Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Sunday, July 27, 2014

New Blog, Great Group Run, and Vacation

I have a new blog to follow and I think all of you should head over and take a read. 

Cheryl has been visiting and commenting on my blog for a while now and she always has great advice for a newbie runner like myself.  If I remember correctly she is a high school track coach so I figure any suggestions she has to offer have to work, I mean she is a coach lol.  If you get the chance head over to her blog Just 1 More Mile.

I had a tough endurance run on Thursday when I ran in the 109* heat.  So I had a rest day on Friday preparing for a long run on Saturday.  I didnt really have a distance set in my mind but since I ran 15 miles last week, 8 miles sounded pretty good.  Got out early and met up with my running group for a nice long group run.  Once again I ran into Helly from Helly on the Run.  Major cudos out to her for being an overachiever and throwing down 10 miles when the rest of us only put in 8 miles.  We had a great group during the run, everyone was chatting it up, we had a nice steady pace going, and I didn't start to feel the miles until we were pretty much done.  It always feels great when you knock out a good number of miles and you look at your watch to see 7am lol.

Lastly, the family and I are headed out of town later this week for a little vacation.  We absolutely love the weather here in town (very sarcastic) but it will be nice to have a little temperature change.

In town:
Vacation:

Ok maybe not a HUGE temperature change but here in AZ we will take all the degrees we can get.  Heading out of town should provide plenty of opportunities for fishing, hiking, and everything outdoors.  Can't wait to share all the photos with all of you.

When you head out for vacation, do you prefer populated cities or the great outdoors??

14 comments:

  1. My runs on Friday and Saturday were blehhh. I am looking forward to re-setting this week!

    Those low temperatures at night wherever you are going sound like perfect running weather to me! Maybe you'll switch things up and get a couple of night runs in. Mid 60s sounds like a great way to sneak in a speedwork session without risking heat stroke :)

    I like a mix of populated cities and the great outdoors for vacay. Every year I usually take a camping trip right about now, which I'm skipping this year in favor of Europe.... but every time I see camping gear I get a pang of sadness that I won't be going this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there is something that can be taken from those bleh runs.

      I agree, early morning and late evening runs should be in perfect weather.

      I think Europe is a great alternative to camping lol.

      Delete
  2. Hey, thanks for the shout out!
    I hope you all enjoy your vacation and break from the heat!
    I like vacations in the great outdoors--to a point. No camping. I'll hike, run explore, but I want a bed to sleep in, a shower, and preferably good food that I didn't have to make.
    My fam is doing a "staycation" this week--day trips etc. Today is raining, but the rest of the week looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very welcome. Any time you get away from work, out in the woods, it should always be a good time. Well we have a younger one that loves the idea of a tent so Ill be sleeping on the hard ground lol. We do a lot of staycations, love them because we are close enough in case there is an emergency at the house but far enough away that if still feels like a vacation.

      Delete
  3. oh wow! SO...90 is a break from the heat lol I hope you all have fabulous time and get some quality fun together. I will check out Cheryl's blog later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, its pretty bad when 90 is a break lol. No work = absolutely good time.

      Delete
  4. 109* heat?! That's insane!! Wow!! Hmm I like both views for vacation... country roads are fun to run on but I do like the entertainment of the city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh not so bad....ok yeah it takes a little crazy to do that lol.

      I think its good to have a mix, each has its own benefits.

      Delete
  5. I'm sort of torn between cities and the great outdoors...that's a tricky one, lol. I recently started reading Helly's blog but I'll be sure to check out Just 1 more mile. I love finding new blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha Helly is such an overachiever. Love that girl. :)
    Hooray for new blogs! I'm heading over to check it out now! I hope you have a marvelous vacation, friend! I am typically a city girl, but it's been so long that I've done anything outdoorsy that I find that idea very appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are having (had?) a great time out of town! I like to head somewhere quiet when I travel :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you're having/had a great vacation!

    What you consider cool for vacation is hot by my standards! :-) We are driving home from a week at the beach and I don't remember it ever being so nice down there in August. Every day was high 70's to low 80's, low humidity, and with a breeze coming in off of the ocean. We were very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Schlub! Hope you are keeping cool and having a good time on vacation. It's weird not to see your frequent posts here! Hope all is well and that you are getting in some good runs. Since we live in the mountains , we prefer to vacation on a beach! That doesn't happen often though! In fact we have yet to "vacation" together this summer. Opting for a short trip next month down to the Oregon coast. The weather here has turned a bit and it makes me long for cool, fall weather and lots of time outdoors!
    Cheers! ~ Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope y'all had a great vacation! I prefer less populated/outdoorsy areas to city-type settings for vacation.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!