Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Oh I'm Suppose To Be Running??

Let’s just get it out of the way right now, I have not run in two days.  I had a GREAT trail run on Sunday with our local running group.  New trails were fast, really scenic, and I was able to knock out 9 miles (Side note – It should have been ten but I seemed to be navigationally challenged that day lol).  Monday is typically a rest day for me but I “wanted” to get in a few miles, yeah that didn’t happen. 

Warning, stomach issues coming..

Something I ate during lunch or dinner did not agree with my stomach and I was feeling really bloated and crampy for the rest of the night.  The thought of running while my stomach had a beach ball in it just didn’t seem appealing.  Tuesday rolled around and I got my stuff ready for my trail run before work, yeah that didn’t happen. 

I was up until midnight Monday night with the discomfort that was in my stomach.  So waking up at 330 to hit the trails was not in the cards that day.  Slept until it was time to get ready and head to work.  Good thing is my stomach started to feel better throughout the day.  So as I missed my morning run, one would think that I would get in a run later that evening to make up for said missed run.  Well that would be completely wrong lol.  Mrs. Schlub and I actually started to do some wedding stuff and that was much more important than getting out for a few miles.

BTW….The tuxedos look awesome; the guys in this wedding are going to look goooooooood!!

So here we are, Wednesday, and I’m a whole 9 miles deep this week.  Funny thing is, I’m completely ok with how this week is going for some reason.  I think a lot of it has to do with my midyear review, noticing how many miles and elevation gain I logged last month, and pretty much letting myself take a recovery week.  I guess it also has something to do with that little event planned this weekend called our wedding lol. 

Either way, those of you out there that are slumping right now, know that you are not alone.  We can be slumping buddies. 


Does anyone else have weeks where they are slumping but they are completely ok with that?  Or do you have the re-assessment talk about “I’m getting back out there and turning this around" ??

18 comments:

  1. I think anyone would experience a little dip in mileage the week leading up to their wedding! Plus, like you said, a recovery week is just what we need sometimes.

    Just a couple more days to go until your big day! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha I guess your right. Yup just a few more days.

      Delete
  2. You should be slumping this week! I am surprised you are still posting...take the time off...enjoy the preparations and this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yeah I'm surprised she hasnt taken my computer, but hey I need to keep all my blogger friends updated.

      Delete
  3. LOL, even without the stomach issues, I think you get a break the week of your wedding! :) (ha ha, like everyone else said)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that seems to be the common view point lol.

      Delete
  4. I will be a slumping buddy with you. But really IT'S YOUR WEDDING WEEK!! You're allowed to take it easy! And you do realize you are going to need to post pics of these suits once you have them! I'm so excited for you to get married haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your injury heals up quick though.

      Yeah I'm sure we will have tons of pictures. I think it will be more about not posting too many pictures.

      Delete
  5. sign me up to be slump buddies!!! oh wait, i'm already there. meanwhile i've run exactly three times in the last four weeks. not that i'm counting. ok i am counting. and dwelling. and fretting. i just need to suck it up and get over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey we have to fight through tough times together right??

      You will turn this around, life happens and change things, but it all works out in the end.

      Delete
  6. I'm not slumping right now, but I applaud you for not letting a few missed days get you down. Your wedding takes precedence over running, and you will be able to resume it soon. Some days I feel like in a slump if the weather conditions create a hard run, but ideally I can rebound the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is why I have been cool with the minimal miles. Overall this will be a nice break before getting back at it next week.

      Delete
  7. I took two week sod low mileage after my first trail race. Sometimes we need it :)
    SO excited for your wedding this weekend!! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only does it do me good for the wedding, I think it will give me a good break and Ill be real anxious to run come the middle of next week.

      Delete
  8. You have a great attitude about a few missed days. In the long run (ha, see what I did there) they don't matter anyway. Plus it's your wedding week! A few missed miles are to be expected. There are more important things :) Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "In the long run"...good one lol.

      I am glad I tood the days off to focus on the wedding. Thing went great. Post coming shortly.

      Delete
  9. Sometimes you just have to let life happen and take a few days off. It's getting easier for me now...I just hate that you had to feel sick. I hate an upset tummy. I can't wait to see wedding pics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100%, I am getting better at it as well.

      Wedding pics coming soon :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!