Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Monday, July 21, 2014

Weeky Training Recap 7/13 - 7/19

I really like weekly recaps.  I like reading other runner's recaps and I like writing my own because it gives me a good idea of how the week went.  I really do cheer everyone on and try to give sound advise if anyone had a down week.  I think last week was a really solid week for me and I'm happy with my progress at this point.

Weekly Miles:

7/13/14: Planned - 3 miles     Actual - Rest Day     Elevation Gain - 0 ft
Ran 8 miles the day before with the local running group and was suppose to meet up with them again for a fun run at one of the running stores.  Well sleeping in sounded real good so I took advantage and got some extra rest.

7/14/14: Planned - 3 miles     Actual - 2.5 miles     Elevation Gain - 29 ft
This was a simple recovery run just to get out and stretch my legs.  Well Buster and I came out stronger than we wanted and ended up gassing out after the first mile.  Ended up walking/jogging all the way back home.

7/15/14: Planned - 8 miles     Actual - 8.10 miles     Elevation Gain - 1,101 ft
Normal Tuesday run, hit the trail before work to get some hill work done.  The thing I really enjoyed about this run was pausing at the midpoint and just sitting to enjoy the sounds of the outdoors.  It was really peaceful and settling.  I don't meditate but I'm assuming that was the closest thing I've done.

7/16/14: Planned - Rest Day     Actual - Rest Day     Elevation Gain - 0 ft
Regular rest day.  I should probably start using that day for strength training or something like that.  Who am I kidding, I hate strength training lol so I doubt it.

7/17/14: Planned - 3-4 miles     Actual - 2.66 miles     Elevation Gain - 13 ft
Mrs Schlub and I hit our local running store for their fun run and raffle event.  Run was pretty tough as the check points were not ideal but got back to the store and relaxed with a cold beer.  Oh yeah and Mrs Schlub won a free pair of Asics, you cant beat that right there.

7/18/14: Planned - Rest Day     Actual - Rest Day     Elevation Gain - 0 ft
I knew I had a long run planned for Saturday so I took the day off to rest my legs.  Turned out to be a wise choice.

7/19/14: Planned - 15 miles     Actual - 15 miles     Elevation Gain - 148 ft
Yeah we covered this, epic run.  Although I'm still sore as of today lol.

Totals:     28.27 miles     1,291 ft elevation gain

I'll have to look back at my run log but I think I'm still chasing my first 30+ miles week.  I had two high points for the week.  Running with Mrs. Schlub and her winning shoes, then of course throwing down 15 miles.  At this point I will be taking a lot of your suggestions and start adding in some speed work to my training plan.  I know that sub 2 hours for the half marathon is a real possibility but I'd like to get down to around the 1:45 range, so we will see.

What does everyone do to get pumped up for long runs or speedwork?  Are you naturally pumped up and excited or do you need some extra motivation to get out the door??

10 comments:

  1. I am naturally pumped for long runs. I LOVE doing them! I get nervous to do speed work. I think I'm worried I'll vomit, not be able to go fast enough, and of course, that it will be HARD! lol. Great job on your week of training!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like speed work is a tough task for everyone. It's been absent from my plan for a few months but I know I need to start again.

      Delete
  2. Yesterday my right hip was sore and tight ALL DAY LONG from the 15-miler! Today I'm finally feeling back to normal. Have you been doing lots of stretching? I sort of stopped doing it for a while, which was a bad idea. I'm definitely back to stretching (esp. my hip flexors) after tough runs!

    I can always get out the door for a long run, speedwork day on the other hand requires some extra motivation. I usually have to read through some running blog posts first! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had a very humbling speed work session...the local running club meets Tuesdays at the track--so my motivation is meeting people there. My husband goes too, and he is MUCH better than me about getting up--Oh yeah, it meets at 6am!! I often feel like before I wake up I am at the track! I get help with the long runs with listening to a podcast...
    My legs have been tired lately too. I took the girls to the beach last night to stand in the water and "ICE" (it was 60*). We literally timed our water time (It felt that cold, because the air temp was about 78...). It turned out to be great fun, because we were trying not to get completely wet--needless to say we got soaked and tossed by waves. It felt GREAT on tired legs.

    Try and stick with the strengthening and stretching...It will help with the mileage increasing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah waking up early when your not used to it is tough. Oh wow ocean water would of been awesome after my 15 miles.

      This is helpful, thanks coach. I've slacked on stretching and strengthening so I need to get back on that.

      Delete
  4. Great mileage!! Your 15 miles was pretty epic :) I still have yet to hit that mark...winter goals :) You are already pretty speedy! A sub 2 hr. iis a very reasonable goal for you, I would probably die trying lol I do like the treadmill for my speed work, it's so easy to pick the pace and make yourself do it, outside speed work for is always a little more challenging, but last year I was able to hit my 10K sub 59 goal doing most of the work on the treadmill. I did intervals for a long time- started at 3 min. and worked my way up to 7 min. Then I started progression 4 mile runs and that was so challenging, but it 's what worked and made me able to push for that long. You just have to find what works for you. I still say running mountains is your best speed work for a flat course ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm holding you to that winter goal, 15 miles. I'm impressed by anyone who does a good amount of work on the treadmill, I just can't do it. I agree, mountains are a huge help and I'm sticking with them lol

      Delete
  5. I like the challenge of speed work and I like the improvements I see from doing them. I think that's what motivates me the most

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol your one of the few that looks forward to speed work. Although I agree that the outcome from it is a definite confidence booster.

      Delete
  6. Great week! Usually, to get pumped up for long runs or speed workouts I'll think about how awesome the feeling of accomplishment is when I finish one of these workouts. I also like to think about the goal I'm aiming towards.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!