seem to have little to no strength in my body.  I've decided to ease into this and went with a full body work out.  I even threw in some planks and was able to hold it for 60 seconds.  Who would of thought?


How do you jump back into running after a long rest period?  Anything specific you do to get your body back in the swing of things?


8 comments:

  1. That elevation gain is SERIOUS! Comparatively, I ran three miles last night, went over a bridge twice, and only netted 13 feet of elevation gain!!! hah! How is it possible to have 800+ feet of gain in less than three miles? That blows my mind! My legs are sore just thinking about it!

    I find planking isn't too bad when I put on a rap song and distract myself by trying to rap along without saying the truly offensive parts while holding the plank! There's a little pro tip for ya, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the elevation is good, I need to build up to about 1500 for my next race.

      Those planks are agony right now so I'll take all the tips I can get lol

      Delete
  2. wooho! work those planks :) It looks like you are doing a great job easing into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying too, haven't done anything with weights in a while so I don't want to over do it.

      Delete
  3. I think you said it correct--"Ease into it!!"
    I will be REALLY jealous of your weather in February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to remember that in the next couple weeks lol

      Yes you will, I'll make sure to take plenty of pics :)

      Delete
  4. I jump back into running slowly after a long break. I have to make sure to build my mileage gradually so my shins don't get angry with me. Glad y'all are having some great weather - take advantage of it! It actually got into the low 50's here yesterday, which was nice, but this morning we had a heavy frost and I don't think it's going to get much above freezing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive gotten back into things pretty well no injuries and the legs are feeling great.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!