Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Casual Trail Run...Wait is that Possible??

I've been watching my mileage very carefully lately because I've been feeling really confident and I want to start throwing down some serious long runs and some serious vertical gain.  Well that is a recipe for disaster so I've been telling myself this is a building process and once my legs get use to heavy mileage I'll be good to go.
After Saturday's long run, I planned for this week to be a recovery week.  Lower mileage and lower effort on all the runs.  Monday Buster and I got out for a basic recovery run, 2.25 miles around our neighborhood just trying to stretch out the legs.  My legs were sluggish at first but then started to feel real good after the first mile.

Yesterday, I headed out to the trail before work to knock out a nice easy trail run.  Wait What???  Is that even possible?? 

The goal was to run 2 miles on the road leading to the trail head then 4 miles on the trail.  There was going to be a good amount of walking involved just to keep my pace down.  The run went perfectly!! 

I am slowy becoming a better runner in the dark with just my headlamp to light the way.  I'm not stumbling around as much and not kicking around as many rocks, which is huge when you run at 4am in the morning.  Leading up to the trail head I kept the pace around 10 min/mile and added in a few more walking breaks.  Once on the trail I took a lot more breaks to stop and enjoy the surroundings.  Here are some of the views I got, no sun to deal with that morning.



The run ended up being 6.76 miles, 578 feet of elevation gain, and a total run time of 1 hour 21 minutes.  Have a rest day planned for today with a LOT of stretching.

Do you include recovery weeks into your training plan??

14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pics!

    Yes yes yes to recovery weeks! As much as I love running, I also really love recovery weeks haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly learning all these things. I guess Im one of those that needs to be smacked in the face to realize the right way to do things lol

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hey if a coach is telling me its good, I better stick to it lol

      Delete
  3. You for sure should enjoy some easy pace runs and soak in the views :) Just lovely! I am a permanent easy pace receiver run this summer! What? you aren't supposed to recover for three whole months lol ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. receiver - darn auto correct! *recovery

      Delete
  4. Nice work! Recovery time is a must in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to embrace it more and more. Keep from getting injured.

      Delete
  5. I want your scenery. :) I definitely need to remember MORE recovery time once I can get back out there! My crappy bone structure can't handle too much pressure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all our states have their own special views. Recovery time is huge, i think that is why I was hurt so much ealier this year.

      Delete
  6. Hey here is a link to the start of my blog...
    http://cheryl.kjendal.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!