Introduction

Hello, thank you for joining me along my journey of becoming a Runner! I've always been an active guy, played sports in high school and continued into adult recreation sports after high school. As I started my family and found a career, the activity level slowly decreased. Well my Fiance had enough of our lazy ways and started on the Weight Watchers program and completely overhauled our daily meals. Step 2 was getting more active, so we decided to JOG our annual Juvenile Diabetes charity walk and actually enjoyed the activity. The month following the charity walk, we signed up for our first official 5K and had an absolute blast. From that point forward I have officially been BIT by the running bug and this is my journey to becoming a RUNNER!

Thursday, July 10, 2014

It's Time To Get Back To Business

So my last run before the wedding was last Thursday when I set a new PR in the half marathon.  Overall it was a great run, started out shooting for 10 miles and ended up knocking out 13.1.  Of course took a few days off for the wedding and I was actually perfectly fine missing a few days and didn’t miss running at all.  Once Monday came around and the wedding festivities were winding down, I started to get the running itch.

Tuesday and today, ran on the mountain bike trails but added a new
milestone to the runs.  I HIT ANOTHER SUMMIT!!!  I started to look at the hills near the “microwave tower” and realized that one of them had a prominent peak that seemed pretty obtainable.


Tuesday I started out on the road and had to walk a lot of the path to the trail head.  Not because I was tired, but because I was scared LOL.  I hit the road at about 415 am and realized that the sun was not coming up as fast as I had thought and there was NO WAY I was running out on the trail in the desert before the sun came up.  Once I hit the trail head I headed straight for the “microwave tower” which was the highest point I had reached on these trails previously.  Once there I was able to snap these beautiful pictures of the sun coming up.



I then proceeded to hike to the summit basically bushwacking up the hill as there was no clear trail on this hill.  Once on top this is the view I had.



This morning I took the same exact route but brought my headlamp with me as I need to cut a lot of time off the run to make it to work on time.

Here are the stats from these two runs:T

Tuesday:

8 miles, 2:10:00 running time, 1,450 elevation gain

Thursday:

8.5 miles, 1:46:23 running time, 1,453 elevation gain

What is the highest elevation point you've hit at this point in your running life?


16 comments:

  1. I wouldn't run up those trails in the dark either!! My highest elevation point running is about 1200 elevation gain...kind of a "run/hike". I have done some plain hikes as cross training higher, but I wasn't running or attempting to run them.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear, thought I was being a big baby lol.

      Hey at some of those higher elevations only option is to hike.

      Delete
  2. Do you like running with a headlamp? I have been thinking about getting one to trick myself into thinking early morning runs are a good idea, but I'm afraid I wouldn't like it. What kind do you have?

    Don't laugh ... my highest elevation gain during a run is a 50ft bridge :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually enjoy it a lot. Then again I use to do a lot of backpacking and headlamps were vital so Im pretty use to it. I would say try it out, most places like Walmart have some that are pretty cheap that work pretty well.

      Hey we all have our milestones, I remember when 10ft was my highest point. Plus there arent too many hills out there in Florida.

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a beautiful view! I love that you looked at it, thought "I could run that!" and went for it :) I am not sure what the highest I have gone is. Not very high at all. Maybe in the hundreds.

    It's interesting you say you didn't want to run it in the dark! Several trail races have portions of the race in the dark and I can't imagine how that change the experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is all Cordisimo's fault lol he told me that I would get bit by the summit bug and he is absolutely right. I look at all our mountain ranges and I'm making a list of them.

      I've seen some of those and I will run them eventually, problem on Tuesday was that I didnt have a headlamp, absolutely need that for footing and the wild animals.

      Delete
  4. Love it!!
    My highest elevation gain was done during my Grand Canyon Rim 2 Rim 2 Rim excursion :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, that must be some serious elevation gain. I have to knock out that run lol.

      Delete
  5. 14,286' on Mt. Lincoln I suppose. In terms of gain though it wasn't too much. for gain I topped out at 5,700' (with a peak elevation of like 14,000'). Awesome to see you hitting these peaks now on a regular basis. I don't see how you can get up that early so often, how many gallons of coffee are you chugging to stay awake at work? Keep up the hard work!

    As for running at night I think its just something you need to do more to get comfortable. In reality its the same trail. With the proper mindset (and a head lamp) you can have even more fun at night sometimes. Try going for an easy run at like 10PM sometime, I think they're really fun to do every so often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just unfair, 14K is ridiculous and its just wrong that you say that a gain of 5700 wasnt too much lol. No coffee buddy, but I usually have a redbull or monster before I run.

      I love running at night, but I absoltely need a headlamp. I dont want to roll an ankle or run into any large wild animals lol

      Delete
  6. I feel like such a wimp over here in Nova Scotia with all my "Sea Level" training...lol. But you know what, I'd climb those crazy elevations to see views like your pictures show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That the key, you have to put in the work to get those amazing views.

      Delete
  7. The view in the video was stunning, great capture of sunrise :) You are kicking #ss! I haven't been able to go to any elevation lately,it makes me sad. The headlamp was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really feel like Ive been having some good runs. Headlamp was huge, need that when you run at 4 am.

      Delete
  8. I love all of your sunrise pictures from the trail! I would not want to be on the trail before the sun started coming up, either. I don't want to meet whatever lurks on the trail at night! You are getting some great runs in lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some great trail pics as well. I feel like I've been getting in some good runs too, really building my confidence.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!