Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Wedding Time BUT... It's A New PR Baby!!

I know we are two days away from THE BIG DAY, but I was off today and I figured this would be the last run for the next few days.  I know I'm also going to catch some heat for posting (Thanks Cheryl), but hey this is a PR and that needs to be celebrated right??

Met up with the local running group early this morning.  I've never run with them on a Thursday so I wasnt sure about pace and distance.  The plan was an out and back 5 mile run.  Well when we got to the 2.5 mile mark, my legs felt good and I told the group I was going to keep on going. 

The plan was to get to the 5 mile mark then turn around giving me 10 miles on the day.  Hit the 5 mile mark at about 45 min, walked for a bit so I could hydrate and take my Clif Shot, figured this was good practice for walking through an aid station.  As I was coming back the plan was to hit the 10 mile mark and see how my legs felt.

If you dont know where this is going by now, I passed the 10 mile mark and went for the half marathon.  Around the 8th mile I got it in my head that I was going after the half marathon and started pushing for that mark.

Results:  13.10 miles, 2:01:45 total time, 9:18 pace.

I really felt like I dominated this run and at the same time I feel like I missed out on sub two hours.  Of course, huge improvement from my trail half marathon a few weeks ago (damn mountains lol).

I know it's wedding time, BUT I got back home before anyone else was awake and I was so pumped for the PR that I had to jump on and share with all of you.

When was the last time you were mid run, your legs felt great, so you went after some longer miles??

24 comments:

  1. NICE JOB! That is awesome! Man, I love those runs where you could go forever! I had one like that this fall that turned in to a 13.1 too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the best. Definitely a nice surprise while your out there running.

      Delete
  2. CONGRATS!! What a way to start the wedding weekend!!
    (p.s. Check out my blog--I nominated you for a lil somethin') :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too.

      Thank you so much for the mention and nomination!!

      Delete
  3. AWESOME!!! Way to go! I agree with Helly, this was the perfect way to kick off your wedding weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that same thing as I was trying to catch my breath and walk without a limp lol.

      Delete
  4. FANTASTIC JOB!! That is a killer time and I agree with Helly...what a great way to start the weekend! (And I also agree with Helly on the "check my blog" front...you're a popular guy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Didnt know if it was a good time or not, I just know it was soooooo much better than my last half marathon lol.

      Thank you so much for the mention and nomination, i really appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. Great run! Now go enjoy your wedding!!! We will still be here (waiting for pictures...)
    Most of my runs that were made longer were due to getting lost...
    Congratulations to you and the MRS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey running is a part of our lives now, nothing wrong with including that in our wedding activities right???

      Delete
  6. Sweet! I love those days where you can just feel awesome. I'm in a habit of biting off more than I can chew as is, so rarely do I get back feeling like I want more haha. Have fun at the wedding and don't forget to wear shorts so that you can show off your sculpted running legs in all the wedding pictures!!! Though I take no blame if Mrs Schlub gets angry at the shorts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, Ive had my fair share of biting off more than I can chew.

      I couldnt stop laughing at the "wear shorts" comment lol. Mrs Schlub would have killed me if I wore shorts with my tux lol.

      Delete
  7. Google keep eating my comments...ugh!!! I tried to tell you awesome time!!! A two hour is something you should shoot for on a flat course for sure, I know you can do it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is what I'll shoot for when we have some half marathons coming up later this year.

      Delete
  8. Great job on your run! I can't to see pictures of the wedding!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic job on getting a PR in the half! There's nothing better than heading out for a run and feeling better than expected and just going for it.

    Hope you're having a wonderful wedding weekend! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesnt happen oftern but I agree, there is nothing better than your body feeling better than expected and knocking out a great run.

      Delete
  10. Yo yo! Congrats all around! Congrats on the PR and the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I am leaving you another comment lol I hope you and the Mrs. had a great weekend! Congratulations :) Post some pics!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, great weekend. Post coming shortly.

      Delete
  12. Congrats on the PR!! You'll have sub-2 before long, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, we have some half marathon races coming up so Ill be getting after it.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!