Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, October 20, 2014

Saturday Long Run & The Color

Saturday turned out to be a duel run day.  I was discussing my weekly mileage with Mrs. Schlub and realized I was going to be well short of where I like to be, so I decided to get in a long run early in the morning before we headed to The Color Dash.

I opted for a half marathon and for some reason I decided to get after it pretty hard and was shooting for a sub 2 hour half marathon.  I can’t be upset about destroying my previous half marathon PR but my legs were not happy when we went to our race later that morning.


My previous half marathon PR was 2:01 so this was a pretty solid run to beat that by more than 12 minutes.  I felt strong all the way through the run and kept my splits pretty consistent.  Even at mile 6 when the climbing is really noticeable and my walking pit stop at 6.5 miles.  Again, extremely happy about the outcome but did not bode well for our race.

Mrs. Schlub found a Groupon for The Color Dash which made it pretty cheap, we had never done a fun run like this before, plus a lot of our friends were running, so we signed up.  Packet pickup was the day before and the race provided cotton Color Dash shirt, a keepsake race bib, and a packet of color powder.  We got to the park about an hour before the race started and it was already hot.  We had a lot of fun with the powder packets as we made sure everyone in our group had plenty of color to start the race.




As we neared the start time the race announcer started his introductions and dedications which pushed the race back about 10 or 15 minutes.  As we were finally going to start, the DJ advised the crowd that they were going to send the group out in waves to break everyone up.  Oh Great!!  We ended up in the third wave which put us behind a lot of traffic.  We didn’t plan on running the race competitively as it wasn’t chip timed and we planned to just have fun during the run, but there were a lot of walkers and strollers.  The course was a double loop 5K which ended up being about 2.80 miles LOL, not sure if that was just flexible route planning or we cut a lot of corners but it wasn’t quite the 5K we were expecting.


In the end it was a fun run but Mrs. Schlub and I agreed that this would be our first AND last Color Dash.  The powder does not mesh well with water and sweat plus it took a good scrubbing to get it off my skin when I got home.

Have you ever done a Color Dash?  What were your thoughts on the event?

18 comments:

  1. Congrats on that huge half marathon PR!!!! I guess everyone was right that training for a full marathon would definitely make us faster at shorter distances!

    I've never done a Color Dash but I did The Color Run and that course was 2.8 something miles too! I also did a Color Me Rad and thought that was really fun and the course was the full 3.1 miles -- it was around Sunlife Stadium where the Dolphins play so that was kind of cool. I don't think I'll do another color run anytime soon either though -- too many kids all over the place for me! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! After running 20 miles, 13 felt like a recovery run lol.

      Ah now around the stadium would be cool. It was a fun run overall I just wouldn't do it again :).

      Delete
  2. Congratulations re: your pb for the half marathon!! That's awesome!! Are you glad you have done the colour run and now it can 'ticked off' and put to bed, as it sounds like perhaps not as much fun as it sounds? What with the late start and the hard-to-get-off-colours? I would be tempted though, just circumstance has prevailed that there's been no race near me at the time to enter.... Congrats to you and Mrs Schlub, it looked fun all the same! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was fun, yeah we can mark it if the list, but no plans to do another.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the strong PR half :) Very impressive you can hold that pace on elevation like that! I am not a color run fan either...I don't like the powder runs, I actually don't like mud runs either. I would like to do the electric run and have lights and glow stuff , but they can keep the powder! Always good to try something new though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm hoping the elevation well really pay if on some of the flatter courses we run.

      We did a night run with glow sticks and that was pretty fun, but I agree 100%, keep the powder lol.

      Delete
  4. I have never done a color run. I wouldn't unless it was with the kids. The sweat is enough "mess" for me for a run!
    Great job on the 1/2!
    I think you are too competitive for the "fun runs"!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right, sweat + color powder = HUGE mess lol.

      Have you been taking to Mrs Schlub, I have to agree that I'm probably too competitive for a leisurely non timed run :).

      Delete
  5. wow, more than 12 minutes off! Nice job! I always wondered about the color races....But I'm too neat for those I think! Ha ha ha....it would bug me :) Nice to see your posts again.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really good training run.

      The mess was annoying but I think the non chip timed was the worse. As Cheryl said earlier I'm way too competitive for a run like that lol

      Delete
  6. I haven't done a color run, mainly because there's not been one near my house when I was home. Two of my friends ran one put on by a local high school and they said it was pretty "non-colorful." HaHa! They said the spectators just weren't into it. I guess that either makes or breaks the event!

    Way to rock your half marathon PR. That's a great training run time. Way to push yourself out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think it's a very niche running event much like Spartan and obstacle runs. Just not my niche lol.

      It really was a great training run. Need to build on that too bring my times down.

      Delete
  7. Wow you crushed that half marathon! Way to PR while running solo - it's hard to push yourself without having others around you. I have done a color run before, and I had the same opinion as you and Mrs Schlub at the end of it. One and done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs schlub and I just talked about solo runs vs races. I prefer races because it's easier to hold pace and get pulled along the course. Plus the competition is just cool lol.

      Yeah color dash was fun, it's out of our system, on to other events.

      Delete
  8. Way to go on PRing! *clapping* :D
    Is that the same thing as "The Color Run"? Never done a race like that, but I wouldn't mind trying one. But not timed? That would annoy the blah out of me..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!

      I think it's similar. Fun to try and experience but I agree, the lack of timing was a but annoying. Then again I'm probably a bit too competitive lol.

      Delete
  9. Wow, fast 13.1!!!! Gotta get you out on a flat race course and see what you can do! Woo hoo!

    I am happy you did that race for cheap, since it was kind of meh! I haven't tried one. ;) I don't think I would care for it too much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering the same thing, should be able to throw down a good time on a flat course.

      I would agree, lots of people seemed to be having fun so it has a following, just not my cup of tea lol.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!