Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Friday, October 31, 2014

Thursday Training Run and Even a New Route

Thursday morning had me seeking a new running route and now I have a new course to add into my rotation.  I was scheduled for a training seminar out of the office so I couldn’t run the mountain near my work.  So I ended up running at a location that often hosts running events which I’ve participated in, but never used as a training location.  I was very surprised because the location actually provides a lot of elements that are going to help me in my upcoming race.

For those of you near an ocean don’t laugh but we call this location our Beach Park which is a community park running up and down a manmade lake.  I snapped a few shots of the area which is really beautiful this early in the morning.




So how does this location prepare me for a 13 mile trail run???

Number 1:  The running paths up and down the lake are paved but also have hard packed dirt trails.  This is going to make up a majority of the trail race terrain so running on dirt/gravel as much as possible will prepare me more than running on sidewalks/roads.  Also, for some reason I just feel like I run faster on dirt, no idea why it just happens that way.

Number 2: The beach park has a series of sand volley ball courts that are used for volleyball tournaments and sand soccer tournaments.  Well another 1/3 of my trail race is going to be deep sandy river washes so again helping me prepare for the trail race.  I don’t know if there is a technique to running through it but I feel okay when I’m running through the sand.  I really try to run light and just skip across the sand so that I’m not digging in each time I make a step.

Number 3: Near the beach park is a preserve that is basically a 300 ft mountain that runs straight up and down.  I swear this thing has a 40% incline, it felt like I was running up a wall.  As the trail race will finish with a huge climb, I felt it was good to recreate that with a flat run then up and down this peak.

Overall I felt good about the run, it was moderate effort so no real concern about pace but my legs felt great throughout the run, felt great after the climb, and feel great today.  We are getting closer to race day but I’m feeling confident at this point.

So those of you by the beach, do you laugh at the rest of us that don’t have beautiful beach and ocean views??  It’s ok you can tell us!!!

10 comments:

  1. I think I have a case of the grass always being greener because I love my beach but am totally jealous of everyone who lives near mountains! I have this idea in the back of my head that if I lived near mountains I would already be an awesome ultrarunner because I would just never leave the trails! ;)

    Hopefully the sand will be packed hard for you during the race! Running on soft sand makes us stronger but it's not fair in a race! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I think we all do that, ocean in Florida, mountains in Colorado...wish I had them all.

      Yeah it wasn't packet down on Saturday so I'm planning for it to be tough to run through.

      Delete
  2. The lights reflecting off the lake look beautiful. It is different than an "ocean" beach, but even those are all different! I think getting the opportunity to run in different settings is what makes it fun.
    Sandy areas in a race--OUCH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it looks great early in the morning. Changing up your route is definitely a boost So you don't get used to everything.

      Yeah the sand is going to suck lol.

      Delete
  3. I was at the ocean yesterday but the tide was high and there was so much kelp on the beach that I couldn't run! Ha ha! So I guess you make the best of what you've got. That's beautiful and sounds like a great training area~ You'll be strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah just rub it in "to much keep to run in the beach" blah blah lol

      Not feeling so strong after Saturdays run, post coming.

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow. That looks like a really pretty place to run in the morning! I love the lights on the water like that. Glad you were able to get in some good preparation for your trail race at this new running location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll run there more often now.

      Not sure I'm as prepared as I need to be, Saturdays run was rough.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an amazing place to run! :) And it looks pretty great too, I love the world when it's dark (couldn't find a better way to say that haha omg, but you know what I mean).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha that's funny, I do a lot of running before sunrise and after sunset so I know exactly what you mean. There is a lot of peace and solitude that comes with running under the stars.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!