Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, October 27, 2014

Major Concerns and Huge Running News

So the big news...



Today I am officially signing up for my first ever Trail Race!!!

But I’ll cover that in a few.

What had me so concerned?  I thought I was back to having ITB issues!!  I had a good strong run on Tuesday running/climbing the mountain before work.  Took Wednesday off and I think Thursday is what had my ITB screaming.  I woke up early and hit the treadmill rather than climbing the mountain before work.  I thought I could get some extra miles in since it was on the treadmill.  Well it was just dreadful, I keep trying to get used to the treadmill but it just isn’t happening.  Kudos to those of you that can do long runs on the treadmill, it’s just not my thing lol.



Throughout the day my ITB was tight and I was massaging it constantly.  Well the genius I am, I decided to take Buster out for like a 4 mile bike ride later that night.  So as of Friday I was a nervous wreck, first I thought I was back to ITB issues which is not anything I wanted to go through again, and second what did this mean for the first ever trail race that I wanted to sign up for.  So Friday was a full day off from running which consisted of massaging and full on stretching the old ITB.

I woke up Saturday morning and my ITB was feeling okay.  I think mentally I was so worried about it that I was making myself feel little pulls and tightness.  With great apprehension, I headed out to the trail where my upcoming trail race is being held to scout the trails but also to see how my leg was feeling.

I hit the trail about 5:15am in complete darkness.  I decided to start the run walking/hiking just to stretch my legs plus it was completely dark and I was worried about wild animal’s lol.  About 2 miles in my legs felt good so I slowly started to jog some of the downhill sections.  As the run progressed my leg continued to feel better and better so I was able to really open up the run and ended up running just over 9 miles.  I can’t tell you the sigh of relief I had in the car as I was driving home with no ITB pain.

Good news there, but enough with that nonsense.  I am full on excited to be signing up for my first ever trail race.  Typically, I get nervous as I’m toeing the line at most races but this race has me at a whole new level of nervous.  I’m so excited that at times my stomach is churning with butterflies and I’m still 13 days away lol.  The organizer is called Xterra and the race is a part of the Arizona Trail Run Series.  The race is a 13.1 mile trail race that is a single loop around one of the regional parks in the area.  From what I was able to cover this weekend, I see the race being 1/3 nice rolling trail, 1/3 deep sandy wash, and the final 1/3 a massive mountain climb in the last 3 miles.  My plan is to have a steady week, then this upcoming Saturday go out to the trail again and cover the full 13 miles to see what I have in store.  That will give me about a week to get in some recovery runs, rest days, and be ready for the race.  This is going to be a rough 13 days because I’m ready to race right now lol.



Do you remember a race that you were so excited for that you were a nervous wreck weeks or months away?  I’m sure most first time marathons provide the exact same feeling

16 comments:

  1. OMG that satan's sidewalk picture is hilarious! It's not *that* bad ... I especially like the part where it's usually in an air conditioned room!

    That's AWESOME that you're signed up for a trail race! I'm jealous! I bet that climb at the end will be your favorite and you'll get to pass a lot of people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was awesome when I found it and yes ITS THAT BAD lol

      I cant wait, I'm a nervous wreck now and I'm sure I'll be worse as it gets closer but I really am excited.

      Delete
  2. ha ha, satan's sidewalk! so true, at least for me! awesome news on the sign up and I hope the ITB isn't a problem. a trail race this time of year sounds perfect! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes some strong will power to run medium to long runs on that thing.

      ITB seems ok after some rest and stretching so things are looking good.

      Yeah the weather has been perfect so it will just be a matter of showing up on race day lol.

      Delete
  3. A trail race is exciting--you will do great! They are a different kind of intense! You are going to pass a lot of people on that climb! A lot of people walk the climbs in trail running--don't be afraid to power hike it! At least it is at the end, and you don't need to worry about saving anything for the rest of the race.
    Oh, no. Now I have a new nickname for my dreadmill...
    Roll out your ITB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have your BQ to give me some added support :).

      Yeah dreadmill was my name for it as well, but I'm definitely calling it Satan's Sidewalk from now on lol.

      ITB seems to be good after some rest and stretching.

      Delete
  4. Very cool! I've yet to do a trail race. Good luck to you! I really hope you got that ITB in check, I know what a pain it can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on man, you got to jump on the band wagon with as many trail runs you do for training.

      ITB seems to be ok, had a few days off and I've been stretching so we are looking good the past couple days.

      Delete
  5. I was having some IT band tightness with all my hip crap. My physical therapist (who also cares for Anton Krupicka, Emma Coburn....) said that rolling the IT band can actually make it worse. He said focus more on stretching the glutes, this has worked very well for me. Try this stretch: http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2008/06/26/stretch5-480-90-480-70.jpg
    It worked really well for me to the point where I could feel immediate relief. The other thing he said was to do a lunge matrix before you run. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K_CiRml-vQ. Jay Johnson is a guy who is worth following for other running info. I honestly like no running more than treadmill running. Never gone longer than 10 minutes before getting frustrated and quitting. Pool running is even a bit more enjoyable if only because you know it is so good for you.

    Arizona seems to have some mighty fine races going on down there, along with some good trails. I'd like to make a trip out to the desert sometime next spring. You ever try running any of the Grand Canyon? Not sure if its convenient to get there for you, but it would be cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huge help Cordis. Back when I had major issues I was icing and rolling, both of which seemed to make it worse. I started to get relief when I started stretching after runs and when I started to do lunges a few times throughout the day. As of today ITB seems to be ok and I just need to keep stretching.

      Arizona has some great trail races, i hope this is the first of many for me. I have not run the Grand Canyon, I have only been running trails for about 6 months but it is definitely on my To Do list. Its quite a drive for me but It would be worth it.

      Delete
  6. I am always a nervous mess before races, any race lol I have a trail race hopefully in the spring. I have never done one on trail but I run on trail often. The only event on trail I did was a 4 miler. I hope your IT band stops being cranky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah another first time trail racer, cant wait for you to try it out.

      ITB seems to be a lot happier the last couple days :).

      Delete
  7. Yikes! Glad the IT Band pain has subsided. It's an awful feeling when you think an injury has returned. But that's really exciting news about your first trail race! They're definitely a different realm from road races, but they're so much fun. The atmosphere at a trail race is really cool, too, and in my experience other runners are really nice.

    Hmmm?? Last race I was nervous for weeks in advance? Definitely the Marine Corps Marathon. The wait was worth it, though! It was an awesome race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how worried I was then how relieved I was, take off two world's.

      I can't wait for the trail race, 1 week away, I can't believe it.

      I could totally see Marine Corps being a can't wait race.

      Delete
  8. I hope your IT Band is continuing to feel well! I know what you mean about long runs on the treadmill, but I had to do several 20 milers on a treadmill one winter while training for Boston. Here in Virginia's snowy/icy winters sometimes it's a choice between running on a treadmill, or not running at all. I like running in a little snow, but not ice!

    I ran an Xterra trail race last spring. They did a great job, and I'm considering running a few more from their trail series this spring. They have both a spring and a fall series near where I live. Based on when you wrote this, I'm wondering if the race just might have been this past weekend! Either way, good luck; or I hope you had a blast! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT Band has been feeling great. Wow 20 miles, that is insane.

      Yeah the Xterra group did a great job. Although up didn't feel like any after, they had a huge spread if food which was awesome.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!