Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Marriage Milestones and Dont Worry I Have Been Running



Mrs. Schlub and I have been officially married for 10 days now.  Now in those 10 days I’ve already managed to make her mad a few times (Yup I’m a guy, we do dumb stuff) but there is just something different about our life after the marriage.  I honestly feel like we have hit a whole new level and all my thoughts surround “Wow, I am married to this amazing woman.”  I feel like we should be celebrating 1 week married, 10 days married, 1 month married, etc. but of course we are adults (Ok very questionable in my case lol) and will handle this as such.  I just wanted to share and remind all my blogger friends when you see your spouse/significant other that there was once a honeymoon period for all of us and we should try to cherish that as much as possible, regardless of kids, many years together, or whatever else life throws our way. 
Along with that, yes I have been running regardless of being MIA from blogging.  Here is a quick recap of the past few days.  Sorry no pictures, I have really been slacking these past few days.
Saturday 7/12:

I headed out early that morning to meet up with the local running group for the scheduled long run, and actually ended up running into Helly On The Run.  It was pretty cool meeting a fellow blogger and overall a pretty solid run.  As much as I enjoy running on my own based on my personal schedule and however I feel on a given day, there are some benefits to running with a group.  It was much easier knocking out 8 miles while chatting with the runners alongside you, opposed to the usual grind with just the thoughts in my own head.  Another take away from this run was the improvement in my fitness.  We completed the 8 miles and had it not been for the heat, I contemplated running down another member of our group and logging a few more miles along side him.  The elevation gain is really paying off in training.
Planned - 8 miles          Actual - 8 miles          Elevation Gain - 28 ft

Sunday 7/13:
I had planned to meet up with a buddy and hit our local running store where they were holding a fun running event for our running group.  Well Saturday night the weather was pretty bad, I had old man softball with Mrs. Schlub, and in all honestly just wanted to sleep in on Sunday lol.  So I slept in and it was fantastic.

Planned - 3.1 miles          Actual - Rest Day          Elevation Gain - 0 ft
Monday 7/14:

Yesterday I didn’t really have anything planned.  Taking a look at my weekly mileage and what I have planned the rest of the week, I figured a nice easy 3-4 miles would do my legs good and add to my weekly total.  Well Buster and I came out pretty hard (1st mile - 7:40 min/mile) and pretty much gassed him out.  We ended up alternating walking/jogging the whole way back home.
Planned - 3 miles          Actual - 2.5 miles          Elevation Gain - 40 feet

Tuesday 7/15:
I woke up early to hit the trail before work planning to knock out 7-8 miles.  I wasn’t hitting the summit today so I would be missing about 400 feet of elevation gain but I needed the miles.  Hit the neighborhood roads right at 4am and hit the trail about 430.  I changed the batteries in my headlamp and this makes a HUGE difference.  I could actually see through the darkness and didn’t need to rely on the moon to find my way. As I wasn’t hitting the summit, I was able to hit the midway point and just sit and enjoy being out on the trails with all the noises and peace of the outdoors.  I can’t put into words how fantastic this was.  Have I ever told all of you how much I love running trails lol.

Planned - 8 miles          Actual - 8.10 miles          Elevation Gain - 1,004 feet
So what’s been going on with your training since last week?


12 comments:

  1. I'm going to die my legs hurt so bad! Haha! You're really cranking out the miles! 22 miles in 4 days is pretty good!

    I see you're still waking up crazy early. Since you're in the habit of it now, does it ever get easier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it actually is getting a bit easier.

      Delete
  2. Hats off to you for getting up so early! Great job on getting your runs in still. :) I can hear the love when you speak of your wife and happy 10 days of marriage! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wishes.

      I like to think I'm pretty dedicated for getting up that early, I guess stupidity can be argued as well lol

      Delete
  3. The wedding picture is so cute! Love it :) I am so happy for your both, it's wonderful to feel complete and content in life. Great job on the mileage! The elevation you are doing is going to make you so strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love that pic.

      I can feel the elevation working on my flat runs. I'm sticking to it so far.

      Delete
  4. That wedding picture is the best! :)

    I'm jealous that you met Helly and go to run with her!

    I totally know what you mean about sitting down midway and enjoying nature. Sometimes I take a little water break at the beach and just sit and listen to the waves. It's literally the most relaxing thing ever!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that pic.

      Yeah it was totally cool meeting a fellow blogger. Plus it helps to chat during long runs.

      Oh geez, sitting down at the beach trumps all my nature sounds lol

      Delete
  5. Good work getting a solid week! I'm not too good about getting in more than 3-4 miles before work. Great job getting up early.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a good week considering what we had going on. Need to keep building though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that wedding picture! So cute :) Great job on a solid week! That elevation gain on that last run is so crazy, and definitely pays off. For me just more base building before speed and tempo runs kick in for marathon training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that pic pretty much captures us to a "T". Pretty solid week, cant complain.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!