Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Remembering My Timeline of Running

Earlier today I was reading my normal list of fellow blogger posts and I came across a comment that really got me thinking about my running timeline.  Kristina over at Blog About Running posted how she went out for an "easy" five mile run.  Well in the comments, Ali over at Hit the Ground Running mentioned how back in the day an "easy" run was laughable and 5 miles seemed impossible.

She is 100% right.  I remember by first couple runs, not knowing a whole lot about distance running, where I would go out as hard as I could and gas myself out after 1 mile.  The whole time thinking I use to do this back in the day for so many sports that this should be so much easier.  Then slowly transitioning to 5K training and the whole point was to complete the 3 miles.  There were training runs where I maxed out at 2 and 2.5 miles with nothing left in the tank and I was left wondering if I would be walking on race day.

I had to laugh because 2 weeks ago Mrs Schlub and I went out with her running group and I paced her for 6 miles.  Last week before the wedding I went out on a planned 10 mile run and ended up completing 13.1 miles.  Then this week, Tuesday and today I went out for a nice trail run and easily completed 8 miles.  Heck I've even started to look at all the mountain ranges around Arizona and put a list together of all the summits I want to hit.

For me personally, I train hard for races and shoot for personal records but forget to celebrate the journey to this point.  I have had a lot of ups and downs along my running timeline, especially a two month battle with ITB issues that pretty much eliminated all running.  But at the end of the day, it has been a great adventure so far, so many great runs, some amazing scenery, and so many more adventures to come. 

Thank you to my fellow bloggers that let me follow your running journeys, it is very inspiring and has helped me through a lot of challenges.  Thank you for following my journey, all the comments and feedback have been hugely helpful.  Running has become a passion of mine and I definitely see it being a part of our lives for as long as we can lace up our shoes. 

What are some examples of running events you felt were impossible, and as you have progressed it has become easy for you now.

- Mine is easy, I use to think anything over 3 miles was impossible.  These days an 8 mile trail run with 1400 feet of elevation gain feels really good and I can even make it through a full days work after.  Crazy!!

20 comments:

  1. When I first met my husband he suggested I train to do a 1/2 marathon with him which was 3 months later! :0 That was in 2009 and since then I've run 9 full marathons and 18 1/2 marathons...lol. I do remember, training wise, 10 miles being the big 'uh oh! I can't run that milestone.' But once I did, it felt great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is a ton of full and half marathons. I think we all have the double digit "uh oh" feeling.

      Delete
  2. I think the first time I ran double digits was a big moment, but it's all relative. What seems challenging is often a factor of my fitness and goals at the time. Right now, running a 'fast' 5k seems really challenge, but a long run doesn't. I kind of enjoy how the challenges are always changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I can see double digits being a milestone for all of us. I can see your point of view on challenging based on goals. Right now I'm building miles so Im sure a fast 5k would be tough for me too.

      Delete
  3. Yes!! It is so crazy to look back at our journey. We're usually so focused on the task ahead that we forget to appreciate how far our legs have taken us so far. You have a seriously impressive timeline. All of that elevation is just awesome! You are going to be a rockin ultrarunner soon, I know it!

    I remember being worried I wouldn't make it through the entire 5K my first time too. It kind of makes me chuckle a bit that 2 miles seemed REALLY hard back in the day.... but then again some days it kind of still feels that way, haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ultrarunner would be awesone, I was glued to the computer all weekend watching Kilian. I was just in AWE the whole time.

      Delete
  4. I think to me its just adding volume that I suppose surprises me. The fact that I can get up a mountain 3 or 4 times a week is awesome. A year ago I could do that once, but I couldn't deal with the cumulative fatigue that would come with sustaining it for weeks.

    I also agree with EB, that a fast 5k does sound really challenging. A 5k can be a brutal distance if you actually put your all out effort into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah your elevation gain these days should be surpising to anyone, you have been killing it.

      Yeah the 5k is tough, pretty much no room for error.

      Delete
  5. Totally agree! I still think 5ks are tough though--they're so speedy! But to think that tomorrow I have 8 miles scheduled and it's doable really makes it hit home how far I've come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree that 5k's are tough because there really is no room for error but I feel the same way. To think I am knocking out 8 miles like nothing is just crazy.

      Delete
  6. I love that I have been able to follow your journey. I look forward to seeing what my blogging buddies are posting, I know I have terribly boring for summer so I hope I will have some successes to share again when half training time rolls around. I struggled through months of hip pain and I remember still how hard it was for me to run a 5K w/o stopping, then it became about a sub 60 10K. Currently I just wish the humidity would go away so I could run again and feel good or I wish my body would take the heat a lil easier, but I am trying my best to adjust to the circumstances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey we come back and read for a reason so it couldnt be too boring. The heat is tough for all of us, I dont know anyone who says "sure do love running in that heat and humidity"

      Delete
  7. Isn't it amazing how you progress in running? I was just thinking the other day how I can just decide I'm going to go out and run 5 or 6 miles, and then I go do it without much difficulty. That doesn't mean it isn't without effort, but it's something I'm certainly capable of.

    I enjoy reading running blogs and watching people progress or meet new challenges. You've covered a lot of ground this spring and I look forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly the way I was thinking. I like to think Ive made some good strides but need to keep building towards my goals.

      Delete
  8. I will never forget in my first half marathon as we were waiting to start the full marathoners were running past us and it was their halfway point. I was looking at them and thinking how fresh faced they looked and how the heck did they just run 13.1 miles? And then in May I ran my full and at the halfway point I felt like I looked just like those people who amazed me so much last October. It's really funny how things shift/change the more you do it.

    Thank YOU for sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I had this same feeling when Mrs Schlub ran her half marathon. I was it stopping her and the lead marathoner came running past. I was in complete AWE. He was running strong and confident after 20 miles, it was crazy.

      Delete
  9. You have made so much progress! It's fun to look back at that... and to see it happening for our friends!

    I remember what a big deal my first 6 miler was. I was so nervous! Hee hee! Of course, after recovering from injuries, those distances become challenging again ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right, its been pretty interesting looking back over months of posts during this year.

      Yeah injury can definitely throw a monkey wrench into all your training.

      Delete
  10. Isn't it amazing how what once seemed impossible now seems easy? Running keeps getting that way!
    PS, I hear you met Helly. Lucky!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that trend continues. I hope some day the marathon seems easy lol.

      Yeah it was pretty cool running into her. I guess next I need to head out to Texas for some running and tacos. I dont need that yoga stuff lol.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!